Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2016 Baseball Playoff Predictions

Okay, let’s just get this out of the way.  My pre-season predictions mostly sucked.  Me and everyone else were wrong about the Astros, but don’t count them out for next season.  Look for them to reload and bulk up with some additions in the offseason.  The Rangers, at least, are looking good.

I dismissed the AL East and didn’t even pick a winner.  This division put three teams in the playoffs, but I think I still pegged the teams’ characters.  I had the Royals winning the Central, but they were undone by injuries and lack of reinforcements.  I did say that the Indians had a promising future and that future is now.  I did pick the Rangers to win the West.  In the NL East, I would have been right about the Mets winning, if nearly all of their starting pitching hadn’t broken down, and they still made the playoffs.  The Nationals won by default.  The Cubs did “run away” with the Central.  And here’s where I lose all credibility, I did pick the Diamondbacks to win the West.  I was all wrong about the Dodgers.  The Giants simultaneously should have won the division and have no business being the playoffs.  They had a confusing season.

But I’m not done predicting (mostly because I don’t have any money on this).  [I’m writing this on Monday October 3rd, but won’t be posting it for a week.  I promise not to change anything, no matter how bad these predictions make me look later.]  Here we go.  The O’s and Jays in the AL Wild Card, both have great offenses, but question marks in their pitching.  I’ll give it to the Orioles because of their bullpen.  I really don’t want the Blue Jays and the Rangers playing each other, mostly because it’ll turn the playoffs into a sideshow.  The Rangers have more than enough firepower and pitching to beat the Orioles.  On the other side, even after losing one of their better starting pitchers, the Indians should dominate the Red Sox.  As good as their offense is, the Sox pitching, especially David Price, will let them down.  Between the Indians and Rangers in the ALCS, the Rangers’ experience should get them into the World Series.

In the NL, the Mets and Giants are a virtual toss-up, but somebody has to win.  I’ll pick the Giants because of their experience (although you could make the same case for the Mets).  I heard two different analysts say the Giants would be a tough match up for the Cubs.  Unfortunately, they didn’t explain why, and I, for the life of me, can’t figure out what they’re talking about.  It’ll be the Cubs in a bludgeoning against either team.  The Nationals have been overlooked all season.  I think we’re all skeptical.  The Dodgers should beat them, just based on confidence.  It’ll be a tough one, but in the NLCS, the Cubs should top the Dodgers.  It may go the full seven games.        

Here I have definite problem.  I’ve been spoiled the last few years in the World Series where I’ve liked both teams involved.  Under my predictions, it’s going to be harder to be ambivalent this time.  I follow the Rangers on a nearly daily basis and want to see them win.  On the other hand, like everyone else (except White Sox and Cardinals fans), I’d like to see the Cubs win a World Series in my lifetime.  Wow, this is hard.

(Deep breath.)  With this match up, you’d have the two best teams in baseball meeting, so obviously they’d be fairly evenly matched.  I think the difference will be Adrian Beltre and Roughned Odor.  These two could will Texas to victory: Adrian with desire, Rougie with sheer grit.  Maybe next year, Chicago.  The Rangers will be the 2016 champions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment