Friday, October 20, 2017

NM State Aggies vs Eastern Arizona College Gila Monsters Softball 10-8-17

Hey, I finally got their name thanks to seeing it on the back of a cap worn by one of their fans.  The Gila Monsters are also the only softball team I’ve seen that plays with their pant legs down.  Everybody else plays with the high socks.  This exhibition double-header was delayed by the nearby soccer match.  They were afraid of foul balls going into the soccer grandstand.  I haven’t seen any fouls have that kind of distance, but it allows fans the opportunity to see all of both events.  I was delayed coming over, since I was getting player autographs and then took the poster back to my truck.  Hopefully, the softball girls understood.  (I’m still waiting for an opportunity to get softball player autographs at a game.)  A nice breeze had picked up to cool things off.

The Aggies’ lineup featured Samaria Diaz pitching (the girls in the dugout called her “Ria,” why not “Sam?”), Nikki Butler at first, Kelsey Horton at second, Jeanelle Medina at third (I heard her called “Nellie” from the dugout), Rachel Rodriguez at short, Brandy Hernandez in left (her way too accurate nickname is “Little B”), Victoria Castro (“Tori”) in center, and Caity Szczesny in right.  I think the DP was Merina Illi.  She wasn’t wearing a jersey with a number.  Our catcher was number #32, who I identified as having nice hair last time.  There isn’t a #32 on last years’ roster, so I don’t know who it is. 

Lastly, I kept looking for Kayla Green in the dugout.  As the tallest player on the team, she’s not hard to spot.  It wasn’t until after the game, I saw her out of uniform at the scorers’ table.  Hopefully she’s not injured from running into an opposing player in the last game.  Alternately, she might be in Coach Kathy Rodolph’s doghouse for running into that player.  I’m sure Kayla will be playing next year.

From crowd chatter, I figured I arrived in the second inning of a scoreless game.  (The scoreboard wasn’t on for this exhibition.)  I decided I’d just note interesting plays and scoring plays.  That came quick.  With runners on second and third, Caity hit a pop up right behind second base.  It dropped in between three players.  Two runs scored (2-0 Aggies) and Caity took second.  Even having seen it, I still don’t know how it happened.  Seriously, the ball dropped right behind second base.

In the third, Brandy came up to bat.  Being a local girl, she had several fans in the stands.  Behind me, there were a couple of guys, who may have been scoring the game for the Gila Monsters.  I wasn’t there for the first, but the Aggies seemed quiet.  The Arizona team was pretty vocal by comparison.  They also had an older guy in the dugout, who was one of the coaches, who worked up a steady chatter of encouragement for the girls.  The team had several fans in the grandstand.

In the fourth, Kelsey hit the light pole on a foul during her at bat.  I’d seen her almost do that before, which is why I’ve called her “The Natural.”  (Well, that and her great playing ability.)  She still looks a little tender when she’s sprinting, but moved well otherwise.  Caity scored on an error this inning, 3-0 Aggies.  The girls finally started singing a bit in the fifth.  A pinch-runner (unidentified) on third took home on a wild pitch, 4-0.  Tori drove in Brandy to make it 5-0.  

A new Aggie pitcher came in for the sixth.  She was a blonde lefty and wore a facemask when pitching.  A new catcher also came in.  She also had great hair, but it was so long, it covered her number.  I don’t know who it was.  The Aggies had their defensive play of the game as Caity made a catch in right field and then threw out a runner at home, who was tagging up from third.  Again, I’m not sure how this happened, but it was a great play. 

It was Caity’s day for unlikely plays until the bottom of the inning.  The Gila Monsters had their best play on a comebacker to the pitcher with Caity on third and Kelsey on second.  Caity was caught in a rundown, trying to take home.  Kelsey was then caught in a rundown, trying to take third.  The Arizona fans cheered the double play.  Merina, the batter, did reach and was driven in by Nikki, 5-0 Aggies, which was the final score.

Events were much less contentious today than last time.  Between innings, one of the umpires briefly danced in the circle, before dusting the rubber.  The home plate umpire talked to some Aggie fans in the grandstand, “Are we having fun?”  For the seventh, I noted that the new Aggie pitcher could really whip it up there.  You can tell by the sound of the ball hitting the catcher’s mitt.  They did play out the unnecessary bottom of the seventh before taking a break between games. 

While it was reasonably nice out and the first game went pretty quick, I’d been outside for quite awhile already with the soccer match.  I was also hungry, so I went ahead and left.  I did catch up with Aggie fan Danny from the soccer match, who was also at the softball and about to leave.  We had both invited new soccer fan Marty to see the softball (which she probably would have liked), but she’d had to leave.  This was the last exhibition for the girls for the year, so we were going to have to look forward to next season to see the softball girls again.  They looked good from what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment