Friday, September 8, 2023

NM State Aggies vs UNLV Rebels Soccer 9-7-23

Mya Hammack poster that is currently on my refrigerator.

I’m still not caught up at work from being gone on Friday.  Taking another day off this week wasn’t a good idea.  This Friday I’m going to be very busy at work.  However, after missing the last two soccer matches, I wanted to see the Soccer girls.  Those missed games have been a nil-nil tie and a 3-1 win respectively. 

 

Today, I only managed to go to Legend Burger (so much for the diet, but it was worth it) and I watched the D&D movie finally.  It had its moments.  There were a bunch of Easter Eggs for the long-time game fans.  (I’m assuming the kids from the 80’s D&D Cartoon escaped the trap they were caught in somehow.)  Hugh Grant and Chris Pine were great. 

 

Otherwise, it wasn’t worthwhile.  I wasn’t thrilled over the rest of the casting and the story was questionable in how the heist was set up.  They made sure to give all the characters motivations and yet, they still felt poorly motivated.  I’m glad I didn’t pay to see it.  I was still pissed off over the OGL thing at the time.  The movie is worth watching once (for free).  If only they’d done a live action movie about the 80’s cartoon.


Mya Hammack and Brooke Schultz looking charming for their interview.

I also listened to a local podcast featuring Mya Hammack (my favorite) and Brooke Schultz.  They talked about their careers and how they got on the team.  They are from the Pacific Northwest and played together up there on a club team in this offseason.  Mya mentioned she’d been converted to defense this year.  I thought I remembered she was an offensive player last year.  She’s also played every minute this season.  Coach Baarts must like her, too.          

 

It was at least a nice night for a game.  It was warm, maybe a little muggy, but there was a cool breeze blowing across the field.  There were some dark, scattered clouds.  It looked like it might have been raining outside of town, but there wasn’t a threat of rain in town.  I went wearing my new Aggie bucket hat.  (I probably looked like an idiot.)  I picked up a tea and popcorn, which would be my dinner after that heavy burger.  The ref waved to me when I came in.  I smiled and nodded.  It was the same ref I’d said I told to have a “good game” at an earlier game.                

 

A good crowd turned out (over 600).  I was worried the NFL Kickoff would take away from it, but even some of the Aggie Football team came.  The UNLV Rebels (I guess they dropped the “Runnin’” part) brought a few fans, including one beautiful blonde that might have been a player’s sister.  She sat somewhere behind me, so she wasn’t a distraction, however another beautiful girl sat in front of me that was a spitting image of KerolSmile, one of my favorite Twitch streamers.  A friend of hers came in and sat next to her, so I didn’t get to meet her, which was probably a good thing.

 

The warmup music was horrible, as usual.  The worst was a sampling/remix of House of Pain’s classic Jump Around.  It was bad and remaking sampled songs is distasteful in and of itself.  Valerie Guha was back starting in goal for the Aggies.  It was strange that she came in as a sub late in the previous game.  Brooke also started the game.  She’d been out with injury this season.  Two of the Rebels were kneelers during the Anthem.  That’s way more embarrassing than my floppy hat.

 

First Half

The Rebels got an early corner, but nothing came of it.  Both teams seemed to be feeling each other out for the first 10 minutes.  38’ left in the half, a hard kicked ball went straight into the stands.  It missed an older woman across the aisle.  Worried it would hit someone behind me, I reached out to deflect the ball, which I did.  It went to the bottom of the stands, where another fan put it back in play.  Ow!  Those balls are hard and that was a hard kick.  I was fine for the rest of the game, though I’m typing this with sore fingers now.  (And they’re still sore the next day, I already had a high degree of appreciation for goalies and that’s only increased now.)

 

36’ Sydnee Johnson made the first real Aggie attack on a rush, which the Rebels’ goalie, Lucia Guemes, fell on.  35’ Mya H. made a nice breakup of an attack and a rear-facing kick.  34’ Ariana Leamons took a high shot on the Rebel’s goal.  Then, disaster!  Right after that shot, a high bouncing goalie kick came down to the Aggies’ end to a Rebel player.  Two defenders were chasing it and Valerie came out to get it, but all they could do was watch helplessly as the ball was chipped into the goal.  Cassie Villanueva was credited with this very soft goal.  1-0 UNLV.

 

The Aggies redoubled on offense.  31’ Jena Johannes took a long shot from the wing.  29’ the Aggies made some good passing on an attack.  Gia Valenti took a shot that went high and wide.  25’ here we go.  Bianca Chacon made a rolling free kick on the outside wing of the Rebels’ box to Gia, who rolled it right past Guemes, 1-1 tied.  I was glad that the Aggies at least wouldn’t be losing because of that first goal. 

 

23’ Villanueva made a blatant grab on Ari’s jersey.  That was an easy yellow card call.  21’ the Rebels took a shot on the wing.  It went high, very high.  I think the wind caught it, as the ball flew into the excavation pit behind the south goal.  19’ there are mass subs for both teams. 

 

17’ Rebel corner kick, Valerie made a good save on the follow up shot that was right in front of the goal that might have been kicked with a knee.  16’ off an Aggie corner, there was a foul in the Rebel box.  I didn’t see the foul, but there was no argument as Bianca was given a penalty kick.  (It was a handball.)  She buried it with anger.  2-1 Aggies. 

 

13’ Tati Jerman and a Rebel player had each other in headlock on the far side of the field.  The ref broke them up.  12’ Aggie corner.  Guemes made two nice saves.  9’ good Aggie passing caught the Rebels off guard.  Shila Rasoul had a nearly open shot on goal.  Guemes managed to cutoff her angle to stop the shot. 

 

4’ a well set up Aggie attack was spoiled by a slip on the turf in the Rebels’ box.  3’ a very hard liner shot on the Aggie goal.  Val caught it, no problem, though I think I felt it from the stands.  1’ Rebel counter against one defender.  The shot went wide across the goal. 

 

Disaster struck again!  With under a minute left, a Rebel free kick at midfield ended up by the Aggie goal.  Two Rebels were right there.  Where were the Aggies?  Heading to the locker room?  Michelle Madrid made a great pass and Marley Salveter headed the ball right in.  Halftime and we were suddenly tied at 2.  Shots on Goal were even at 3 and Corners at 2.  

 

Halftime

I’m glad I wasn’t in the Aggie locker room.  Coach Baarts was probably already planning on letting the team have it for that first goal.  He must have been apoplectic after the second.  Both goalies were warming up during the half, likely glad to be out of earshot of their coaches. 

 

[Annoying Monday Edit: Okay, I was pretty sure I saw that I saw the backup goalies warming up at halftime, which would make sense given the game situation.  However, it’s hard to get the goalie’s number in play, which is why I write it down at the beginning of the match.  They didn’t post the official stats that night, when I wrote out this out, nor the next day.  I went with what stats were posted, which didn’t mention the goalie change, even though I was pretty sure it had happened.  I’ve since edited the post.]

 

The Outlaws Pep Band and the Drum Line performed enthusiastically and . . .  oh my goodness . . .  the Hot Pan Am Girl was there putting the performance on Aggie Social Media.  Be still my heart.  Between her, the two hot girls in the stands, and Mya (and some other girls on the team), I don’t know how I concentrated to take notes.  (I didn’t.  I missed naming all of the goal scorers.  If I got some other names on plays wrong that’s just normal for me.)  PAG was in a black tank top and little black shorts.  After the performance, she walked across the field by herself like a dream.  The Band could have played her out with Dreamweaver.

 

Second Half

The Aggie girls returned to the field still holding their red ears.  Karolanne Lafourtune subbed in for the Aggies in goal and Hanne Breur came in for the Rebels.  I don’t know if I’d necessarily blame either first half goalie for the four total goals, but both coaches probably thought it’d be better to make a change.  43’ Mya H. moved up on offense and took a long shot, which sailed over the Rebel’s goal.  40’ a great pass downfield by Mya Gonzales to Bianca and then to Xitlaly Hernandez, but there was no shot taken.

 

39’ a Rebel attack in the Aggie box was foiled and a corner after.  38’ Shila made a rush into the Rebel box, but was blown offside.  37’ near disaster.  Karol punched away an accidental own goal attempt by Jena and then fell on another shot.  Jena seized up in front of the net after nearly giving the Rebels the lead.  36’ Karol made another point blank save. 

 

The action going up and down the field at this point was furious enough that I couldn’t keep up.  34’ Karol made another stop from a shot on the wing and caught the corner kick that came after.  33’ Loma McNeese did some fancy dribbling front of the stands to the delight of the crowd and passed to Bianca, who passed to Shila for a shot.  Breur fell on it. 

 

It’s a disaster movie!  29’ another high bouncer from the other side of the field (apparently off an Aggie header) went past Mya H. and over Karol.  Villanueva was right there behind them to shepherd the ball in with a nudge for her second goal.  3-2 Rebels.  (Up to this point, I was going to say Karolanne probably won the starting goalie job.  Afterward, I wasn’t so sure.)

 

26’ Xitlaly got hurt away from the ball.  There was a stoppage as she limped off field, though she’d return later.  25’ Loma turned and took a quick kick off a corner.  It went just high.  24’ Bianca took two shots.  One was blocked by a defender.  The goalie fell on the other.  21’ with some good passing, the Rebels got into the Aggie box and took a shot across the goal.  They got a pair corners with the attack, but nothing came of them.

 

18’ Ari took a long shot that was caught.  17’ a shot off an Aggie corner was caught.  14’ Loma took a desperate-looking long shot that went way off.  13’ Karol scooped up a rolling shot.  10’ Meredith Scott was knocked down by the Rebel box making a charge.  No call.  Right after, she took a long shot that was caught.  Meredith was really hustling all over the field in the second half. 

 

8’ the Band took a direct hit.  Thankfully, the music didn’t stop.  7’ Mya H. made a long shot that was caught.  Mya had moved up into an offensive role by this point.  6’ a yellow was given for a delay by UNLV.  4’ Shila had an open shot and hit the side of the net.  2’ Mya H. took another shot that just missed.  With under a minute, the ball took a bounce over the north auxiliary stands.  It wasn’t recovered until there were 10 seconds left.  I doubt it mattered.  Time expired.  Aggies 2, UNLV/Aggie Misplays 3.

 

That was disappointing.  Like the ASU game, I think the Aggies beat themselves more than were beaten.  Actually, tonight, I’m sure of it.  Credit to UNLV for capitalizing on all of the Aggies’ mistakes.  They also did a good job of neutralizing Loma, Sydnee, and Xitlaly.  I thought the Aggies did a really good job of getting the ball into position to take a shot several times, but didn’t finish.  Apart from their lapses, the defense and goalkeeping were very good.  UNLV finished up 7-5 in shots on goal and 6-2 in corners. 

 

Now, all I have to look forward to is a bunch of work on Friday and sore fingers.  At least, I have the weekend off from Aggie sports reporting.  I need to recover after a couple of bad losses.  

 


A Ref, Valeria Guha, Mya Hammack, Ariana Leamons, and Bianca Chacon all standing for the Anthem, unlike UNLV.

No comments:

Post a Comment