Friday, January 8, 2016

Artifacts: Anime Sketches

I was a pretty big Anime fan (as detailed here.)

Gotta start with the girl who started it all for me: Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Lynn Minmei!  From Robotech or Macross, of course.





Nagisa here is from Iczer-1.  I used to own a movie book of OVA #3.  It was pretty cool, but all in Japanese, of course. 



I also used to have several issues of Newtype from Japan.  Once again, they were all in Japanese, so I can't identify who I was drawing from the magazine here.


Haruhiko Mikimoto was Minmei's father, or rather character designer.  Afterward, he did a comic for Newtype called Marionette Generation.  Beautiful to look at, but the later translated volumes I bought, had little in the way of story.  Strong characters though.  This is Kozue.


This is the comic book version of Nike from Appleseed.



I bought Appleseed Ex Machina last year used and have watched and enjoyed it several times.  This is Hitomi from the movie.



Mai, the Psychic Girl was one of the original translated manga brought here to the US.  The excellent artwork was one of the main good points.  The other was our plucky, super-powered heroine, Mai.   


Xenon came along shortly after Mai.  It was one of my favorites.  It was about a high school student who'd been unwillingly turned into a cyborg by an evil corporation.  Mechanized violence ensued.  It ended kinda disappointingly vague, but that's Japanese sci-fi for you.  This is Asuka's main love interest, Sonoko.


This is Mylene from Macross 7, which I have not seen.  She's Max and Miriya's daughter, supposedly.  (Everyone knows Dana and Maia are their actual daughters.)  The hair coloring here is probably all wrong.


Lastly, a little mash up of Gen 13 and Evangelion.  I had a fully colored version that got donated to a local comic book store.


No comments:

Post a Comment