Friday, October 5, 2018

NM State Aggies vs UTEP Miners Softball 9-29-18

I forgot what I did between this game and the previous game with the Lobos.  I admit after the volleyball match, autographs, walking to get lunch, and sitting out in the heat for a game-and-a-half, I was getting a bit tired by this point.  All that happened was that the field got dressed for the game.  The UTEP fans came back.  They and their team were more lively than the Lobos and their fans were.  The Aggies played the Miners in El Paso last week and won, so UTEP was looking for revenge.  It was like a tournament championship game atmosphere and the game itself reinforced that. 

Samaria Diaz started for the Aggies and she has a vocal fan club in the stands.  Before the first game, I noticed she was out dancing on the field.  The girls were all probably happy to be playing and not walking up and down the football stadium berm or serving rolled tacos at the Pan-Am Center.  UTEP’s starter was #20 Kira McKechnie.  I looked her up on their online roster.  She was a statuesque beauty wearing her eye black like warpaint. 

In the bottom of the first, the Aggies drew a pair of walks to start.  The Miners turned a double play in the inning, but Nikki Butler was able to drive in Jeanelle Medina to give the Aggies a 1-0 lead.  I could smell somebody working a barbeque nearby, but badly.  I lost my appetite.  A UTEP fan below me had his phone up and was Periscoping the event. 

Sam ended the top of the second by starting a double play.  In the bottom, the Aggies finally started singing from the dugout with Sarai Mejia up to bat, who was in right field for this game.  Keala Brown was the starter in left and also came up this inning.  The volleyball girls returned for this game, after showing up for the first game, and playing a match themselves this morning.  That’s some Aggie dedication. 

Through three innings, both teams were getting runners on.  This was also making the game go longer, which was what I didn’t want.  I think there was only one 1-2-3 inning in the game total.  In the fourth, Mya Felder at third made a good play on a popup by the wall.  Freshman Chloe Rivas came into pitch and finished out the inning. 

In the fifth, Chloe ran into trouble with the bases loaded and two outs.  A hit by pitch drove in a run and a single drove in two runs to make it 3-1 UTEP.  The bases were reloaded on another hit, but Jeanelle speared a liner at second to finally end the inning.  While this felt like a playoff game, this was the one point where I think Coach Rodolph was playing it like an exhibition.  In this case, she wanted to see how Chloe would respond to pressure.

Anne Marie Vargas, better known as “Buddy” came in to play second this inning.  Hey!  Where’s Caity Szczesny!  After a game-and-a-half, I finally noticed I hadn’t seen her.  She has my favorite player name and is a good player too.  She’s still listed on the roster online.  Hopefully, she’s okay.  A Chinese family came in and sat by me.  It’s been a strangely international day with that Russian family sitting by me at the volleyball earlier. 

In the bottom of the fifth, after a pair of walks, a new UTEP pitcher was brought in to face Kelsey Horton.  During her at bat, we had the play of weekend.  Kelsey hit a screaming line drive into the Aggie dugout.  The ball went right at Coach Rodolph’s head.  Little Brandy Hernandez saved the Aggie Softball program by snatching the ball out of the air before it hit her.  The pair started laughing, which got the crowd laughing too.  Kathy picked up Brandy and gave her a big bear hug. 

On field, Mya sacrificed in Kayla Bowen and Nikki doubled in Buddy to tie it, 3-3.  In the sixth, UTEP got two on with two out.  Samaria came back in to pitch.  Buddy made a diving stop and flip to second for the force out to end the inning.  In the bottom, the Aggies got two on with two out, but also didn’t score. 

In the seventh, UTEP again got two on with two out.  The last batter hit a monster foul ball out of the park, but Sam finished it with a strikeout looking.  I was not looking forward to the possibility of extra innings.  It’d been a long day for me, so I was rooting for a conclusion this inning.  The Aggie got two on again as Mya doubled and Nikki was pegged.  Kayla Bowen came up and slammed an absolute moonshot to center.  The fielder started running back at the crack of the bat, but it was a no-doubter.  It was a three-run walkoff homer.  Welcome to the team, KB!  6-3 Aggies final!


I may have been begging for the game to end at the time, but I was not expecting that.  It was a heck of a game.  I noticed afterward, even the UTEP fans didn’t seem too unhappy.  It was hard to get upset when the winning play was so definitive and majestic.  After two games, I have to say I can see why the Coach was so enthusiastic about the team and her new players.  

No comments:

Post a Comment