Thursday, August 12, 2021

Comics Review: Wolverine, Elvira, and Vincent Price . . .

 . . . walk into a bar and immediately start reviewing each other's comics.  I've apparently overestimated my ability to make up jokes from poor premises.  I got nothing.  


I bought a pile of comics the other day from going to Zia Comics and Coas Books after I'd come into work early because I'd left my truck at the shop.  So why not spend more money today? I thought.  I'll review the used comics from Coas after I finish reading them.  The two comics I got at Zia Comics were gifts.  I skimmed through them and made a few scans.  


True Believers: Wolverine Origin



Just to say it, this comic book series did not need to be.  As someone else said, "The more you know about Wolverine, the less interesting he is."  Retconning him back to WWII was bad enough, but into the 19th century was groan-inducing.  Then you end up with the problem of Logan constantly losing his memory in increasingly plot-convenient ways.  Somehow, others from the past also seem to forget about him.  Unfortunately, this problem was continued right into the movies.      


As for the comic, I didn't really read it.  It's only a reprint of the first issue.  It looked tedious and like it wasn't going to significantly answer any questions about the character.  (According to Wikipedia, it didn't.)  Boy, I hope the MCU either totally changes Wolverine's origin (thus eventually probably changing it in the comics, which I probably won't read) or leaves it a complete mystery.  
  

Elvira Meets Vincent Price #1



I noticed this on the rack of new comics and remembered that a friend of mine at work is a fan of both actors, so I picked it up for him.  


This one is a winner.  It's well-drawn.  It's a little curious that Elvira looks a bit like a cartoon, while Vincent is drawn realistically.  


The story is good.  Elvira is down on her luck and gets recruited by the ghost of Vincent Price for a quest to find a lost movie.  


The dialogue is fairly witty and funny.  Even when Elvira makes a bad joke, she'll comment on how bad it was.  That's very in-character.  (There's one very poor political joke against republicans.  There should have been an apology for that one.)  


This one would be worth collecting the rest of the series.  There's also apparently more Elvira series available.  I had no idea that she was a comic book franchise.  


Lastly, here's a nice ad for Vampirella by Adam Hughes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment