Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Holiday Comics Review Part 4 Fantasy Comics

Continued from Part 3

 




King-Size Conan #1

I read this last out of the stack, though I actually went to the comic store to get this, but I’m putting it first for this post because the cover looks cooler than the rest.  I saw Zack’s video review before reading and it didn’t spoil anything.  It also confirmed my own opinion: this was a really good comic.  For $7 freaking dollars, it better be!  It is double-sized on slick paper with minimal ad intrusion (though there should have been none for the price).  This was put out to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Marvel Conan comics. 




The issue is supposed to show Conan in his different careers, like barbarian and thief.  For being called “King-size,” it doesn’t show Conan as the king of Aquilonia.  The artwork is excellent, except for the Kevin Eastman segment.  (I hate to just single someone out, but it sticks out like sore thumb.)  All of the stories are pretty well written.  I’ll pick the Thief story as my favorite. 

 

I’m not sure about that price, but out of the stack of comics I got, this was easily the best of the bunch.

 


Vertigo Essentials: Fables #1

I picked this one up as an afterthought, after getting the Conan and the two gift comics.  Since it comes so highly recommended, I couldn’t resist trying Fables as a $1 sampler of the first issue.  The main problem with Fables is that it’s been co-opted by other works before and after, such as Into the Woods and Once Upon a Time.  This is a much more thoughtful work with a highly developed mythos.

    






 

I think.  It’s hard to tell a lot from the first issue of a series that ran for (let me look at the checklist provided with the issue) over 25 volumes.  I know there’s a whole bunch more to the story and setting, but a serial killer investigation featuring fairy tale characters didn’t really grab me.  I will say that the artwork certainly did.  I’m already in love with Snow White.  For the art alone, I’d probably at least want to get (rechecking the checklist) Volume 1. 


 

This is a double-sized comic, though the comic itself is only normal-sized.  The rest of the pages are a catalogue of DC trades.  There’s some interesting-looking stuff in there.

           






Arion #’s 1, 13, 17

None of the comics being reviewed here are decompressed quick reads, by the way.  I have to give credit for that at least.  It’s nice to get into a meaty comic.  I’ve mentioned Arion before as an intriguing backup feature in Warlord.  These comics were the truly happy finds in the bargain bin.  I’d wanted to see what a full issue would look like.

Issue #1 unfortunately picks up right where the backup storyline ended.  I say, “unfortunately,” because anyone picking this up off a grocery store spinner rack in the 80’s would have been hopelessly confused by it.  Even having read what directly led to this issue, I was lost.  The story starts with Arion in a celestial metaphysical battle with cosmic entities.  It’s not entirely relatable . . . for anybody.  I would have started with some sort of recap of the setting and characters first before resuming the ongoing storyline.  On the other hand, the artwork is magnificent and thoroughly compelling.  As a reader in the 80’s, I would have given this comic another chance next month.  I suppose I should scan more examples, but, really, need you see more than the above picture? 

 

Issue #13 was a bit water damaged and I can’t believe that before they put in the bin, the store was selling this as a collector’s item.  It mostly featured the barbarian/Indian supporting character, Wyynde.  #17 featured Arion mostly wallowing in angst-y spiritual conflict.  Artist and co-creator Jan Duursema seems to be really torn in fascination between frail pretty boys and muscular he-men.  In any case, the art’s really good. 

 

It’s not so much the story that falls flat, it’s the characters, especially the main character.  (Grognardia also made this observation.)  The character takes a lot of inspiration from Elric I’m told, but he’s not any sort of anti-hero.  He feels more like a victim than a hero for some reason.  I guess because he’s continuously suffering.  Wyynde feels like he should be main protagonist, but that might be a little too Conan-ish. 

 

So, Arion is basically a heroic derivative of Elric, who was the complete opposite of Conan, and also pairs him up with a derivative of Conan.  Not to say this couldn’t have worked.  It should have!  Certainly with this artwork!  This comic is a frustrating enigma.  If I find any more classic issues, I’ll pick them up, but my expectations have been diminished.  The worst of it is that this character has been thoroughly mangled by all of the DC universal reboots.  (I think he was Power Girl’s dad at one point, or something like that.)  Arion would certainly be worth a coherent relaunch if somebody can figure out what’s wrong with the concept. 

 

Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment