Friday, September 27, 2013

Artifacts: Archie #70 and Uncle Scrooge #14

[Cyber-Pulp update: Made up some sample characters today.  A lot work left to do.  I've shown some rough draft material to playtester Evan.  He's excited and is helpfully trying to figure out how to break the game already.  "If my character goes into "Bullet Time," is he also healing at an accelerated rate?"]

I usually peruse the comics at my local used bookstore.  It's mostly 80's and 90's stuff, but the last time I was there they had a pile of comics from the 50's.  I thought I'd share some excerpts from them.


Archie #70
I was pretty stoked to find an old Archie comic.  The humor was the same as ever in an Archie comic, which is a good thing.  This one was in probably the worst shape of the bunch, but none of them were mint or anything close (read: valuable).  I already posted some of the interior pages at the Archie Fan Forum.

http://www.archiefans.com//index.php?action=gallery&g2_view=tags.VirtualAlbum&g2_tagName=Archie+70

[Edit: I just noticed that that link no longer works, so here are the scans.  Their server crashed a while back and everything I'd posted there disappeared.]











I like this Archie house ad and their house ads in general.


You gotta love this ad for 78 rpm vinyl records featuring Dean Martin with a selection of Mambo music.


Here's one of my favorite Archie characters: Katy Keene.


Archie's success spawned a lot of imitators.  Wilbur was Archie's attempt copying themselves.




Uncle Scrooge #14
This was a real find.  I love the old Carl Barks stuff.  The main story inside was The Lost Crown of Genghis Khan, where Scrooge and the boys encounter the Abominable Snowman.  My favorite part, though, was this story that I'd never seen before.











The last page is from the back cover.  Note the Pledge to Parents at the bottom.  Marvel and DC (maybe even Archie) certainly couldn't put something like that on their comics today.

No comments:

Post a Comment