Monday, May 15, 2017

WAC Softball Tournament 5-11-17 and 5-12-17

I’m just going to lead with the spoiler: the New Mexico State Aggies won the WAC Softball Championship!  I’m removing the suspense here for two reasons.  One, the real story isn’t the destination, but rather the journey.  Two, and more practically, my notes and scorekeeping on Championship Saturday were terrible.  Weather conditions were not conducive to writing on loose papers, and I had trouble processing the events I was witnessing.    

But, let’s start with the first days of the tournament.  I was not able to attend, owing to work obligations.  (Keep in mind, I’d already taken off two days last month for baseball games [4-4 and 4-19].)  Ron bought a full tournament pass.  I’d meant to get such a pass last year when the volleyball tournament was here.  Instead, Ron made me stay at work to do an upgrade that week on a computer system that he then out-sourced this year.  But I’m not bitter.  Given that he lost his job right after that, it’s hard to get too angry.  At least he’s gotten to spend more time with his granddaughters and has been able to attend events like this.     


5-11-17
The WAC digital network was supposed to be broadcasting this over the Internet.  Perhaps they were for other people, but not for me.  I never got any video off their website.  I followed along on Statcast, which, much like Gameday, is really nerve-wracking to watch.  In their first game versus CSU-Bakersfield, the Aggies went down 1-2 early.  In the sixth, NMSU managed to tie it and take the lead.  With the bases loaded, Kelsey Horton came to bat.  She’d been 0-3 for that day and, no doubt, came up to bat angry.  Of course, what happened next was a grand slam home run.  I wondered if she’d see another strike for the rest of the tournament.  Aggies won 7-2.

On the team Twitter feed I noticed pictures from the pre-tournament dinner.  The girls clean up nice in evening wear.  I think they were in the club area at Aggie Memorial Stadium.  Kelsey won the Player of the Year award.  Freshman Nikki Butler won Rookie of the Year.  Earlier in the week, pitcher Kayla Green won Pitcher of the Week honors for her clutch save at the Florida-Atlantic game the week before.      

5-12-17
The Aggies lost in their afternoon game 4-6, against Seattle U.  This was bad.  The day before, I had communicated with Ron.  He’d planned on going to the championship game on Saturday, regardless of who was playing.  I agreed to go as well.  Now with this loss, I was on the hook for a $12 ticket to a game that I possibly couldn’t care less about.  I spent the rest of the afternoon enmeshed in inner turmoil.  

Bringing up the Aggie game later, I caught the end of the UMKC Roo’s versus the Bakersfield Roadrunners.  I did a double take on the score.  The Roo’s won 20-10.  Ron later told me that it was run-ruled in the fifth after an endless inning.  The Aggies faced the Roo’s immediately afterward.  The final score was 15-3 Aggies, but more importantly, the Aggies would be in the championship.  Kelsey hit a two-run homer in the game.  This girl is unstoppable!

When I saw Ron on Saturday, I noticed a bright, yellow softball in the back seat of his car.  “Where’d that come from?” I asked.  Ron told me he’d gotten the other day, but sort of had to pay for it.  It was a practice ball that got fouled into the parking lot.  It bounced and hit his car, putting a dent in it.  Since it wasn’t a game ball, Ron went ahead and kept it.  He confirmed that the WAC gave out little wooden bats to kids on the first day (unfortunately they weren’t selling them).  Ron’s nemesis, the old man, had been there for the games with a big sign.  Sometimes he accidently held it upside down to Ron’s amusement.  Ron was sore and tired from being out at the ballpark for last two days, but still eager to see the Aggie girls playing for the championship.

We’ve set the stage and told you how it’s going to end, but you’re not prepared for what’s about to happen.

Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment