Saturday, April 6, 2019

Sports Journal April 2-5, 2019

4-2-19

Meeting NFL Player JJ Birden

I was really dreading our quarterly meeting at work.  I was absolutely kicking myself that I didn’t take the night off to see Aggie Softball playing the Lobos tonight.  (Our girls won both games of the double header.  Yay!)  One, the meeting was offsite at the Convention Center.  Thankfully, it’s reasonably close to work.  Two, and much worse, the last time we were there, the food was terrible.  Those weren’t small chickens; those were pigeons!  Three, from a personal standpoint, there are some people at work that I just don’t want to be anywhere around.  The best I could say about the last meeting is that I liked the guest speaker. 

This time, the meal was great.  The Convention Center staff really improved here.  The speaker was also good, JJ Birden.  He had a compelling story for a professional athlete.  I’m not even sure there are too many NFL punters who are just 5’10” and 150 lbs.  JJ was a wide receiver.  He was a long jump track athlete that had to talk his way on to the Oregon football team.  He managed to get drafted.  The end of his NFL dream was a series of releases from four teams in a period of five days. 

Except he didn’t wake up and kept on dreaming.  JJ made it back on to the Chiefs’ practice squad.  He worked hard enough that he got into the final game of the season.  JJ had eight catches and two touchdowns.  From there, he had a seven-year career in pro football.  JJ has a great claim to fame in that he played with Joe Montana.  I’m sure he’s somewhat gotten over having to ask his audience if they know who that is and having the half them not have a clue.  (I felt like such a Boomer.)  Even more impressive, after his playing days and having three kids, him and his wife took in five more children from a relative. 


I went up and met him after the meeting with some other co-workers and got a picture.  I had a couple of questions about Joe Montana.  However, since there were more people behind me (all women, some rather attractive, it was a good thing his wife was with him), I limited myself to a short comment.  They said he was going to be talking to some Aggie athletes the next day.  On the off chance Brooke Salas was there, I asked him to say something encouraging to her before going to her WNBA tryout.  






Even better than the dinner and the entertaining speaker, we all got a takeaway.  A couple of days later, everyone got a signed copy of his motivational book, courtesy of our business.  I’ve skimmed it.  (Look, a week later, I still haven’t even been able to read by MLB season preview magazine yet.)  The book is inspirational with an interesting life story.  There are practical tips for success that he’s learned over the course his football career that could help anyone.  And you’ve got some interesting football anecdotes, which should please fans of the sport.  (If we’d been sitting around chatting for a while, I might have broached my trepidations about the league.)  

Okay, a bit of a different sports blog story for me, but I thought it was interesting enough to write about.  This was cool, though I’m probably going to be dreading the next quarterly meeting anyway.    


4-4-19
Chihuahuas Opening Day!  I’d seen the stadium in its soccer configuration on Sunday   (3-30-19).  During the match they said that the grounds crew would start tearing down the soccer field right after.  I imagine that’s quite a task.  I’d watched a video during the week showing off some improvements at the stadium.  There’s a new party deck on top of Big Dog House, though I swear it had chairs facing away from the field.  There’s another new party area, maybe the former patio along the first base line.  There’s a couple of miniature golf holes and a ping pong table installed there?  El Paso Locomotive signage is now all over the stadium along with a dedicated team shop for them.

And my enjoyment of this game got off to a bad start.  I’d tested out KROD’s Internet stream yesterday.  “We’re sorry.  We’re experiencing technical difficulties.  We’ll be right back shortly,” said a pleasant female voice.  Contrary to her assurances, the stream was not up today either.  I started jumping through hoops and eventually found an alternate stream on Tunein

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get this site at my other workstation, so I missed the first hour of the game.  I was gritting my teeth the whole time.  I was not shutout though.  It was time for Richmond Flying Squirrels Baseball!  Err . . . briefly.  I was able to catch the ninth.  They had a huge crowd for their Opening Day, who were staying late to watch the fireworks afterward.  They got a pretty dramatic 1-0 win over the Hartford Yard Goats.  For some reason, both teams were going to take on Latino identities for their next game.  If you think “Flying Squirrels” and “Yard Goats” are dumb names, the Spanish equivalent isn’t any better and was clearly causing the announcer some consternation in pronunciation.

Finally, I was able to sit down and listen to the Chihuahuas over my dinner.  There were the friendly pleasant tones of our old friend Tim Haggerty doing the call.  It was a standing-room only crowd at the ballpark of 9,600+.  They were playing the new Las Vegas Aviators.  Gee, I’ll miss the 51’s and their alien mascot.  (Of course, I’m kidding.)  In addition to a better name, they’ve got a brand new stadium and are now affiliated with the A’s.  The game was moving along very quickly (though delayed for Opening Day pregame ceremonies) and was already in the fourth.  This was because the game was scoreless.

Ty France broke the seal with a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth.  I’d just stepped out of the room for a minute when it happened.  Ahem.  The Aviators tied it in the fifth (I had again just stepped out) and took the lead, 3-1.  Tyler Higgins replaced starter Jerry Keel and came in with bases loaded.  Skye Bolt came up for Aviators and struck out to end the inning.  Tim loves the guy’s name.  They’ll never let him get called up.  His name fits the team name too well.

In the bottom of the fifth, Esteban Quiroz got the pups back in the lead with a three- run homer, 4-3.  (I was out of the room again.)  The Aviators got a two-run homer, and then went back-to-back with a solo shot in the sixth to retake the lead, 6-4.  Of course, I was listening at that time.  Tim chuckled as he miscalled them The 51’s.    

Ty France did it again in the seventh, as he doubled in two runs to tie it at 6.  In the eighth, an Aviator solo homer hits the display truck in outfield (I think), 7-6.  The Chihuahuas left two on in the bottom.  Unfortunately, the Aviators tacked on two more in the ninth to make it 9-6.

But, it wasn’t over yet and the pups wanted to give that big crowd a show.  France sac’d in a run.  He came close to getting another double, but Bolt nabbed it.  With two on and two out, Jason Vosler drove in another run with a single.  Next, an error loaded the bases.  The crowd was going wild by this point, down by one.  Alex Dickerson, who’d been out for two years with injuries, came up.  He nearly got a hit, but was robbed by a sliding catch by Bolt that ended the game.  Aviators win 9-8, but it was a good game.  Ty France went 3 for 4 with 4 RBI’s in the game.  He’s looking good.

Tim mentioned during the game that the newest Triple-A team is the San Antonio Missions.  They kept their great Double-A name.  I checked out the team and came up with this factoid about their stadium.  Check this out.

On July 27, 1998 Wolff Stadium witnessed a once-in-a-lifetime feat. Tyrone Horne of the Arkansas Travelers hit for the 'home run cycle.' It is believed to be the only home run cycle in the history of professional baseball. Horne belted a two-run home run in the first inning, clubbed a grand slam in the second inning, slugged a solo shot in the fifth, and completed the accomplishment with a three-run homer in the sixth.


4-5-19
Friday night Aggie Baseball.  It’s the opener in an important series versus GCU.  It was a pretty decent night here, but I was okay with just watching over the Internet.  Brock Whittlesey started a bit rough for the Aggies.  The Lopes loaded the bases on him, but he got out of it with a couple of strikeouts.  And then I had to leave to go to another workstation and missed most of the middle of the game.  This kind of stuff really kills your recapping.  Even worse, the Flying Squirrels weren’t playing when I changed cubicles.    

GCU scored three in the fifth.  I came back in in the bottom, but missed Logan Ehnes’ two-run homer and Eric Mingus’ solo shot to tie it.  Alex Reyes came in for the sixth in relief and gave up a run, 4-3 GCU.  In the seventh, Mingus had two errors at third and two more runs scored, 6-3.  In the eighth, there was an error by Nick Gonzales at second.  They’re contagious.  GCU scored another run on no hits, 7-3.  In the bottom, Tristen Carranza brought in Nick thanks to an error.  It’s an epidemic, or they’re all playing tight. 

7-4 GCU was the final.  The Aggies had four hits and there were seven combined errors in the game.  Ron, who was there, was disgusted.  Aggie Softball did beat Utah Valley 1-0 next door at the Softball Complex.  (I can’t stand the miserable scheduling this season.)  OMG!  My favorite opposing player, Basia Query, hasn’t graduated and is still playing for the Wolverines.  I may be attending the softball double header tomorrow instead of the baseball.


I thought about jumping ship to the Chihuahuas, but things were going worse with them.  The Las Vegas Aviators dropped eight on them in the third.  I did join the game in the eighth when the Aggie game ended.  The Chihuahuas’ game started an hour later than the Aggies.  I was briefly worried that the pups’ game would finish first.  12-4 Aviators was the final.  

No comments:

Post a Comment