Monday, January 22, 2018

NM State Aggies vs Utah Valley Wolverines Men’s Basketball 1-20-18


On the one hand, I was pretty disappointed.  I had tickets to this game and hospitality suite and I wasn’t able to get anyone else to go with me.  Ron cancelled Friday evening.  This was a bad time to find a replacement for a Saturday afternoon event.  Four other people I asked had plans or the really lame excuse of being afraid of catching the flu.  (Thanks for that last one, Dad.  Thank goodness you can’t catch the flu going to the grocery store.)  On the other hand, right after walking into the main concourse, I was able to pick up this cool caricature poster.  They were giving these out at Thursday’s game along with autographs.  I felt pretty fortunate they had leftovers for Saturday, especially given that everyone I showed this to wanted one.  I couldn’t find any after the game to get for them.


Barbara Hubbard Room
If I wasn’t over the disappointment with the poster, I got another highlight soon after I entered the Hub.  (Do I need say that I got these tickets from work?)  A rather handsome fellow introduced himself to me as Rob Baarts while I was standing in line for food.  “I know you,” I said, “You’re the new soccer coach.”  I got a few minutes with him and spent my time praising the girls for their community outreach.  I also couldn’t help gushing over Aileen Galicia.  He liked my comment about her having an “a sweet little angel face,” but “absolutely ferocious on the field.”  I put in a good word for goalie, Dmitri Fong as well.  Hopefully, somebody else there talked about the team with him, but at least one person did.  When Baarts was formally introduced to the room, he asked how many of them had gone to an Aggie Soccer game.  About half the room raised their hands.

It was a full house, standing room only, at the Hub.  Last time (12-3-17), it was about half full.  I saw Chuck, who got me the tickets, and his wife.  (Later in the bathroom, I ran in to the company officer who gave him the tickets and got say “Thanks,” to him.)  One of our senior officers was also there.  I’d worn my Arizona Bowl t-shirt and she liked it.  Athletic Director Mario Moccia was there working the room.  He was wearing an Arizona Bowl tie.  He’d come there from the Aggie Football Rally downtown and was beaming.  More on that later. 

The meal was pasta salad, rolled tacos, nachos, and cookies.  I normally hate cold pasta (it should be served hot) and rolled tacos (they taste better unrolled), but these were actually really good.  I’m still shocked that they apparently weren’t serving soft drinks, just alcohol, tea, and water.  I attempted to look around the packed walls again at the pictures of all of the acts that had been at the Pan-Am Center.  I was only able to note Kenny Loggins, Sting, Olivia Newton-John, and a production of Cats.  I saw a Sting concert here in the late 80’s.  I think my parents saw Olivia in the 70’s when I was a child.  (I was probably left at home with my beautiful Hawaiian babysitter.)

Associate Head Coach Lou Gudino gave the room a briefing on today’s opponent, the Utah Valley Wolverines.  This team, like the Aggies, was 4-0 in conference, and they were riding an 8-game winning streak.  While Grand Canyon was the pre-season favorite in the WAC, the Aggies have seen the Wolverines as another one of their prime competitors.  They were not taking them lightly.  The coach didn’t single out any of their players, but said they expected a fast-paced, high-scoring game.  With Aggies’ road success and this big matchup, little wonder the room was full of buzzing fans.


I really wanted to try the Pan-Am hamburger today.  While I didn’t stuff myself at the Hub, it was still too soon for more food, so no review this time, again.  I remembered a forlorn-looking kettle corn vendor in the main concourse from last time.  This time, she had cinnamon-roasted almonds, so I gave her a sale.  (I love those things.) 

I think I saw Kayla Green with probably some of the softball team along the way to my seat.  It was a great crowd.  I could tell it was going to be good pulling into the parking lot an hour before the game.  The lower bowl was nearly full, so it was likely well over 6,000.  They were also in a very enthusiastic mood.  The Student Section was full, which is paramount to getting a college crowd going.  Football Coach Doug Martin and his assistant coach/wife were again seated a couple of rows below me.  My boss (actually it’s complicated) came in to my section during the first half, but I didn’t get to say hello until after the game.  On court, I got a look at the Wolverines.  They had some very big, tall players.

The Roadrunner Review band members were all wearing Aggie hockey-style sweaters.  That’s a conceptually-interesting idea.  I think UTEP actually does have a hockey team, or I was imagining hearing about them.  In any case, me and likely much of the crowd were lusting after their apparel.  An announcement was made that the Aggie Women’s Basketball team was leading the Wolverines in Utah at the half.  A little eighth-grader girl with a tremendous voice came out and made the Anthem her own.  If American Idol was still around, she’d be trying out for it. 

The intro video for the players was changed for this week.  “After 37 days on the road,” it started and then showed highlights of the Aggies’ victories over Illinois (12-16-17), Davidson (12-22-17), Miami (12-23-17), and Grand Canyon (1-11-18).  And it ended with, “There’s no place like home,” and the crowd going crazy.  Even the Utah Valley players stopped to watch the video.  Okay, I was a wee disappointed in the guys as they were introduced.  They mostly all big-timed Pistol Pete out on court.  Shame, fellows.     
        

First Half
The Aggies came out hot.  Admittedly, a couple of their shots were lucky, but sometimes the rim loves you.  It was 16-5 Aggies after just five minutes.  The Wolverines had some good players.  Jake Toolson had a great fake out move for a basket before the first media timeout to make it 18-9 Aggies.  Some fans in costume were brought out for a “hamburger-making” contest to the amusement of the crowd.  I’m intrigued by the blonde girl that’s an assistant for the team.  She was in a skirt and little suede boots.  She looked really out-of-place, but not unwelcome, on a basketball court.   

Let’s get the crowd going.  At nine minutes left, Zach Lofton fed Eli Chuha for a jam, 24-12 Aggies.  Five minutes left, 6’11” Isaac Neilson of the Wolverines wasn’t letting that happen again as he stole an alley-oop mid-air to go along with an earlier block.  But the Aggies did get a fast break layup right after that.  Another bad pass by the Aggies became a turnover and a three-pointer for Utah Valley, 29-21 Aggies.  Coach Chris Jans immediately called a timeout to chew them out.  Three minutes left, the crowd reacted badly to a foul called on AJ Harris.  You didn’t want to get the crowd involved (though the pizza giveaway during the timeout might have also accomplished that).  With 30 seconds left, the fans rose and screamed and botched the Wolverines’ possession.  Jack Nixon credited the crowd with the turnover.  It was 39-29 Aggies at the half.   


Halftime and Aggie Downtown Football Rally
I also got this poster up front.  Too cool.  You could see the Football team queuing up before the end of the half to come out on court.  Possibly to the chagrin of the food vendors, the crowd mostly all stayed in their seats.  The team received thunderous applause as they came out with the Arizona Bowl trophy.  Strange that both times I’ve been to a Men’s Basketball game this season, I’ve seen the Football team honored.  A bowl official from Tucson thanked Las Cruces for making their game so successful this year.  Coach Martin told the fans to come out for the season opener, “This isn’t the end; it’s just the beginning!”

The video boards were showing scenes from the Downtown Rally from this morning.  It looked like a tremendous crowd there.  I’d wanted to go, but mentally insisted that I go with somebody.  That was an even harder sell than this game.  (I woke up late anyway, but I really did want to go.)  On the local TV news at night, I saw two different reports on the rally.  It did look like a good crowd.  In a player interview, he was amazed about the fan support a month after the game.  He hoped this was something that could bring the community together.  You know, this bowl win has been an event that everyone in town is proud of and happy about.  There was even a quick comment from Aggie Baseball Coach Brian Green at the ballpark.  Even more surprising, Daniel Johnson, star of the 2016 team, was there and was asked about the football team.  They introduced him as the Minor League Player of the Year?  (Not sure about that, but it wouldn’t entirely surprise me.)  If me and other Aggie baseball fans knew he was here, we would have come out to the ballpark to watch practice and get his autograph.        

Back to the basketball game, the biggest difference stat displayed had the Aggies shooting 50% to Utah Valley’s 40%.  Down below my seat, I saw Dalton Herrington from football team getting pictures with Mario’s girls.  He walked up through the crowd by my section and got some handshakes from the crowd.  Unfortunately, he was too far away for me to jump out and accost him.  “Dude!  Why don’t I see a ring on your finger?  Don’t tell me you aren’t engaged to Jordan Ablalos?  Do you really think you’ll find a better girl than her!  Why didn’t you bring her out on court and propose to her right here and make a public event out of it like Carlos Correa did at the World Series?  You could have made national news for the university and it would have been so romantic!  You idiot!”  Maybe it was better I didn’t talk to him.      

Second Half
Things started off well for the fans.  Akolda Manyang missed two free throws thus activating the Chik-a-fila free sandwich promotion.  Chalk up another one for the screaming fans.  They’d also cheer for good play, like a minute later when AJ got a steal and a layup, 46-31 Aggies.  Sidy N’Dir then dropped a three to make it 49-31.  Timeout Utah Valley as the crowd was standing and cheering.  And just to rub it in a little more, the PA announced that the Aggie Women had just won their game against Utah Valley, 82-72

Let me also mention that the Aggies’ interior defense and rebounding were excellent, especially against these big and tall Wolverine players.  14 minutes left, Zach hit another three.  He veritably skipped back up court with a big smile.  He was on fire.  Chuha put in a layup right after.  The crowd kept going nuts.  A fan next to me, seeing me with my scorecard, asked, “You getting all of this?”  (Apparently I wasn’t.  I had a mistake in there somewhere.  I thought I was doing such a good job.)  The defensive highlights continued.  Johnny McCants got a massive block.  Timeout.  The Student Section started a wave that went around the arena for a couple of minutes.  Chuha stole an inbounds pass and got a block on the much taller Manyang.  Jack pronounced that the Aggies were “Kicking them sideways.” 

With seven minutes left, the Aggies got called for their seventh foul.  They’d picked up a couple early.  What was strange was that the Wolverines had not been called for any this half (seven in the first).  This disparity wasn’t hurting the Aggies at all.  AJ put in another three.  The Cheerleaders were out of t-shirts to toss into the crowd for the three-pointer promotion.  A minute later, the Aggies collected their ninth foul.  Still none for Utah Valley.  Regardless of the 71-48 score, the crowd and the coach complained to the refs.  Probably a coincidence, the Wolverines got called for their first, moments later.

Five minutes left in the game, Zach hit his seventh three.  He didn’t even react to it.  He just stood and stared for a moment.  Zach had amazed even himself.  With three minutes, Sidy got a layup to activate a free wings deal at Hooters.  (Or it happened on the last Aggie points of the game.  The deal was announced twice.)  Timeout.  A blindfolded fan was out on court, trying to find a large picture of marketing guy, DJ Downs, with the help of the crowd.  The crowd wasn’t entirely helpful as everyone was just yelling.  DJ finally had to direct the guy to his picture as time expired. 

At 83-55 Aggies, the NMSU bench got emptied.  The starters were individually taken off to rounds of applause.  Jack reported that local fan-favorite Joe Garza had some food poisoning earlier and wasn’t able to play (without puking on the court).  Aussie Gabe Hadley stuck in a late three for the final Aggie points.  Neilson on the Wolverines put in a two-handed jam for their last points.  This happened in front of the Student Section who took particular, jeering offense to it.                

Our final: Aggies 86, Wolverines 59.  The Aggies were making it rain with 15 three’s.  Zach Lofton scored nearly all of his 24 points on three’s.  Kenneth Ogbe led the Wolverines with 13.  To give you an idea of the Aggies’ defense, he no points in second half.  The best thing you can say about a team today is that they played the whole 40 minutes.  At some point, we were probably all expecting a cold streak, a lack of focus, or exhaustion to tighten up the score, but it never happened.  The coach has to be happy with that kind of effort.  The Aggies are now alone at the top of the WAC.   

They were not handing out Chik-a-fila coupons after the game at the exits.  I wonder if the free sandwich offer meant that you had to go there tonight to get it.  I apparently wasn’t paying good attention to the promotion.  After waiting maybe 20 minutes for traffic to clear out (that was the part of this trip I was dreading, and for some reason they blocked one of the exits), I decided to go to Schlotzsky’s instead and got one of their pizzas.  It’s about the best pizza you can get . . . from a sandwich shop.  I just wanted a change of pace.  It was okay.

At home, the UTEP Men’s Basketball team was playing a rare local TV game on the road at San Antonio.  Though they had a big lead in the first half, they ended up losing to UTSA 65-61.  Miner fans watching their local TV sports news had to be gritting their teeth later.  On the station I was watching, they recapped the Miner loss and then showed the Aggie rally, the Aggie Men’s Basketball victory, and then the Aggie Women winning.  Talk about riding a hot streak.  I’m feeling pretty fortunate too.  I don’t know if I can ask for Men’s tickets again though.  I’m feeling guilty that other people at work aren’t being given a chance to get them and it’s too hard to coordinate going with other people for some reason.  But, I’ve certainly enjoyed going to these two games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment