Monday, August 27, 2018

NM State Aggies vs Pacific Tigers Soccer 8-26-18


The Aggie Soccer team has started the season 0-4, if you count the exhibition game with ASU to start the season.  They were close in that game, but I think goalie Dmitri Fong came out before the end, maybe injured.  They played to a 1-0 loss at San Diego State against the Aztecs.  Hey, I’ve actually seen those girls play on TV (10-6-17 and 11-4-17).  I love their goalie’s name, Gabby English.  The worst thing about that loss was the Aztecs were a player down because a red card.  I don’t know how the rules work on that.  They might have gotten the player back later or not, but it was for at least a half. 

They lost in Arizona again to Albany.  Dmitri was out for that game, but I think Aileen Galicia had a goal in that one.  Coach Rob Baarts was on the Aggie Coaches Show after that game.  He said that Dmitri was out with back spasms and he had started a freshman, Mia Montano.  (Actually, I don’t think he mentioned any player names during the interview.)  He was promoting the team’s first home game and promised a “New and exciting” style of play.  I ran into the coach earlier in the year (1-20-18), and I did mention that the team was playing in a defensive, counter-punching style.   

Friday night (8-24-18), I followed along on the team’s Twitter feed as they played Northern Arizona.  The Aggies had a two-goal lead, but were tied at the end of regulation.  They lost in overtime, 3-2.  Dmitri started the match, but was not in the game by the overtime.  I suspect she may have come out for injury.  I won’t say the Aggies’ season hinges on Dmitri being healthy, but I’m sure everyone concerned would like her to be in goal and able to play well.  Aileen had another goal in the game.  I’m sorry I’m playing favorites and not mentioning every scorer. 

We’re up-to-date.  Ron was not able to go with me for today’s game, so I was solo again.  My Aggie Country Pass got me right in.  That’s one.  If I go to 27 more games this school year, the pass is paid for and everything else is a bonus.  (Don’t worry.  I won’t keep a countdown in every post, just mentally.)  I thought I’d go without an umbrella today, but after roughly two seconds out in today’s heat and humidity, I changed my mind.  It was announced at 91 degrees and I’d guess 50 to 60% humidity.  The guy sitting next to me was actually using a little water bottle to spray himself.

There was no courtesy water today, so I bought a Gatorade.  There was a nice poster of Rebecca Mazzie and Micaela Miavec on the table though.  I’ll post it next time.  Becca actually has an Alex Morgan-y look going for her in the picture.  (Oh, Alex.  Sigh.)  There was a group of students attending the table.  One asked if I was a student.  How polite of you, child.  Actually I think they were looking for blood donors.  Boy, all you’d need to help out with the heat and humidity today would be some blood loss.   

The crowd seemed pretty thin to start, but filled in well during the first half.  I wished it was a bit more sparse, a few specific fans actually.  (I only heard a couple of comments about last night’s football loss.  Maybe that’s for better.)  Right off the bat before the introductions, some of the fans were complaining about the refs.  Suddenly, I was reminded of how much I hate soccer fans.  I’m going to make a guess they’re the same everywhere, and not just annoying here. 

Let’s just vent on this right now.  I am sick of these people coaching their daughters from the stands, if not outright deriding them.  (You’ll see what I mean later.)  I’m tired of them getting on the refs, no matter how much they might deserve it.  At least baseball umps can directly eject fans to keep some order.  There’s no way to really adequately call this game by the rules anyway (just like the NFL).  It’s probably the nature of the sport itself that brings out this bad fan behavior, not just limited to drunken English hooligans.  Over-serving the angry parents here might cause a riot though.      

Fan-wise, the Old Man was there at one end of the stands cheering.  However, I didn’t see Danny.  Nor did I see Marty, the senior lady that the girls had befriended last year.  If she’d been there, I would have gone with her to see the girls after the game.  The Aggie Baseball team came to support the girls.  They must like them.  One of guys is really handsome, but I don’t know who he is without his player number and a lineup card.  I’m sure the girls know who he is.  Another guy had a drop dead gorgeous girlfriend with him. 

On that note, some girls from the Swimming and Diving team were there along with their coach.  Two of the girls were really hot.  Unfortunately, one that wasn’t so hot kept yelling for a friend on the soccer team to embarrass her, but really mostly succeeded in embarrassing herself.  She might have come into the stands over-served already.  I have this vision of getting banned from the park for what I write and then complaining, “You let all these obnoxious jerks in and you’re kicking me out!”

Team-wise, star goalie Dmitri Fong was on crutches.  I don’t know what the specific injury is, but it’s probably not good.  I hope it isn’t season-ending.  I really like watching Dmitri play.  Beyond her goaltending, she very much takes charge whenever she has the ball.  Another big loss is Devin Hart, but that was from graduation.  Devin was one of the big scorers for last years’ team and she was really nice.  (I still have her poster up.  I can’t quite part with it.)  Cristina Bertoldo also graduated and was a good defensive presence.  I got a glimpse of her at this match later.   

I noticed a few players that didn’t return to the roster from last year.  Mariah Baker was hard to miss out on field with her piles of curly, red hair (and freckles).  Alyssa Greenblatt was also easy to spot with her long, blonde hair.  Mariah and Alyssa seemed a bit awkward playing at times, but I was rooting for them to do well on the field.  Diminutive Puerto Rican Tuti Tirado, whom I’d spoken to after a couple of games, was gone too.  Raemann Garcia was the third goalie, but actually saw quite a bit of action.  I advocated for her to start at one point (9-10-17) when Dmitri was injured.  Good thing the coach didn’t listen to me.  After that rough fill in, Ashley Martin bounced back with a good game (9-17-17).  

The baseball players should have been right at home as the PA played that Genesis song that gets played before their games start.  (I should really get the name of that song.)  An angry-looking black cloud appeared out of nowhere to the south of the stadium.  I hadn’t brought my jacket, thinking there wouldn’t be any weather issues for a couple of hours, but I did have my umbrella.  There was an undesired five-minute delay before starting the match for a repair on one of the nets.  I was just about a puddle of sweat already.  My dear Aileen Galicia stood near the stands waiting to play and danced a bit.  That was about as happy as she’d get during the match.         

First Half
And another thing I hate about soccer is my notes on the games, which are almost as hard to decipher and worthless as my volleyball notes.  At least my volleyball notes describe players scoring, not almost scoring, as they do here.  One of the parents shouted out some last minute instructions to his daughter, but did add a “Have fun out there!”  That’s the most encouraging thing I’ve ever heard a soccer parent say here. 

Given that I heard several different parents say a dozen times during the match, “Shoot it!”  I’m only surprised I didn’t hear one of them yell it before the opening the whistle.  If Ron had been with me, I might have been an ass and started yelling, “Shoot it!” if the ball was a midfield or the goalie was holding it, until somebody figured out I was mocking them.  And I would have been!  On the rare occasions when a player took that advice, the ball inevitably bounced off a defender or never reached the goal.  If the players aren’t shooting the ball, it’s probably because they know they don’t have a clear shot.           

Okay, let’s start.  42’ minutes left (I’m still not going to bother translating the scoreboard timekeeping into proper soccer timing), the Aggies got a shot on a breakaway that went high.  40’ Kaitlyn May (who apparently has friends on the Swim team) made a great defensive play, kicking a good chance out of the Aggie box.  38’ a Pacific player hit the scoreboard over the Aggie goal with a terrific bang.  That must have been a very hard kick. 

“Run her over!” Thanks, dad.  More great coaching from the stands.  36’ Aileen made a solo breakaway.  (You wouldn’t have to tell her to run someone over.)  35’ Mia went down in goal during a rush at the Aggie net.  Samantha Afonso made two no-hands blocks from point blank to save a goal.   Alternately, it was #14 Kaitlyn.  Fonzi is #4.  (That’s her up top with Dmitri in the poster above.)  It’s hard to see who’s at the goal when there’s a bunch bodies there.  Either way, it was a tremendous.

34’ there were a pair of Aggie offsides at midfield.  I’m officially confused about the offsides rule again.  Thank goodness I’m not playing.  26’ it’s still hot and bright, but we all heard a couple of rolls of thunder from that dark cloud.  It didn’t seem that threatening at this point.  24’ after two good passes, Audriana Chavez took a good shot.  If they could just develop plays like that more often.  20’ Sarina Stockton got taken out at the knees and hit the deck.  Her dad (at least I hope, because otherwise this would really be awkward) shouted and told her to get up and keep playing.  Even with the somewhat disappointing result of this match (spoilers), that was the low point of the match for me.  Easy.

19’ Pacific hit the Aggie crossbar.  They’re getting closer.  18’ Emma Smith drove the field immediately afterward and took a shot.  Right after, a girl, who didn’t even entirely have possession of the ball at the time, was encouraged to (you guessed it) “Shoot it!”  13’ after a good crossing pass, Aileen did a great dribble and took a shot.  12’ Fonzi kicked away another shot on an open Aggie goal.  Mia recovered and then caught a follow up shot. 

8’ Fonzi stripped a Pacific player on the Aggie side of the field and led an attack downfield.  Aileen kicked it to the front of the net from the corner.  I have #9 Alexa Barrera taking a headshot on goal that was saved.  (That might not be the correct player.)  Aileen looked like she was starting to cramp, but at 5’ left she kicked another assist from the corner.  A shot in front of the net just missed.  Right before the half, Aileen gave Kaitlyn a quick chewing out in front of the stands during play.  It was a little shocking, but Aileen is a senior and should be one of the leaders on the team (as opposed to some yahoo in the stands shouting out random instructions).            

Halftime
Oh, and the score was nil-nil at the half.  There were only three official shots on goal total after 45 minutes of play.  There was a quick student soccer skills competition on field.  They surely didn’t want them running on field too long, lest they collapse from the heat.  Lovely and sweet Cristina Bertoldo walked by the stands.  She now seems to be an assistant with the team.  Cristina spoke briefly with a parent nearby.  If she’d come a little closer, I would have said “Hello,” but I didn’t want to bother her otherwise.  It was nice to see her.  Maybe I’ll get another chance later in the season to talk to her. 

Second Half
Some more clouds rolled in and the wind kicked up.  I wasn’t worried about the weather yet, but was happy for the breeze.  43’ right off the bat off a free kick outside the Aggie box, Abigail Wolf put one just under the crossbar and over a jumping Mia.  She made a good try at it, but up to this point, Mia had probably been bailed out mostly by her teammates’ efforts.  1-0 Pacific.   

This might have let the air out of the crowd and my notetaking, which got sparse at this point.  36’ Becca got a pass to Aileen in front of the net, who took a shot that was blocked by the Pacific goalie.  34’ nearly the same play, but the ball went just wide.  After two good rushes at the net, Aileen may have been gassed.  She came out.

Pacific took the offensive.  (In fairness, it might not have been because Aileen wasn’t in.)  22’ off another free kick, a Pacific header went over Mia into the net.  I’d attribute the goal, but I couldn’t see the player and DJ Downs kind of muttered her name afterward.  2-0 Pacific.  21’ sprinkles started falling on the field.  This is sort of welcome, but worrisome. 

The Aggies went into offensive mode.  On the sidelines, Coach Baarts was becoming noticeably animated and vocal.  18’ Micaela Milavec got a shot on goal.  16’ Aileen came back in.  15’ Fonzi took a shot outside the Pacific box.  In spite of the two goals, the ball was on the Pacific end of the field for most of the half.  2’ left in the game.  Micaela again, but this time she fired right in front of the net.   “Gooooooooooal!”  2-1 Pacific.  I almost missed the goal while I was scribbling (as usual).  I’m not sure how the play developed, but I think Pacific was distracted too and fell asleep on defense.  There was no one except the goalie in front of Micaela. 

2-1 Pacific was the final.  Official shots on goals were 6 to 4 for Pacific.  Yeah, I’m not a soccer expert.  I don’t how to break this down.  I would say the girls are playing more of a pressure offense under Coach Baarts than under Coach Delgado, so on some level it was more entertaining.  The Aggies had chances on offense, but Pacific could have scored more too, but for some good impromptu defensive work at the net. 

The two goals the Aggies gave up were off free kicks, so penalties played a part in the loss.  I think Dmitri would have stopped both shots, but mostly because she’s taller than Mia.  Obviously, telling someone to “Be taller,” isn’t constructive criticism.  Ashley Martin has more experience as a goalie, but she’s even shorter than Mia.  If Dmitri can’t come back, there might need to be some strategic rethinking.  The team is a work in progress.      

“Please clear the stands.  There’s lightning in the area.”  Well, that announcement took everyone’s mind off the loss right away.  I didn’t even stick around to see the girls wave to the crowd, if they did.  There was a thunderclap about a minute later, so I’d have cleared the field too.  It didn’t look that stormy, and in fact, it didn’t hit for another hour and was pretty brief. 


I told myself to go straight home, or stop by Schlotzsky’s, which is on the way.  (I’m afraid to go back.  If the ice cream machine is still gone, I may not recover.)  Instead, I ended up at What-a-burger.  It turns out my stomach will control the wheel when hungry enough.  I may have lost a few pounds just from sweating.  I used a coupon for free chicken strips, which I inhaled and was still hungry afterward.  I’m hoping to go to the game this Friday and that it will work out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment