Thursday, October 4, 2018

NM State Aggies vs UNM Lobos Softball 9-29-18

[Sorry.  This is a day later than I meant to post this.  I’ve been distracted the last couple of days as Comet TV just started showing Babylon 5 in the afternoon and began with the two-hour pilot movie.  Between this show and Space:1999 on the weekends, they’re actually showing some interesting stuff.] 
 
After watching an Aggie Volleyball victory and having lunch, I was ready for some exhibition softball.  I could have skipped having lunch out and gone back home to see some baseball, but I didn’t want to have to come back right afterward for the Aggie games.  This was sort of an unofficial regional invitational with the Aggies, Lobos, and Miners here.  The first game featured the two visiting teams, which I came in the middle of.  When the Aggies posted their games, I sort of guessed the Lobos and Miners would be playing at this time and the Miners’ website confirmed it. 

UTEP Miners vs UNM Lobos 
After looking over my notes for half-a-game, I decided this didn’t merit a separate post.    It was hot and sunny at the Softball Complex, but there was a little breeze, so it wasn’t terrible.  Next door, the Aggie Baseball team was practicing.  The Aggie Softball team would arrive before the end would hang out around the outfield fence to watch the game.  Aggie fans would also trickle in as this game ran over the announced start time of the next game.      

Unlike the other softball exhibitions I’ve been too, there was a good, partisan crowd here.  (I have to admit that the UTEP fan gear looked pretty good.)  Both dugouts were fully into the game and making lots of noise.  The scoreboard was on and they were even playing music between innings.  (A couple of guys in UTEP shirts were running things in the pressbox.)  There weren’t any programs to tell who was who.  In the case of the Lobos, it wouldn’t have mattered, as they were wearing what looked like warmup jerseys that didn’t have numbers on them. 

The first thing I noticed on the field was the pretty Lobo first baseman.  From looking at the roster online later, I think she was #32 Lauren Wilmert.  She’d change positions to catcher in the next game, so she must be pretty talented as well.  On the field for UTEP later, I noticed their third baseman wearing face mask like a pitcher.  I figure there’s always a bad story behind players wearing one of those. 

Wait a minute.  There by the Miner dugout.  Gasp!  It’s the WAC Girl!  Yes, it was that young woman I’d waxed poetic about from the WAC Softball Tournament (Game 8, 5-11-18).  She appeared to be here working for UTEP in some sort of staff capacity.  Unfortunately, that’s all I saw of her.  When the Aggies played the Miners later, she was in the visitor’s dugout and I couldn’t see her.  What a cruel tease. 

The scoreboard said it was the fourth inning and 4-2 Miners when I arrived.  While the players and fans were taking the game seriously, I did see a Lobo coach chatting amicably with first base ump during play, something that likely wouldn’t happen if the game counted.  In the sixth, UTEP scored a run on an error, and followed that up with a three-run homer by #21 Cortney Smith to make it 8-2 Miners. 

My only scouting observation was that UTEP pitcher #27 (a number I can’t find on their online roster, so much for my scouting) has a great offspeed pitch.  The Lobo batters were fairly befuddled.  In the seventh, the Lobo centerfielder (sorry no jersey numbers) made a great over-the-shoulder running catch.  UTEP ended the game on a double play.  The third baseman caught a liner and threw out a runner at first.  8-2 UTEP final.  The Miners looked pretty good here.

NM State Aggies vs UNM Lobos
Oh, my notes are complete mess here, since I couldn’t identify the new Aggie players either.  A senior fan nearby had a printed roster and would read off their names, but it was still confusing.  Between two Kaylas, one Keala, two Kennedys, and three similar-looking (with their gear on) blonde catchers and a bunch of other players I wasn’t familiar with, I was scratching out and scribbling over everything I wrote.   

Here’s the opening lineup, I think.  The fabulous Kelsey Horton was back playing at first base this year.  Coach Kathy Rodolph had mentioned this in an interview on the Aggie Coaches Show.  (And she sounded so happy and upbeat, too.  That was good to hear.)  Kelsey had some rough moments playing second, but really improved the more she played there.  I think that time there will actually help her play first better.  She’s also gone back to dark hair.  I can’t explain that change, because she looks better blonde.

Sure-handed Jeanelle Medina was moved from third to second.  As good as she was at third and as much action as she saw there, I don’t think I would have moved her.  Perhaps her presence at second will deter teams from trying to hit up the middle.  A pair of freshman was on the other side.  #23 Kayla Bowen (KB) was at short, and #30 Mya Felder (pronounced “Maya”) was at third.

5’0” Brandy Hernandez was in left field.  The Coach gushed about her play in El Paso last week at an exhibition versus UTEP, calling her a “Gnat at a picnic,” because they couldn’t get her out.  The diminutive local girl is also a fan-favorite.  Veteran Victoria Castro (Tori) was in center with Kennedy Johnson (KJ), who’d pretty much just pinch hit last year was in right field. 

Nikki Butler was at catcher.  Thumper that she is, she’s the reason opposing pitchers have to pitch Kelsey.  Senior Kayla Green started the game.  It seems like just yesterday she was a freshman (2-14-16) at the first softball game I attended.  She’s still striking out there in the circle.  Okay, that was an unintentional pun.  Take two.  It’s still fascinating to watch her pitch.  From seeing her working for the volleyball team at the Pan-Am, Kayla looks stronger than I’ve seen her before.

A senior from last year, Amy Bergeson was working at the scorer’s table for the team and to finish her degree.  Another former player, Misty Hoohuli, was sitting nearby me and I’m kicking myself that I couldn’t identify her at the time.  I only had posters with her up at home and at work for a year.  I certainly noticed her, because she looked absolutely gorgeous.  (I do actually have a thing for Hawaiian girls because of a beautiful babysitter I had as a kid.)  She said “Hello” to several of the senior fans and sat with some vocal Aggie fans.  The fans asked her about playing and about the sign calling from the dugout.  Misty was there with a little girl (sister? niece?).  She took her down to see the dugout and meet the players between games. 

In the first, Kayla had her offspeed working, which was good to see.  In the bottom, Mya made a great first impression on Aggie fans, as she mashed a homer on to the roof of the field house beyond left field with Kelsey on.  That was a heck of a shot.  2-0 Aggies.  Some of the girls from Aggie Volleyball came in after the game started.  These girls have busy lives. 

In the third, Kayla got a strikeout on a fastball.  I think she’s throwing harder than before.  Mya came up again in the bottom and pounded a very hard line out to the opposite field.  She’s got some power.  I already knew about Nikki’s power, but had it demonstrated again as she also hit the field house roof with a solo shot.  3-0 Aggies.

In the fourth, the Aggies showed off their defense.  Jeanelle made a good stab, stop, and throw to first for an out.  I am unsurprised that she’s good playing second base.  For the final out, Brandy made a diving catch and the crowd erupted for her.  In the bottom, KJ got a hit.  The cute freshman girl that I’d seen working at the volleyball, Keala Brown, came in to pinch run.  After an “excuse me” swing from Kelsey, an error on a play at the plate brought in a run.  Mya drove in another run on a sacrifice to make it 5-0.

Analise de la Roca came in to pitch in the fifth.  I think she was also the DP up to that point.  She’s multi-talented.  They’ve also posted her doing interviews with some other Aggie athletes, like Brooke SalasShelby Shultes came in to catch her.  Keala went to right field.  I think Kennedi Sorenson was the DP (I’m glad I wasn’t trying to figure this out on a scorecard) and got an RBI on a fielder’s choice.  6-0 Aggies.

In the sixth, there was a Lobo home run to right.  The ball seemed to catch a jetstream and just kept carrying.  6-1 Aggies.  UTEP fans started coming in at this point.  It must have been after 6:00pm, the announced start time for the next game.  In the bottom, Sarai Mejia came in to pinch hit, but was hit by the pitch.  Jeanelle scored by tagging up on a flyball and a bad throw in.  Alyssa Barela, pinch hitting, struck out twice.  The ump called her back after a foul tip on a bad swing.  She took the same bad swing on the next pitch for the out.  7-1 Aggies was the final score with the final out being a looking strikeout.


Okay, next up, *Aggies versus Miners.*

No comments:

Post a Comment