Tuesday, May 2, 2017

NM State Aggies vs GCU Lopes Baseball 4-29-17


Welcome to “The Longest Day.”  We start at the Aggie Athletics Yard Sale.  This event was suddenly announced on various Aggie Internet feeds earlier in the week and then in paper.  I don’t think they’ve done this before.  I mentioned it to Ron, and he was interested in going.  We got there about 15 till 12:00, which was the announced start time.  As we pulled up, there was already a mob scene picking over the items that had been unloaded from the Aggie football trailer.  Yeah, apparently there was a market for used Aggie sports stuff in town.

The makeshift yard sale was being held on the largely unused practice field between the baseball and softball fields.  At the gate, there were a couple of young women were handing out free Subway sandwiches.  They had a box full of them.  I declined, since we were planning on getting lunch before the game, right after shopping, but that was very nice of them.  Inside were a huge number of football jerseys hanging on the fence and on tables.  As tempted as I was, I passed on them, doubting I could find my size, and moreover, doubting I’d have much use for them.  The prices on the jerseys had already been reduced from $25 to $10. 


This was good, since I’d found a couple of baseball jerseys, which was what I’d come looking for.  I picked the likeliest one to come close to fitting me.  So, now I’m officially an obnoxious sports fan (as pictured above).  There were also a pile of athletic shoes, but, as I found out later, all of the normal people sizes were bought by a local retailer for $700.  There were a bunch of women’s volleyball jerseys that probably would have fit me, but the women’s cut on them, wouldn’t have made me look good.  There were light jackets, shorts, and sweats too, but all in extremely large sizes. 

Ron picked up a few items, including an Aggie hoodie.  Somehow, in a pile of plain athletic t-shirts, I found one medium shirt.  I considered myself lucky.  The exit line to the two checkers was very long.  We met a nice older lady that frequented Aggie games there.  Also very nice were the people running the checkouts, especially given the crowd.  I did notice a member of the Aggie soccer team, who I think was working there.  I got separated from Ron while I was looking at girl who uncannily reminded me of somebody, and spent another 10 minutes in line.    

Having some time before the baseball game, we went to Schlotzsky’s for lunch.  I ordered the brisket mac and cheese, which was a nice warm dish, which was what I needed.  Journalism calls this “burying the lead.”  You see, it was about 50 degrees with a 20 mph cold wind, making it miserable outside.  There were also big, heavy clouds overhead, which thankfully today didn’t produce any rain.  Though layered up, I was already cold, and we planned on seeing the scheduled baseball and softball games today.  Also having lunch there today was the Aggie Men’s Tennis team.  They were a very international lot of fellows.  (Unfortunately it wasn’t the girl’s team.  I would have liked to have seen if Eli Arnaudova is as gorgeous in real life as her pictures on the Aggie sports website.) 

I found out Ron had actually been at last night’s baseball game against Grand Canyon University.  This surprised me, since he’d e-mailed me that night and asked where he could get the game online.  I told him it was on the Aggievision station on cable, but what he was really looking for was a radio game call, since he was there.  That game was a bit of a heartbreaker.  During the game, he chatted with Athletic Director Mario Moccia.  They mostly talked about the game, so no insider information this time.

At the stadium, we discovered that that wind was blowing straight into the stands.  Oh boy.  The pressbox was empty, so no game call today either.  Ron found today’s giveaway card of Marcel after the game started.  (He never found the Ruger Rodriguez card that was supposed to be handed out on Friday.)  Today’s PA voice was very chatty.  He mentioned that the average temperature this time of year is 90 degrees.  “Somehow, we’ll persevere.”  I finally recognized him as the soccer PA, whose call of the halftime fan competitions was one of the most entertaining things at those soccer matches.  Before the game, he announced that today’s baseball ticket would get you into the softball match for free.  Presumably, this was because the scheduled events were going to overlap.  It was nice gesture to the fans. 

I had a great view of the low-hanging clouds around the Organ Mountains from my seat.  Ron got a text from his wife at home.  She was reporting rain and hail.  Thankfully, no harm done, and it wasn’t anywhere near the stadium.  A fellow with Parkinson’s Disease running a support group threw out the first pitch.  It was a lefty toss that “Caught the outside corner for a strike,” as the PA said.  (And it did actually.)  He got a big hand from the crowd and congratulations from the entire team.  If you can believe it, the crowd was great, in spite of the weather.  They were bundled up and many had blankets.  We had a celebrity sitting next to us, Striking the Wonder Dog, who retrieves tees at Aggie football games.  Oh, how I wanted to leap over and hug and pet said dog, but his human support staff didn’t seem keen on fan interaction (no matter how longingly or often I looked at the dog).

“Yeah these Grand Canyon guys are nuthin’!  We’re gonna send ‘em back to their hole and bury them!  These guys suck!” said an obnoxious fan in his new baseball jersey.  After a couple comments like that, Ron couldn’t look at me without laughing.  Meanwhile in the outfield, smoke from the Diamond Club barbeque drifted out onto the field.  Music from the nearby softball field, were practice was going on, was also coming into the baseball stadium, providing something of a soundtrack for the first half of the game.      

And a thousand words into this, we start the actual game recap (which probably won’t take a thousand words).  Kyle Bradish started for the Aggies with his 6-0 record.  In the first, freshman Joey Ortiz, who’s slumping with the bat, shows why he’s in the lineup anyway, his glove.  On the first batter of the game, he ran down a foul by the bullpen, and then caught the second out in foul territory.  In the bottom of the first, Striking laid down and took a nap.  That seemed like a bad sign.
The top of the second ended with a great leaping catch on a liner by Tristan Carranza.  By the bottom of the inning, Striking’s owner was holding him.  I came to the conclusion I needed a dog on cold days like this.  There was some confusion in booth.  They started alternating between different announcers, and forgot to announce Brian Kiser in his at bat.  I actually stepped up and shouted it out myself.  This new shirt was having an effect on me.

The top of the third was eventful.  The bottom line is that three Lope runs scored.  Bradish walked three in a row, including walking in a run.  During a long meeting on the mound, a GCU fan shouted, “Get a phone number!  Let’s go!”  I wonder if he was wearing a team jersey.  A guy wearing the same style jersey I was walked in.  It got huffy for a moment, like we’d shown up at a party wearing the same dress.  (That might not have been the best analogy.)  The inning finally ended on a nifty flip from LJ Hatch to Brent Sakurai at second.  0-3 Lopes.

The sun finally came out in the top of the fourth, but it didn’t help the wind or temperature.  Austin Botello made a great running, over the shoulder catch in the outfield.  LJ followed that with a great stop on a dive and throw to first for the final throw.  Unintelligible notes follow.  I probably couldn’t feel my fingers at that point, but the scorecard shows that the Aggies bookended an error with a couple of hits to score twice.  Unfortunately, Bradish surrendered a two-run homer in the next inning.  2-5 Lopes.

By the top of the sixth, I’m in the bathroom.  It’s heated, and I don’t want to leave.  Going back to my seat, I see the Lopes’ left fielder make a great diving catch to rob LJ of a hit.  By the top of the seventh, the first game of the softball double header had started.  The girl PA was doing the announcing.  There was lots of yelling from there from this point on, but no telling who was winning.  Two guys in front of us were discussing the yard sale, but then switched over to NFL Draft talk IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL.  (I can’t escape it.  The Draft is my least favorite sporting event, perhaps because it isn’t actually a sporting event.)  Bradish surrendered another run and gave way to a parade of relievers, who ended up giving up another run.  Lopes 7, Aggies 2.  The end.  (I stopped taking notes after the sixth.)

My player of the game is easily Lopes’ starting pitcher, Jake Repavich.  He went 8 and 1/3 and gave up 2 runs, 1 earned.  The best I can say for the Aggies is that their fielding kept the score from being worse.  From here, Ron and I made our way the softball field to see what all the fuss was about there.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment