Tuesday, April 2, 2024

NM State Aggies vs San Diego Toreros Softball 3-29-24


I almost wasn’t at today’s game.  I’d gotten the dates wrong on my calendar.  Unlike last week, I was on time for today’s Friday afternoon double header, though I’d only be in for Game 1 before heading off to work. 

 

It was slightly overcast when I left with a cool breeze blowing.  The forecast was that the weather might get more inhospitable later.  I wore long sleeves, my floppy hat, took a jacket with me, and, most importantly, did not put on any sunblock.  Well, the sun came out and any exposed parts of me got cooked.  I’ve been wearing a red nose since.

 

Inside, the Aggies were wearing crimson and gray road uni’s.  The visitors, the San Diego Toreros, were wearing sharp powder blue tops with white pants.  I think the Men’s Basketball team played theirs on the road, but I don’t know if Softball has ever played them.

 

Considering this was a 1:00pm weekday game, the crowd was pretty good.  There was a goodly knot of SD fans in the center of the stands.  There were several dogs in the crowd, including a herd of small dogs that were all carried in.  Shiyazh Pete and a couple of other Football players were here.  I was going to say, “Hi,” to Pete, but he was talking to a lady the whole time he was there.  She seemed like she was interviewing him.   

 

Fan Danny was also there and we sat together.  I was actually there before he was, which was a first.  I was a bit troubled by the eclectic music mix by the PA, but there were a couple of good songs in it.  More troubling was that there were a couple of kneelers on SD during the Anthem.  Ring, ring.  2020 is calling and wants its outdated social protest back.    


My numbers actually added up with the official numbers.  Beyond that, I wouldn’t entirely trust these scorecards.  The fourth inning was busy. 

 

Our freshman star, Desirae Spearman, was back pitching.  She has a big hop in her pitching motion.  For the first two innings, Des and Torero pitcher, Courtney Rose, went right through both lineups.  Rose was helped out in the second by her defense.  Amanda Limon at short ran down a popup in no-man’s land in short center.  Right after, centerfielder, Mikalyn Emaunelli, made a diving catch on a dying liner.

 

Des had a great offspeed pitch working.  An early batter in the third actually swung around in a circle at one.  But cancel the press conference, the Toreros loaded the bases on a single, a double, and a hit batter.  Des got out of it on a liner to third. 

 

There was a little girl in the crowd wearing a sharp Alex Morgan Team USA Soccer jersey with a star-spangled bandana.  One, she looked a bit out of place at softball.  Two, I wanted that shirt.  Could I wear a woman's jersey in public?  I'm not sure.

 

To the bottom of the third, Kendal Lunar gave the crowd a thrill with huge flyball over the fence that was just foul.  Cancel the press conference for SD, too.  Jessica Carreon came up with two outs and dropped a dead bunt right in front of the plate for an infield hit.  The first baseman lost the ball on the throw over.  After Jillian Taylor was hit by a pitch, Des slapped a single to drive in Jess to give the Aggies a 1-0 lead.  The Aggies had a chance for more, but Kaitlyn Wynia in right field made a great leaping catch to rob Dezianna Patmon of a double.

 

Tele Jennings answered right back in the top of the fourth with a leadoff home run to center.  Someone shouted, “Come on, Blue!” right after to the amusement of the crowd.  I don't think the ump was to blame for that one.  The next batter hit a high foul straight back.  As the PA was telling the crowd to watch out, the ball almost went into the Press Box.  The batter walked, but Des got the next three batters.  She was hit on the thigh on a comebacker, but was okay.  Jess, behind her, got the deflection for the putout.  (And that might have been a generous call by the ump.)  We're tied at 1.

 

Between innings, the SD fans were calling for the Aggie t-shirts that were being tossed into the crowd.  It never ceases to amaze me how much visiting fans want opposing merch.  My thoughts that this was going to be a very tight 7-inning game were exploded in the bottom of the fourth, though it would go the distance. 

 

Devin Elam led off with an infield single with the throw again getting away from the first baseman.  Kayla Lunar followed with another infield hit.  The second baseman didn't have a play as Devin ran by her and distracted her.  Jaileen Burton dropped another great bunt for a hit that loaded the bases with nobody out.

 

Krissie Boyd singled to drive in a run and keep the bases loaded.  Kendal then grounded to short.  Limon chose to throw home for the force, but threw wild and another run scored.  Jess came up next and worked a long at bat for an RBI walk.  Jillian sac flied in a fourth run, but SD finally got an out.

 

We're not done yet.  Des grounded to second, who missed the toss to short covering the base and another run scored.  Des even managed to take second on the play.  Dezi made the second out, but her grounder brought in another run.  The lineup turned over and Rose walked the next two batters before being replaced by Kelsey Tadlock.  She hit the first batter, which forced in a run.  Another error at short brought in a final run, before a liner to third ended the frame.  That was 8 runs, 14 batters, and 3 errors!  Aggies up 9-1 and, yes, they can really score in bunches.  Rose gave up 9 runs for the game, but only 2 earned.

 

A large dust devil blew through a vacant lot past the outfield.  I was getting hot and starting to feel the effects of a sunburn.  I was really hoping for a quick run rule in the fifth.  SD, however, did not want to quit to accommodate me.  After a leadoff single and a sacrifice, Joecellia Roberts singled in a run to prolong the game.  9-2 Aggies.  In the inning, Des did throw what looked like an eephus pitch that was taken for a strike.  The SD fans were incensed by the call.

 

The Aggies tried to end it in the bottom of the fifth with a pair of singles, but a double play that went to third for the force and then to first, ended the rally.  The heat was slightly getting to me and I mis-wrote on the scorecard a couple of times (that's what I get for using ink) and I basically stopped taking notes.  In the top of the sixth, I finally got to see Jill make a great defensive play by running down a gapper.  In the top of the seventh, the Toreros loaded the bases.  Coach Rodolph stayed with Des, even after a couple of walks.  The fans were all over the ump during this.  A DP ended the game with Jayleen catching a liner and doubling off the runner at second.  Aggies win 9-2!

 

The game went two-and-a-half hours.  That last 20 minutes of the game were unnecessary, but the Aggies won and that's what matters.  Desirae Spearman was the easy Player of the Game doing it with her arm and her bat.  She was 2 for 4 with an RBI and gave up 2 runs over 7 innings.  Danny said this was actually one of her worst appearances, as she only got 2 strikeouts.  You'd hate to see her when she's on.  Pitcher Kelsey Tadlock on SD also gets a nod for 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief. 

 

I still had an hour before needing to get to work.  I hit Whataburger for a late lunch with a Honey Barbeque Chicken Strip sandwich, which was delicious.  At work, there was an Easter Egg hunt going on.  I had a co-worker telling me “hotter” and “colder” as I went looking for mine.  It was a very busy quarter end processing, but I somehow didn't collapse.  I checked in on Game 2.  The Aggies took it 7-6.  SD made a late comeback to make it close.  While I'd probably have liked to sleep in on Saturday morning, I'd need to be up for the noon game tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment