Thursday, April 12, 2018

Toy Soldiers

Excuse me, actually the boxes clearly state that these are NOT toys.  What they are is extremely high-priced miniatures . . . that produce childlike glee in everyone who sees them.  These were on sale at the estate sale that I went to last year,  but I didn't actually buy these until this last weekend.  I was trying to give my former co-worker an opportunity to sell them to others and save me from making an absurd purchase.  I don't even have anywhere to put them on display!

I went over to her house to buy two specific figures, but I knew I was in trouble when I took one out of the box and held it.  These figures are extraordinarily detailed.  They're also made of lead and have density and weight to them.  In short, they are a joy to behold.  I had to buy a few more.  Thank God I stopped myself at seven.  She had hundreds of figures there and they're all awesome.

These were the two figures I'd originally come for.  They weren't part of a set, so I could buy them without breaking up anything.


Here's Soldato Carlo Terrinoni.  He was sent to New France to help defend the colony from the Iroquois raids.   


Here's Robert Rogers' Servant from the Battle on Snowshoes, which occurred during the French and Indian War.  

And then I picked out a few other select figures.  Here's the indomitable Sherlock Holmes and his stalwart companion Dr. John Watson.  They are on the trail the nefarious Jack the Ripper.  Look out behind you!


And here's a couple of figures from the Napoleon in Egypt set, namely Napoleon himself.  The camel figure is absolutely magnificent in detail.  


 I was offered the whole Egypt set, but I couldn't justify the cost and would have had no where to put them.  Right now, the whole $70,000+ collection is in several storage bins in her garage.  As it was, I purchased these figures at a 75% discount.  And I'm still not going to say how much they cost.  But I have to say, if you're rich and have got the space, what a hobby!


No comments:

Post a Comment