Monday, July 3, 2017

Baseball Journal June 2017 Part 8

6-27-17
Rangers versus Indians.  Tyson Ross went six innings and gave up one run for the Rangers.  Steve Clevenger for the Indians did the same.  Adrian Beltre homered in the ninth to give the Rangers the lead.  In an encouraging development, Matt Bush came in in the bottom of the ninth and got the save.

The Rockies versus the Giants was the MLB free game.  It was blacked out, of course.  As near as I can figure, most of the entire western US is in my local viewing area.  Thankfully, I could still listen to Jon Miller do the radio call.  I hope Tim Hagerty understands me cheating on him.

Matt Cain broke three Rockies’ bats in the first.  I think that was likely a fluke, though he did go scoreless for six innings before giving up a three-run homer to Mark Reynolds.  It was 3-1 until the eighth, when the Giants tied the score.  Then it went to extras.  Sam Dyson came in for the Giants.  I’d wondered where he’d ended up.  Buster Posey, his teammate on this year’s WBC team, had spoken to management about him when he’d become available from the Rangers.  Dyson pitched well in his inning.

Unfortunately it was after midnight, and I didn’t want to stick around for the end, which turned out to be in the fourteen.  Denard Span singled in the winning run.  The Rockies’ losing streak continues.  The Chihuahuas won their game.  Carter Capps pitched an inning without any drama.

6-28-17
The Chihuahuas, Rangers, and Rockies all lost.  It was depressing.

6-29-17
Good news, today featured morning baseball between the Rangers and Indians.  Unfortunately, it was also Free Tea Day at Mcalisters and there were two different TV shows (Remington Steele and Emma Approved) on that I wanted to see at the same time.  There was too much distraction for me to really get into the game until late.  By that time, Corey Kluber and the Indians’ offense had effectively ended the game, 5-1 final.  Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks at least got in some pleasant chatting, which is usually a bad sign, insofar as being a good game.

Interesting stats after the game.  Over the four-game series, the Rangers hit nine home runs, the Indians zero.  But, the Rangers were outscored 26-15 over the series.  They also lost three of four.

Chihuahuas versus Rivercats.  What got into the balls or the water in El Paso this evening?  Seven home runs!  Unfortunately, the last one broke an 8-8 tie in the top of the ninth to the tune of a three-run homer for the 'Cats.  There was some confusion, as the run hit the batter's eye and dropped on the head of the fielder.  It was not a Jose Canseco-like out-fielding play however.

It wasn't over yet.  In the bottom, the pups loaded the bases with no outs.  One run came in on a wild pitch.  Another on a sac fly.  With the tying run on third and the crowd going wild, the next two batters were a ground out and a liner to the pitcher, respectively.  11-10 Rivercats final, yet somehow, I doubt anyone felt cheated.  Two other interesting things came up at the game.  One, the Chihuahuas welcomed their two-millionth fan.  Said fan had a friendly chat with Tim Hagerty.  (Could there be anyother kind of chat with Tim?)  Two, Tim mentioned an interesting tidbit during the game; 100 to 125 balls are used in the average Chihuahuas' game.

6-30-17
The bad news was that I was at work until after 3:00 am.  The good news was that I had plenty of baseball to keep me entertained while I was waiting on processing.  In fact, I probably overdid it trying to keep track of various games.  At one point, I was flipping between two games on TV, had the MLB free game going on the Internet, and had a couple of Gamedays going.  I’ll try to keep these games in order, even though they were all overlapping.  

The MLB free game was the Royals versus the Twins.  I’m always game to watch this group of Royals.  The team was wearing their gold trim uniforms tonight.  Lorenzo Cain, one of fav’s, made a great play in center in the ninth, as the Royals won going away, 8-1.  Eric Hosmer, another favorite, hit an excuse-me three-run opposite field home run.  Seldom have I seen a player more pleasantly surprised by a homer.  I also caught the ninth inning of the other Missouri team, the Cardinals, beating the Nationals by the same 8-1 score on the MLB Network.

I only got to listen to a bit of the Chihuahuas versus the Aces.  AJ Pollack was playing for the Aces and hit two home runs, and they are a good team in the PCL.  However, the team had two other players just called up to the D-Backs and perhaps it showed, as the pups won 13-4.  Carlos Villanueva had two homers himself for the Chihuahuas.  However, the best home run was by Aces player, Oswaldo Arcia.  As Tim Hagerty’s call put it, “Roy Hobbs is rounding the bases,” as Arcia hit one off the a light stand.

I almost spit up my drink while I was watching the score ticker on TV, and I wasn’t even drinking.  The Rangers had a fairly comfortable 7-4 lead late versus White Sox earlier.  The final was 8-7 White Sox.  Sputtering, I checked the box score.  Matt Bush had exploded in the ninth.  He gave up three runs and only got one out.  He’s done as closer.

The main game I was watching was the Rockies versus the Diamondbacks.  This was on the Fox Sports Arizona channel on TV.  The broadcast was pretty homer for the D-Backs, but Bob Brenly was still pretty interesting and informative with the color commentary.  At least I could finally watch a Rockies’ game.

Jon Gray, up from Albuquerque where I’d heard him last week versus the Chihuahuas on rehab, went six innings with 10 strikeouts and two earned runs for the Rockies.  Charlie Blackmon led off the game with a home run.  Nolan Arenado and Trevor Story walked and later scored in the third.  The team was even playing good defense.  The Rockies won 6-3, finally breaking their losing streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment