Thursday, October 12, 2017

Baseball Journal September 27-30, 2017

9-27-17
I missed the Rangers’ game that was on during the afternoon.  I had totally forgotten all about it and was sad for the rest of the evening.  I felt like I let Eric Nadel down and was mailing it in as a fan with the season winding down. 

Just to follow up from the 9-26-17 post, President Trump has gotten a lot of criticism for condemning NFL players taking a knee.  Trump was literally the only person in the country that could have said something and gotten their attention.  Nobody else’s opinion mattered.  A stadium full (or in this case, half-full) of fans boo’ing the players didn’t rate.  The players and the sports media actually thought this protest issue was settled in their favor because they’d tuned out all other criticism.  Trump was the voice of the majority of Americans, who were outraged by this unpatriotic display. 

9-28-17
The Hated Angels were eliminated from the playoffs tonight.  Better luck next year, Al.  Bah, ha ha!

9-29-17
I listened to the Aggie volleyball match on the radio yesterday.  Today I was in the mood for some baseball.  At MLB.com, all of the games were free to watch for the last three days of the season, thanks to the new Coke Zero Sugar.  I haven’t tried it yet.  Coke Zero was one of my favorite sodas, so I’m not happy about its demise. 

So of course the first game I turn to, Rockies versus Dodgers, was blacked out.  At least the radio broadcast was fun.  There sounded like a big happy crowd in Denver for the game.  The announcers were having a good time as the team was up big and close to clinching a playoff birth.  When I tuned in, the guys were discussing a seldom used “Umpire’s Interference” call that gave a player a base.  Glad I wasn’t scoring at home.  The Rockies won 9-1.  Meanwhile, I put up the video of the Rangers playing the A’s.  Though the Rangers were out of it, it looked like a pretty full house in Arlington.  It was another happy crowd as the Rangers were up 5-0 when I joined and ended up winning 5-3.
     
9-30-17
It was another bad reception night on the radio, but the signal was just strong enough that I toughed out listening to the Rangers versus A’s.  It was another full house in Arlington for the game.  Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks sounded happy.  The Rangers were up big, though the A’s did make it close late, 8-4 final.  The guys brought up that Andrew Romine played all nine positions on field today in a Tigers’ game.  That’s normally only a minor league stunt.  Meanwhile, with even worse reception, the Rockies lost, 5-3, to the Dodgers, but still clinched the second Wild Card slot.  The radio broadcast was doing celebration coverage at the ballpark, talking to players and executives.   


The next day in the paper, I read this recap about the Giants/Padres game this day: “Matt Cain pitched five shutout innings, then raised his arms and waved his cap, fighting off tears amid a standing ovation as he walked off the mound for the final time. . .”  Wow, that’s well written and a powerful mental image.  I’d read something about Cain on a Giants’ fansite, but just glanced over it.  Is he retiring?  I guess.  He certainly had a great career with three rings and a perfect game.  Tim Lincecum has reportedly disappeared off the face of the earth after his retirement.  Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner are still there, so it’s not the end of an era yet.  With the worst record in baseball this year, the Giants will definitely have to rebuild.      

No comments:

Post a Comment