Thursday, March 21, 2013

MLB Preview Special

I’ve watched two Cubs Spring Training games, a little World Baseball Classic, and read a preview magazine, so I’m about as well informed as any person could possibly be about this upcoming season. This is where I’ll predict winners and losers with pinpoint accuracy. Bet the mortgage payment on it kind of predictions. I’ll even let you know which players and which teams will come straight out’a left field and surprise everyone, so you can be smug and insufferable among your friends when it happens, just like me. *

* Disclaimer—No, really. I know everything. No disclaimer is necessary.

It is ever so tantalizing (or ever so tiresome) to hop on the band wagon with the fashionable/obvious pre-season picks, with a couple dark horses thrown in, just to show how daring you are. Of course, always hedge your predictions with a few carefully placed conditionals, just show how intellectual your prognostication is.

I don’t know why I keep buying these preview magazines. With late player trades and free agent signings, they’re out of date before they’re even printed. I’ve tried out three different ones (that aren’t primarily fantasy stat mags), and I always come away slightly nauseated from absorbing so much minutiae. The predictions are never more than half-right. That’s a good thing though. If baseball was totally predictable in the off-season, it’d be the NBA.

Make sure and come back at the end of the season for my “OMG! How could I have gotten this so wrong!” post, along with a litany of excuses.

Well, this was a terrible intro. Let’s try it again tomorrow and start breaking it down by division.

No comments:

Post a Comment