Thursday, April 4, 2019

NM State Aggies vs UNM Lobos Baseball 3-26-19

I looked at the schedule and decided this would be a good day to take off for a ball game.  I’d made the most of my morning and afternoon.  I went out and got SI’s Baseball Preview issue, had a Chik-fil-a sandwich, and went to Target and picked up some Opening Day baseball cards.  I even typed up my MLB preview.  I was ready for the new baseball season.

Ron was picking up someone at the airport in the afternoon and didn’t think he’d be able to go.  I left for the game a bit early in the evening, since I figured there’d be a good crowd for a rivalry game against the UNM Lobos.  Pulling into the parking lot, I saw some Softball players leaving their field.   I guessed that their practice had just let out so that they could go to the game, which some of them did.  On the baseball side of the lot, it was already full.  Cool.

Adding to the local flavor, a Mariachi band was playing by the concessions.  Adding to my usual dissatisfaction with the concessions, they got my order wrong, as I didn’t get my hot dog and the corn-in-cup was subpar.  It’s no longer my favorite item.  I will have a hot dog at some point this season.  I’m at a baseball game!  I gotta have a dog, even if it’s bad! 

My usual seating area was taped off, so I sat up over the entrance on the third base side.  The Mariachi band came out in front of the stands and started playing.  However, they were interrupted by the PA playing music.  A few fans got a bit angry.  My favorite ballpark attraction, intern Emerson seemed to sporting a new lighter hair color.  She was wearing it loose and looked spectacular.  Some of the Roadrunner Runner Review band was here, including a couple of tubas.  They took seats in the front of the center grandstand.  Pistol Pete and a few Cheerleaders came in as well.

It was a beautiful night to start.  The crowd was pouring in.  I went to the bathroom before the start of the game and was shocked by the line at the concessions.  I wasn’t going to be getting a makeup hot dog tonight.  I thought there was going to be radio call for the game, but it was just TV.  Because I had gotten up and there wasn’t a radio call, I ended up missing the lineups, but I got it during the game. 


Former MLB umpire, Tony Randazzo, threw out the first pitch.  Tonight’s umpires, of course, got their picture taken with him.  He was supposed to be here at a basketball game last year, but I missed his interview if it happened.  I suppose they interviewed him on TV tonight.  I was kind of hoping he was selling and autographing his book here, but I didn’t see or hear any evidence of that.  AD Mario Moccia “unveiled” the WAC Championship banner that’s been out on the left field wall for a month.  Yeah, why not rub it in the face of the visiting Lobos?  One of the girls with the Mariachi band sang a nice Anthem.       

Coach Jans from the Men’s Basketball team came in with his wife, so you know this was a big event.  Chris Jefferson started for the Aggies.  He gave up a leadoff hit and a walk.  The Lobos were definitely trying to manufacture a run with a steal and then a double steal in the inning.  Jefferson closed out the inning with back-to-back strikeouts.

People were still coming in.  Eventually, the grandstand would be basically full.  This was awesome.  I was glad I took off the day just to see this crowd, regardless of the result.  Where are these people for the weekend games?  They apparently know about Aggie Baseball and their schedule. 

Let’s just cut to the chase here.  Our highlight of the game happened in the bottom of the first after the Aggies had loaded the bases.  Tristan Peterson hit a massive home run to left.  It was a huge arcing blast that the large crowd just seemed to will out.  I swear the ball hit a bird after it cleared the wall, but that also might have been my imagination.  4-0 Aggies.

The Cheerleaders were doing the souvenir tosses into the crowd between innings.  I noticed Emerson was hustling and busy though.  I had a good view of the area beyond the right field outfield wall.  I saw a large crimson Bigfoot standing under a tree.  Oh wait, it was Ron.  He’d come into the stadium once he realized that flyballs weren’t going that way. 

Jefferson worked into a bunch of trouble in the second.  A couple of walks got cashed in with a couple of singles.  Another single and a sacrifice drove in two more.  We were tied at 4.  In the bottom, after a hit batter and a walk, the Lobo starter got the hook.  A double play and a fielder’s choice ended the threat.

I didn’t write down when Ron came in and found me, but I think it was in the third.  Given the crowd, it was lucky there was a seat next to me.  Unfortunately, Ron takes up about a seat-and-a-half and I was sitting at an angle for a while.  I could still keep the scorecard, but note taking was a difficult proposition.  Wyatt Kelly came in and worked a three-batter third.  I starred a groundout to short, so Joey Ortiz must have made a great play; I just couldn’t write any details about it.  The Aggies would scratch out a run in the bottom.  Peterson walked, was advanced on a hit batter and a passed ball, and came in on a Jason Bush groundout.  5-4 Aggies.    

The wind picked up in the fourth as the sun went down.  It was blowing in, which made it a bit uncomfortable for the fans and was also going to knock down balls in the air.  Kelly worked another quick inning in the fourth.  A foul ball went straight back on to the canopy.  It rolled back down in front of the grandstand.  A kid missed it and the crowd felt bad for him, but another kid gave him a ball.  The crowd went “Aww.”

“Text me when you get close.  I want some Crackerjacks,” said a fan in front of me.  Ron had mentioned the concessions line was nearly going around the stadium.  In the bottom of the fourth, the Aggies had another big inning.  Peterson drove in two with a single, in addition to three other runs coming in for a 10-4 lead.  The inning also included a no-pitch intentional walk to Nick Gonzales (I had to explain that rule change to Ron) and a passed ball on a third strike to Tristen Carranza.  He was able to take first, which required me to make another explanation (“It’s a strikeout, but not an out, but not an error.”)

In the fifth, it was getting late and some of the crowd started leaving.  The first two innings took forever.  Coach Jans left too.  I waved and yelled at him.  He waved back, somewhat surprised.  I wanted him to feel welcome here at NMSU, so he won’t leave us in the offseason.  (I hope I didn’t startle him too bad.)  In any case, me and Ron were able to move over and get some space between us.  Kelly hit the opening batter and walked the next and was pulled out for Aldo Fernandez.  He gave up an inherited runner to make it 10-5.

Logan Bottrell was hit hard to start the fifth.  The crowd had more reaction than he did.  The Lobos turned a double play to more-or-less end the threat.  There was more good defense to start the sixth.  Nick made a running across-the-body throw for the first out.  Botts made two good running catches in center, probably reacting to the wind.  The reduced crowd went 1 for 3 in the Pocket contest, but we were all winners since we got to see more of Emerson. 

Aldo worked into some trouble in the seventh, but a well-turned double play mostly ended the threat.  It was turned so fast, I just about blinked and missed it.  Ron got up to walk around a bit, though he didn’t go looking for foul balls.  A group of attractive young women moved in next to me.  Unfortunately, they were mostly Lobo fans.  The girl next to me had a cute little dog in a Lobo vest.  (She didn’t appreciate me looking at her dog, so I didn’t try to pet anything.)   

The highlight of the top of the eighth was Emerson coming in wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  It was actually a bit nippy with the wind, so she must be fairly resistant to the cold.  The girls around me were alternately cheering for the Lobos and the Aggies.  Maybe they were in the same sorority, but different chapters.  The lesser, but still interesting, other highlight of the inning was these girls discussing their sex lives. 

Oh, and there was still a game going on.  The Aggies scored three more runs in the eighth.  In the ninth, Joey started a great double play on the second batter of the inning.  Matt Munden closed it out.  13-5 Aggies win

I know Tristan Peterson’s grand slam didn’t win the game on the scoreboard, but I feel like it did psychologically.  It was a nice 3 for 4 with 7 RBI’s day for him.  Among the five Aggie pitchers used, Aldo Fernandez went three innings without giving up a run.  He did give up an inherited run and was backed up with some great defense, but he held together the middle innings.      


I met Ron outside the stadium.  I told him he should have stuck around to listen to the co-ed sex lecture.  Unfortunately, he had to leave right away, so no “Ice Cream is for winners!” tonight.  Over a week later, when I’m actually writing this, I don’t remember what I did when I got home.  I probably crashed, since I’d had a busy day.  This was great game to go to.  I’m going to want to try to do this again next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment