Tuesday, April 16, 2024

NM State Aggies vs FIU Panthers Softball 4-13-24


I’m a bad fan.  My next Aggie post should have been about the Aggie/Lobo Baseball game and the Aggie Softball game against Arizona on Tuesday.  I had the day off, but the weather deeked me out.  I was planning on going to Game 1 of the softball’s double header, but it got cold, cloudy, and windy right before I was about to leave.  It did rain a little, but certainly not enough to stop the game. 

 

It seemed like the weather wasn’t going to clear, so I called work and told them I was coming in.  Then it cleared off.  I felt like a dummy.  However, there was a big pile of work waiting for me, which would have doubled the next day.  I was also able to listen to the baseball game on the radio and it was about 50-degrees out at the ballpark.  In that respect, I probably made the right decision.

 

The actual game results were mixed.  Softball lost both of their games to the Wildcats by run rule.  Meanwhile, the Baseball team really took it to UNM to the tune of 10-2.  Softball began their current series against FIU on Friday and won 9-6 in a walk off win.  It was also Coach Rodolph’s 600-th Aggie win.  Congratulations.  I also have to mention Baseball playing Middle Tennessee on the road.  Keith Jones tied it in the ninth with an RBI hit and Logan Galina sealed it with a two-run homer in the eleventh to win it, 15-12!

 

That brings us up-to-date.  Today’s softball game was at 4:00pm, but there was no double header.  It was warm and sunny.  (If only it had been like this on Tuesday.)  I’d had a somewhat disappointing afternoon as today’s Texas Ranger game never came on the radio.  Maybe they changed the game time.  I was further disappointed pulling into the Softball Complex.  (After 600 wins, I wonder when they’ll rename it Rodolph Field?)  I saw that there was a next door soccer match finishing up.  I wasn’t sure if the Aggies had been playing a scrimmage, but their merchandise tent was up.  If there was a game and I’d known about it, I might have gone.

 

A pretty good crowd of over 500 came out for a late Saturday afternoon game, including a group of Football players.  (I also noticed that game prices were $7, up from $5.  I’ve been getting in with my season pass.)  Fan Danny came in after I did and looked a bit worse for wear.  He’d been to the games on Tuesday and Friday and wasn’t very impressed with the team’s performances.  On field, both teams made a circle.  The Aggies seemed fairly solemn.  The FIU Panthers were pretty spirited.  


Jaileen Mancha started for the Aggies and got three quick groundouts.  The Panthers were singing loud out of the dugout to start the game.  Their coach worked at third base and shouted out some encouraging chatter to his batters. 

 

Jillian Taylor singled to start the bottom of the first.  Makayla Navarro at third for FIU made a great dive stop on a Desirae Spearman liner.  Navarro made strong throw to first for the out.  Two groundouts to second ended the inning.  There was a pitching violation early by FIU starter, Ella Whitney, for a ball.  I don’t think I’d seen one this year.  The Aggies were singing from their dugout as usual, though FIU was singing back in competition. 

 

Both frames of the second inning began with singles.  Neither team scored.  I did find it interesting that the Aggies actually sacrificed to move the runner into scoring position.  Coach Rodolph seemed to be anticipating a close game.  For the top of the third, Jaileen started with a couple of impressive strikeouts on the bottom of the FIU order.  The team even celebrated the second one on the shortstop.  A good bunt hit broke up the streak, but was left stranded.

 

Okay, let’s try to deconstruct this bottom of the third.  Jessica Carreon led off with a mishit slap swing that was mishandled at first for an error.  Once again, there was another sacrifice to move the runner to second.  (That seemed like a waste of Jillian’s strong bat.)  Desirae grounded to third next.  Navarro threw to second to try and get Jessica in a rundown, but the ball was dropped for another error.  Everyone was safe with runners at first and third.

 

We’re not done.  Dezianna Patmon hit an easy grounder to short, which was muffed.  Error #3.  Jessica came in to score.  Next, Devin Elam doubled to drive in Des.  Riley Carley, who was last night’s hero bringing in the winning runs, hit a little infield blooper that the first baseman dove for and dropped.  (No error.  Definitely a hit.) 

 

This loaded the bases.  Jayleen Burton then singled to drive in another run and keep the bases loaded.  Kayla Lunar hit a sacrifice to center to drive in another run.  Unfortunately, the throw into the infield was overthrown and the runners advanced for another error.  A groundout finally ended the inning.  4-0 Aggies off of 3 hits and 4 errors.               

 

The top of the fourth was all Jayleen at short.  She got all three putouts in the inning off of grounders.  There was single mixed in.  Jayleen would have gotten the third out on the stolen base.  Kendal Lunar’s throw beat the runner, but the runner slid into Jayleen’s glove and knocked the ball loose. 

 

Jessica started the bottom of the fourth with a shot that Navarro deflected at third and the ball went to the left field corner.  The left fielder had trouble digging it out and Jessica made it to third.  (No error given for having to fight with the fence.)  The FIU coach challenged the play, probably on the basis that Navarro had maybe touched the ball while it was foul, but the play stood.

 

No need to move the runner over here.  We just needed one of the outfield.  Jillian provided that with a laser over the wall to center for a two-run homer.  (I told you it was a waste to have her bunt sacrifice.)  The Aggies then mounted a two-out rally.  Devin singled and Riley drove her in with a double.  Aggies up 7-0.

 

The top of the fifth was all Jess at second as she made all three putouts.  Danny left at this point.  He wasn’t doing great and the game seemed functionally over.  For the bottom of the inning, FIU brought in a new pitcher and made some other defensive changes.  There was a new third baseman and shortstop.  The Aggies countered with a couple of pinch hitters.

 

Kendra Levesque got an infield hit on the scorecard.  I don’t know how to put this delicately, but Kendra is a big girl.  Her beating out that infield hit to third was probably the play of the game.  She was lifted for pinch runner, Savannah Bejarano.  That was a good call.  Jess came up and hit another one to third.  This one was thrown away.  While the first baseman ran off the field to try and recover the ball, Sav rounded the bases and scored for an 8-0 Aggies run rule win.

 

The good news was that with the game over, the Panthers could commit no more errors.  Five in five innings was plenty.  FIU was milling around at the front gate after the game waiting for their ride.  I resisted the urge to try and meet Isabella. 

 

I felt bad for an older gentleman who sat down beside me in Danny’s spot.  He literally only got to see the final play.  At least he’d been waved in and didn’t have to pay $7.  He’d thought it was a double header.  I made sure to tell him about tomorrow’s game.  As it was, the game only went for an hour-and-a-half.  I’m not sure this is providing good value for the money.    

 

I’ve got some Gameballs for the Aggies.  (And I’m recommending some extra infield for the Panthers.)  Jaileen Mancha got the win with 5 scoreless innings.  Devin Elam went 2 for 3 with an RBI double, Jillian Taylor went 2 for 2 with a two-run homer, and Riley Carley went 3 for 3 (she was seeing the ball well) with an RBI double. 

 

I wasn’t going to mention this, but on the way out I heard two different groups of people talking about it, so I’m perhaps obliged to report it.  The starting shortstop for FIU, Ashton Lansdell, had no definable female characteristics.  (There was no way of phrasing that diplomatically.)  Some people were thinking this was actually a guy.  Like I said, the Aggies did seem celebrate after that strikeout in the third. 

 

Adam Young on the radio broadcast for Sunday’s game talked about Ashton.  She (definitely) was a female high school and junior college baseball player and had only recently switched to softball.  Ashton did well in Sunday’s game with a home run, a triple, and two RBI’s.  What can I say?  Playing baseball with the boys apparently left an indelible impression on the young woman. 

 

I did not eat out before or after game, as I usually do.  I had plans with my dad for Sunday, which involved eating out.  So, I wasn’t able to go to Softball’s Sunday game.  When I got together with dad, he told me that he could have waited until after the game.  Now he tells me.

 

The game was on the radio and I was able to listen to it.  It didn’t seem like the Aggies’ day as they were down late, until they erupted with a six-run sixth inning.  A two-run homer by Desirae put the Aggies out front for a 9-5 win.  (My new favorite player name, Casey Goguts, played in the game for FIU.)  Meanwhile at Middle Tennessee, Aggie Baseball lost 10-9 on Saturday, but notched a 9-1 win on Sunday.  Keith Jones had another big day.  And my meatball sandwich for lunch was awesome.  It was overall a pretty good weekend.     

No comments:

Post a Comment