Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Another Pre-Labor Day Sports Update Part 2




MLB
Unfortunately, this social justice suspension nonsense hit home with me as various baseball teams also decided not to play.  Friday night, the Astros and A’s declined to play, thus cheating me of my MLB.TV free game.  (By Sunday, they were sidelined for a positive cold test.  Serves them right.)  Since it was Jackie Robinson Day for baseball, it would have been disrespectful for the teams to just not show up, so they all came out in their #42 uniforms before walking away.  Chock stunts like this up to things that you can only get away with when there are no fans in the stands.    

These “impromptu” (staged) protests have morphed Jackie Robinson Day (since was rescheduled from its April date) into Jack Robinson Weekend because of all of the cancellations.  Maybe they’ll just all wear #42 jerseys for the rest of the season.  MLB let me break down the effect of your outreach to “urban youth” with this yearly memorial.  Inner city black kids still don’t watch or play your sport.  Thanks to Jackie Robinson Day however, instead of thinking baseball is boring, they now think its racist.  Nice job. 

8-25-20
But before this all happened, I was reminded of why I love this game (even if I hate the players, the teams, the league, and especially their media partners).  This day I got to see my second live no-hitter on MLB.TV’s free game.  I saw Phil Humber’s perfect game a few years ago.  I was listening when Yu Darvish took a perfect game into the ninth and lost out on it.  (He’s been pitching well this season since he grew an afro.)  This was first time I got to see one from the beginning.  The others were joined in progress. 

Today, it was Lucas Giolito for the White Sox no-hitting the Pirates.  I was watching the Pirates’ TV coverage because early on a power surge took out the White Sox’s broadcast.  That was too bad.  The current White Sox’s broadcast team is really good.  I do like the Pirates’ guys too.  They were constantly mentioning the no-hitter, perhaps to jinx it.  I don’t know if the home town guys were mentioning it also to try and build up the hype.

Giolito got his no-hitter in 101 pitches with 13 strikeouts and one walk.  By the last two innings, he was getting a bit wild, but still baffling Pirate hitters.  The hardest hit ball of the night off him was on his last pitch.  It was a hard dying line drive caught on the run.  Thank goodness for Sabrmetric fielder positioning.  Catcher James McCann pointed to the ump afterward, likely to thank him.  The ump was calling low strikes, which helped out Giolito, but he was calling it for both teams consistently.

As if that wasn’t enough, on FS1 I caught the end of the Giants versus the Dodgers.  Giant Brandon Belt managed to homer to the deepest part of Oracle Park to tie the score in the ninth.  It was Dodger closer, Kenley Jansen’s first blown save this season.  Both teams scored in the tenth and took the tie into the eleventh.  The Dodgers scored one in the top of the frame.  The Giants scored one to tie, and then Donavan Solano, who’s been a revelation this season and was hitting over .400, hit a two-run homer to win it.  He’d been 0 for 5 up to that point.

Meanwhile on Fox Sports AZ, the Rockies and D-Backs were in the bottom of the ninth.  There were two outs with the bases loaded and the Rox up by one.  D-Back Nick Ahmed struck out to end the game.  I only mention this because the next night, the same thing happened.  It was even worse then, because the Rockies went through three relievers in the inning, who gave up four runs, to get the Diamondbacks to within a run.  Poor Nick.

8-29-20
Today, FOX broadcast the Cardinals and Indians in an early game.  The pregame was a social justice cluster foxtrot.  The early game coverage was likewise, as a couple of black players were mic’d up during the game to comment on events.  They’ve done this during the All-Star Game, but this is frankly a bad idea during a game that counts.  They’ve got to at least use some smaller, completely wireless equipment on the players.  They also talked to the managers, but I didn’t listen to any of the comments. 

I did hear one of the announcers get one of the new rules wrong.  This is the third time this season I’ve heard a baseball announcer do this.  I knew the new rules for automatic runners and the three-batter rule for relievers off the top of my head.  How do these professional broadcasters not know them?  On the other side of the booth, AJ Pierzynski was on his way to being the best color commentator in baseball.  He’d obviously been studying the batters and pitchers like he was still in the lineup.

A Mexican station was showing the Mets and Yankees playing at the same time.  I was flipping back and forth.  The Yankees won their game on a wild pitch scoring a runner from third.  It was a good preview for the Cardinals and Indians’ conclusion.  After a 1-1 tie, they went to extra innings.  In the eleventh, the Indians managed to take a one-run lead.  The Cardinals only managed to commit a pair of baserunning blunders that cost them the game.  The last one was future Hall of Famer Yadier Molina letting himself get caught in a rundown as part of a game-ending double play. 

My dad likes the Cardinals, and I’d told him ahead of time about the game.  I was kind of glad he didn’t watch it.  I can only hope Aunt Judy, a die-hard Cardinals fan, missed this one too.         

8/30/20
As much crap as I’ve given Philly fans over the years, I have to give credit where credit is due.  Listening to the ESPN Radio game on Sunday night, the announcers commented that Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia probably had the most fan cutouts in the stands.  Along with that, there were hardcore fans standing outside the stadium at the gates cheering and blowing horns.  Philly fans will go to any lengths to boo their team.  (If I ever start a Youtube channel, I’ll do my crowd-pleasing Philly fan impersonation.  I’ve gotten some laughs from it.)   

I don’t’ think every stadium is allowing the cutouts.  I haven’t seen any in Yankee Stadium surprisingly.  They’ve got a tarp over the home plate seats.  I was watching the Rays playing the Marlins earlier in the day.  Unsurprisingly, the Marlins don’t have any cutouts eithers.  Having watched them play, I wonder if they have any fans.  They committed three errors and gave up 12 runs.  The Marlins did come back late to make a game of it in a 12-7 loss.  I noticed that they also got rid of that weird statue in the outfield and replaced it with a new club area.  I think they moved the thing outside.  God knows how they did it.  It was huge. 

Meanwhile later in Philadelphia, there was this exchange from the announcers.  “Hey, the Philly Phanatic is here.”  “You know, Statcast had the Philly Phanatic rated second in fan interaction in the league last year.”  “Did they adjust the analytics for the ballpark?  Because, he should be number one.”  Now, this is real information (and comedy).  As for the game, the Braves went up 10-0 in the second.  The final score was 12-10 Braves.  The Phillies certainly made a game of it and you have to appreciate the effort.  “Boooo! You guys suck!  You miserable losers!  Booo!”  Okay, maybe the Philly fans standing around the gate didn’t appreciate it.  The big baseball news of the night was a flurry of moves made by the Padres.  We’ll see what happens.

NASCAR
I have no social justice news for the Saturday Chase field-setting race at Daytona.  Gasp!  I didn’t see all of the prerace, but it seems like the broadcast played it all pretty straight.  They didn’t even mention the cold much.  On Friday night, I was literally checking the NASCAR website to see if the event was going to be canceled for virtue signaling reasons.  The crucial difference with the MLB and NBA was that there was going to be a bunch of fans there for the race.  I doubt they would have been understanding if the drivers had come out and said they weren’t going to race and then called all the fans a bunch of racists.  Having fans who all have a shotgun rack in their pickups has a way keeping you honest.        

Ron joined me and dad for the race to watch on dad’s new TV.  I missed the prerace getting dinner with Ron.  We went to Sonic, which I totally blame on their constant Toasted Smore Shake commercials during the last NASCAR race.  The meal was overpriced and very average.  The small drinks were watered down and more like kid’s sized cups.  That said, the shake was awesome.  No regrets.

Well, I do sort of regret not taking notes for the race.  I didn’t think I’d be writing about it.  There was a lot of fuel-mileage jockeying for the first half of the race.  The TV coverage focused on the “bubble battle” between the four drivers trying to get the last two spots in the Chase.  There was only one caution for damage until late in the race and that only involved one car hitting the wall.

Then there were two Big Ones, both of which red flagged the field.  Jimmie Johnson, who had raced hard for one of those final Chase spots, got caught up in one of them and will not be in contention for an eighth championship in his final full-time season.  Joey Logano, who’d won both Stage 1 and Stage 2, was also taken out.  Ryan Newman, who’d had a horrific crash at the Daytona 500 to start the season, had a somewhat subdued return to the track this time.  He was taken out in a wreck, but okay afterwards.  While other drivers were being diplomatic about the incident, Ryan, eschewing a mask for the interview, entertainingly went off on Tyler Reddick for causing it and some other drivers.   

It would be William Byron getting his maiden win and getting into the Chase in a Green/White/Checkers victory.  He was an absolute picture of youthful exuberance when interviewed on track after the win.  It was hard not to feel good for him.  Byron had come to NASCAR partly through a successful career in iRacing.  He’d done well earlier this year when the drivers were doing the virtual racing.  Speaking of Chases, Chase Elliot came in second and pushed Byron to the victory.  Both cars had given up track position up front late to take on fresh tires.  That turned out to be the winning move.

The race was pretty efficient, as it came in at just a bit over three hours.  Ron, who has a pretty humdrum life lately doing caretaking, had a great time watching.  I felt pretty exhilarated from seeing a good race and just enjoying a sporting event, instead of cringing through it.  See, I’m saying something positive about sports. 

That’s it for now, unless I’m watching the Kentucky Derby next weekend and the horses all decide to sit it out in protest.  (There won’t be any fans there.  It could happen.)  I’m also pretty sure I’m not going to be doing a Labor Day post.  The only event I’d want to cover would be NASCAR’s Southern 500, but it’s on cable, which I don’t have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment