Wednesday, December 13, 2023

NM State Aggies vs WNM Mustangs Women’s Basketball 12-12-23


Sylena Peterson flexes.

I almost didn’t go today.  I was depressed for no specific reason.  An overcast sky seemed to make everything dreary.  If my ennui had peaked earlier, I’d might have called work and canceled the day off.  I was finally caught up at work from taking four days off last month.  Probably the only reason I went was a promoted cool giveaway poster for the upcoming Aggie bowl game.  I’ll put up a picture of it in another post.  I’m embarrassed to admit this, but it was worth going just to get it. 

 

Since this was a double header with the Aggie Men and Women, I sort of decided I’d hit the grill after the Women’s game, so I’d be going for dinner, too.  (The grill is only open for Men’s games.)  Both games were with NAIA directional New Mexico colleges.  These would not be marquee matchups.  I did see my broker today (maybe that’s why I was depressed).  He said that NM State was legislatively obligated to play these schools every year.  He said he also had season tickets, but hadn’t used them yet.    

 

I ran into Marketing Director Nicole Sack up front.  I immediately asked the question I wanted to ask somebody in charge last game.  Since the Saturday Women’s game had been moved up to accommodate the bowl game, would they be doing a watch party at the Pan-Am Center on the video boards after the basketball game?  She darn near laughed at me.  I didn’t bother with the fund-raising ideas I had for the watch party.  So much for that.

 

I did pick up a poster, which were all gone after the Women’s game.  The merch kiosk had bowl game t-shirts on sale.  I really don’t need any more t-shirts, but . . . I’ll think about it again on Saturday.  If Aggie Football loses, those t-shirts might not be there two weeks from now for the next basketball game.  If they win, there’ll be a winning t-shirt there.  It’s a gamble either way.

 

The game was scheduled for 5:00pm.  When the Anthem started, I think there were like 25 people in the stands.  The attendance was later listed at 432.  Most of those fans arrived later.  The Western New Mexico Mustangs coach ran his team off the court before the Anthem.  The team and assistants looked like they were running for free ice cream.  The Cheerleaders looked a bit freaked out performing in front of nearly empty stands.  I could hear myself clapping at times, which never happens normally.  WNM looked like a fairly tall, spirited group of girls.  Our Coach Adams was wearing an Aggie Artic camo hoodie for tonight’s fashion report. 

 

First Quarter

The Aggies started the game off with a travel call.  On defense, Coach Adams was all over the team right at the start.  The other coach was just as animated.  8’ left in the quarter, Sianny Sanchez-Oliver fought over the ball twice with a much larger, Diamond Moore.  Good to see some fight in the Aggies.  The team committed another travel right after, but Sylena Peterson stole the ball back and hit a jumper, 6-3 Aggies.

 

In the crowd, a guy came in wearing a sharp crimson bowler.  They should sell those at the kiosk.  A lady came in with him wearing a rhinestone-studded Aggie jacket that looked like something Coach Adams had probably worn.  The Aggies were using their whole bench that was available.  Imani Warren, who I hadn’t seen before, came in.  5’ Sy made another jumper to make it 8-4.  The Mustangs took a timeout. 

 

4’ Sabou Gueye made a steal.  Lucia Yenes then found Ene Adams inside for a bucket, 10-6 Aggies.  Ene scored again with an offensive rebound and a layup.  2’ left, Sha’Kaia Parker was another new face that came in.  The Aggies started trapping and got a turnover.  The Band, who was at half-strength because most of the students were on break, started chanting, “Double digits!” at the Mustangs. 

 

1’ Sabou lost the handle on a pass, but managed to get back ahold of it and Euro-step her way to the basket for a layup.  Ene made another layup and drew a foul.  She missed the free throw, but Sabou got the rebound and the bucket.  With under a minute left, Ene made an “Ole” move for two under the basket.  Jade Goynes for WNM hit a last second jumper to make it 21-12 after 10 minutes. 

 

Second Quarter

The Aggies began with another travel.  (I’ll stop harping on it when they stop doing it.)  Sabou began the Aggie scoring with a steal and a layup, 23-12 Aggies.  Sabou got another steal and passed to Molly Kaiser for a jumper.  27-12 Aggies and timeout WNM.

 

Sylena had a turnover.  WNM missed their layup and Nxerro Maluw (no, I’m not sure how to pronounce that) went hard into the goal.  She came up okay.  5’ Aggie trapping forced a WNM travel and a turnover.  Ene and Nxerro nearly exchanged blows in the lane.  Thankfully, that didn’t happen.  However, Sabou committed her third foul and came out.        

     

4’ left in the quarter, Ene and Nxerro tangled again.  Ene came away with free throws, but missed both.  Jaila Harding got the rebound and a layup, 35-14.  3’ Molly followed that by going coast-to-coast, 37-14.  Next trip, Molly went into the goal.  She was okay and made her free throws, 41-16. 

 

Imani traveled making a spin move to the basket.  She then committed a foul.  The coach left her in.  She was coaching Imani on court during the free throws.  Imani was fouled afterward and made a free throw.  The half ended, 42-18 Aggies.

 

Halftime

A kid’s hip hop dance troop performed.  They were cute and worked it.  The parents in the crowd were very excited.  The crowd had filled in by this time.  I walked up the steps to the bathroom and ran into that guy that wanted to buy my truck at the last game.  Still not for sale.

 

Third Quarter

Coach Adams took an early timeout right after the quarter started.  I have no idea why.  Nxerro dropped in a 3 to make it 42-21.  Santa was in the house.  I noticed him by the north end seats talking to the kids there.  What a guy!  He wasn’t formally announced until after the game.  He was up front getting pictures with kids and not-kids.  (No, not me.  I sort of wanted to, but didn’t.) 

 

Coach Adams was at the end of the bench talking to Jaila.  She was spending a lot of time individually coaching in this game.  7’ Sydney Wright hit a 3 for the Mustangs, 34-26.  Molly found Ene under the basket, 46-26.  Sianny made a steal.  Sabou would be fouled on the possession and made her free throws, 48-26. 

 

5’ Molly made an unexpected 3, 51-28 Aggies.  Sabou committed her fourth foul and came out.  I noticed a Men’s team member watching the game up by the concourse.  I don’t know who.  He was in the shadows and I also don’t know anybody on the team.  Molly dropped in another 3.  She was feeling it.  54-29 and timeout WNM. 

 

Broadcaster Jack Nixon arrived.  I checked the time.  It was still going to be a while till the Men’s pregame.  4’ Lucia missed a 3.  Molly grabbed the rebound and passed it back to Lucia cutting to the basket for the layup and a foul.  She missed the free throw, but the Aggies got two offensive rebounds before Sylena was fouled and made two free throws, 58-29. 

 

3’ Sy made a nice pass to Lucia, who made a nice move to the basket for a bucket, 60-31.  Ene made a scoop shot and a free throw with a foul, 63-31.  Molly took a charge on defense.  She was playing like it was a close game.  Molly then had a steal by picking up a player’s dribble and made a jumper, 65-31.  1’ WNM missed two free throws, but Jade got the rebound and stuck it back in.  Diamond out-jumped two taller Aggie players for a rebound on defense.  Jaila finished the quarter with a 3, 68-35 Aggies.

 

Fourth Quarter

The reserves mostly took over for the final 10 minutes.  8’ Imani hit a 3, got a steal, was fouled on the layup, and converted her two free throws, 75-38.  Sianny and Nxerro collided on court and both went to the floor.  They were okay.  These girls must be living right to be avoiding injury in this game. 

 

Nxerro made a big block on Imani.  5’ Mustang Brooke Rodgers dropped in a 3, 77-45.  Parker had a layup for her first points as an Aggie.  4’ Lucia grabbed a rebound, which she’d been doing quite a bit during the game, and hit a 3.  2’ Joslyn Montez entered the game for WNM.  PA Ed announced her as being from Las Cruces and she got a big cheer from the crowd.  She was easily the smallest player on court.  Parker hit a 3 and then fought to the basket for a layup.  The Aggies won 89-54.

 

The Aggie ladies took care of business, but the Mustangs played hard all the way through.  Nxerro Maluw led for WNM with 12 points.  For the Aggies, Molly Kaiser was huge with 22 points.  Ene Adams scored 15 and Lucia Yenes had 13 points with 9 rebounds.  The Aggies had 10 steals.  Sabou Gueye had 3 of them. 

 

Like I said, the students were out, so there were no ushers in the arena.  I was sitting in a prime seat, but I could have moved elsewhere and stayed for the Men’s game.  I just didn’t feel like it.  I could listen on the radio anyway.  I did want dinner before going.  The grill was open to get a burger.  I finally got a good look at the menu and nearly changed my mind.  They also have chicken fingers, chili cheese fries, Papa John’s pizza slices, and full pizzas for $20.  I stuck with the burger, put it in my coat pocket, and left for home.

 

(The burger was good, especially given it was only $6.  After what had happened with the pretzel last time, I probably shouldn’t have trusted them.  I’ve had the pizza before.  It’s kind of cold, since they deliver it from the restaurant and just keep it warm at the concessions.  I’m interested in trying the fries and chicken fingers.)

 

I talked to dad at home and he mentioned UTEP Volleyball.  They were playing in the championship game in the national tournament they were in tonight.  They lost in the championship to Wichita State in straight sets, but the Miners had a great run.  They played six games, all at home, in front of capacity crowds.  I wonder if they accepted the invitation to the tournament because they play in Memorial Gym, which they don’t share with the basketball teams, and wouldn’t have to travel.  This may be why the Aggies didn’t play in it. 

 

(I had a Men’s game program that I was going to use for a picture, but I lost it at the game.  I tried to get another, but they’d run out like with those Bowl posters.)  I listened to the Aggie Men’s game against Northern New Mexico.  There were just under 4,000 at the game and they watched the Aggies finish the first half down by 1 to the NAIA team.  At the half, they had the Teddy Bear toss.  Santa and Frozen characters were on the floor with the Grinch, as fans tossed their teddy bears on court.  The Grinch tried to steal them, but was stopped by Santa. 

 

About halfway through the second half, the Aggies finally got the lead and the crowd got into it.  NNM tied it late.  The Aggies lost the lead, but retook it and finally won 76-71.  It was even closer than that score indicates.  In the postgame, Coach Hooten had admiration for NNM and apologized for his players’ efforts.  Between injuries and eligibility issues, he hasn’t had much to work with this season.  He pledged to make a donation to the university to make up for it.  (Pave the parking lot and make Coach Kill happy.)  The Coach also flirted with Jack’s analyst, Anita Skipper, at the end of the interview.  You sly dog.

 

Okay, Saturday is the big bowl game and I plan on being at the Women’s game before it.  I guess I won’t be watching the football game, but I’ll listen on the radio.    

No comments:

Post a Comment