Tuesday, October 10, 2017

NM State Aggies vs UMKC Roos Volleyball 9-30-17


I’d been worried about quarter end processing at work, but everything turned out fine Friday night.  I switched my worry over to the girls on the Aggie volleyball team for Saturday’s game.  Before Thursday night’s game against Chicago State, it was announced that captain, Jordan Abalos, was injured in practice and wouldn’t be playing this week.  In addition to being first or second in any given game in kills and digs, the coach mention she was their best passer and returned 50% of the other team’s serves.  She’s a big part of the team.  Jordan was seeking a second opinion on what seems like a season-ending injury.  I doubt there’s any good outcome from this development coming.  Even Jordan being cleared to play may not be good for her personally.  As much as I want to see her play, I don’t want her getting more physically hurt than she probably already is.   

Though Chicago State had a better record and was actually built up in the pre-game, the Aggies walked over them in straight sets, even without Jordan.  Tatyana Battle really stepped up with 13 kills.  KC Tohm was next with 8.  Lia Mosher was in on 8 blocks.  Ari Sierra had 13 digs.  So far, so good, but I was still concerned about the Saturday game, especially since it was an Autograph Day for the fans.  (Sidebar: Coach Mike Jordan mentioned chatting with new Women’s Basketball Coach Brooke Atkinson in an interview.  Its good see some collegiality between the Aggie coaches.  They were probably discussing voice-care techniques after a long day of yelling at the players.)

After waking up late after a long night at work, I ate breakfast right before going, so I avoided the concessions, which were busy anyway.  There weren’t any programs up front, but I found one at a side entrance.  The seats behind the bench were filled with a middle school girls’ volleyball team that had participated in an Aggie training session that day.  I said “Hi,” to a co-worker, whose daughter was at the camp.  Adam Young, broadcasting the volleyball today (thank goodness, it’s nice to have a friendly voice in your ear), called it a “light” crowd today.  The old man wasn’t even there.  I’d say attendance under 1,000.  (They’re not putting any stats on the programs anymore.)  Adam thought it was because of the Aggie football game this morning.  I frankly doubt the fans were in Fayetteville, so I don’t know where they were.  

I’d been listening that Aggie football game against Arkansas on the radio before going and during the pre-game.  That game finished just before this one started, and ended with a 42-24 loss.  No announcement was made about the score at the volleyball game, unlike the Lobo game, where the Aggies were winning earlier this month.  (Adam gave a late update, without giving a final score.)  I admit I was okay with the outcome.  I’d thought to myself beforehand that if the Aggies could keep the Razorbacks under 50 and score over 20 themselves, it would be a somewhat encouraging result.  As per the newspaper, the big winner was the Aggie Athletics department with a $1.35 M payout for playing the game.

The girls were out on court warming up.  (Yikes!  I saw Julianna Salanoa pick up a volleyball with one hand, palming it.  I haven’t seen that before.)  Jordan Abalos, not suited up, sat on the bench, watching.  Her desire to be out there playing was almost palatable.  A couple of little girls, maybe coaches’ daughters, were sitting next to her, keeping her company.  She didn’t go with the team to change for the game.  I didn’t realize until later that she was actually only able to walk on crutches.  Jordan would, very gingerly, hobble to join the girls in a circle during the match.  It was just heart-breaking to see her like this. 

During the Anthem, I swear I was hearing a choir.  Maybe it the middle school girls singing behind me.  For player introductions, the UMKC girls seemed very friendly, as they waved to the crowd.  The lights dropped and the Aggie promo video came on.  Most of the highlights featured Jordan, which depressed me and must have made her miserable.  Seniors KC Tohm and Sasha-Lee Thomas did not start.  Redshirt Sophomore and 6’5” tower Megan Hart and standout freshmen Lia Mosher and Brielle Sterns were in.  We’re going young today.  

Set 1
Tatyana Battle got the match started with a kill.  She was already taking charge from the first point on.  3-1 was a Roo point, but Megan Hart showed some unexpected skill in digging a shot off the floor.  KC and Brielle combined on a block at 5-1, and Brielle got a great kill at 5-3.  The Aggies dominated this set, but the Roos got a great dig on an Aggie point at 10-4.  10-5 KC missed on her third attack error.  11-5 Sasha came in and immediately got a kill.  KC came out and the coach talked to her. 

12-5 Kaylee Neal came in to serve and floated the ball just over the net for an ace.  The crowd roared in approval.  (I had my head down over my notes at the time.  I’ve got to stop doing that.)  13-5 Lia got in on the action with a kill.  20-8 the Roos won the point, but it was kept alive by three Aggie girls diving for the ball.  The crowd loved the effort.  22-8 Taty served an ace.  She was doing it everywhere on the floor.  She had 7 kills for the set.  Natalie Mikels served an ace to end the set 25-10 Aggies.

Set 2-Aggies 1 Roos 0
I don’t know how with all the noise, but there was a little boy sleeping in his mom’s lap in front of me.  Brielle started off the set with a kill and served an ace a few points later, 3-1.  (The Roos need to work on their return of service.)  KC made a couple more attack errors to tie it at 5.  KC came out, and Sasha got a kill to retake the lead at 6-5.  Sasha is the stopper when it comes to opponent runs.  12-6 the Aggies went on a 7 point run that only ended on a service error. 

The down official (the one on the floor, as opposed to the one on top of the net) started getting a steady stream of abuse from the Roos’ coach.  There had been a missed call earlier and now every close play was being argued.  17-12 Roo point, KC was looking in the wrong direction and missed a pass (grimace).  18-12 KC’s swing is blocked out for an Aggie point.  She was still taking her shots without hesitation.  19-13 Sasha got a massive kill that rebounded into the seats.  20-13 Taty got her tenth kill.  22-13 Lia got an overpass kill (a pass that gets too close to the other side of the net that the other team can hit, they’re cool).  23-14 Sasha put another kill into the seats.  25-14 Aggies was the Set 2 final.

Halftime
The contest on the floor involved some of the middle school girls popping balloons with their backsides.  But most of the entertainment came when all the girls started dancing for the camera back at their seats.  The staff came over and gave them all souvenirs from their effort.

Set 3-Aggies 2, Roos 0
The officials weren’t having a good afternoon.  4-1 Aggies, was a disputed point that was overturned in conference.  7-2 KC showed up with a great kill.  Time out Roos.  Dance Cam went into effect, Gangnam style!  The middle school girls were up and all over it.  My co-worker’s little son was dancing in the aisle with Pistol Pete.  How cool!  Pete came by later and took care of him with a souvenir button.  Ooops.   Too much fun.  The Roo bench got yellow carded for taking too much time to get back on the court.  I didn’t realize they were dancing too.

7-4 Roo point, but KC took three good, hard swings during it.  7-5 Roos got an overpass kill by #14 Alexia Morey.  11-5 during yet another break to mop up sweat on the court, the Roos’ coach really got into it with the officials.  I’m surprised she hadn’t been ejected by this point.  And was the temperature dialed up in the building?  There were about five stoppages for cleaning the floor during the match.  Normally, there aren’t any.  And is it really necessary for the players to be doing the housework?  It looked bad.  Maybe the ballgirls or arena staff could do it.  (I’ll do it.  I can see it now.  “So as long as I’m here, what are you ladies doing after the match?”  “Yellow card for bothering the players!”  “Can I at least keep the towel?”)

12-7 Lia was denied on the previous point, but got the kill on this point.  15-7 a Roo dump shot sent the Aggies scrambling with two emergency digs that eventually won them the point.  16-8 Roo #14 Alexia Morey with a great tip kill.  Very tall and pretty with long straight jet black hair, Alexia was hard to miss on court.  With her dark eye shadow, if it’s possible for a volleyball player to have a cute Goth look, she had it.  Alexia may also be something of a team leader, as I noticed her working up a lot of chatter with her teammates between points.      

16-9 Roo point, but the Aggies had four diving digs trying to save it.  The girls laughed afterward.  The coach yelled at them on court.   19-11 Sasha came up with another great kill.  Wincing afterward, she came limping right off the court.  That didn’t look good.  I don’t think she came back in.  23-12 KC got a kill and another at 22-13.  Bridgette Lowe came in.  Her right (hitting) hand was still wrapped up.  She was able to hit effectively with it.  23-17 the Roos won the long point on a KC attack error, which Adam identified as her sixth.  23-19 KC was called for a net violation.  Coach Jordan called a timeout as the Roos had managed to claw their way back into the set.  He likely reminded them of their two five-set losses this season, where they’d lead by two sets in both.  That must have done it, as the girls finished it off.  25-19 and 3-0 Aggies was the final. 

Tatyana Battle stood tall today with 15 kills to lead the team.  Adam mentioned at one point that she was hitting .800 with only two attack errors.  She’s 6’ but has such a lean build, you might underestimate how hard she hits.  Taty really steps up when needed, and that time is now.  This’ll be her team next year, if not now by process of attrition.  Brielle Sterns, built in a similar fashion, came up with 8 kills.  The future is now with the freshman. 

Sasha-Lee Thomas gritted her way through the match with 8 kills.  Last match (9-19-17), I could see Jordan was nearly done.  I’m worried I may be seeing Sasha in the same straits, playing until she can’t.  KC Tohm had 7 kills, but maybe the same number of errors.  Jordan would make errors, but if you kept feeding her the ball, she’d double that in kills.  KC looked physically okay, but I have to think there is something wrong in her life, because she’s definitely a good player.  I don’t know what to say.  The team has won two matches in what should have been convincing fashion, but instead left me wondering what’s going to happen when they face stiffer competition or have to play past three sets again.

I’m having a terrible time writing this, because I’ve been dreading having to bring this up again.  If the girls get injured during a match, that’s part of the sport.  If they’re getting injured in practice, that’s on the coach.  Why do I keep hearing about injuries sustained in practice?  Mike Jordan is our 20-year head volleyball coach, and I don’t even understand the rules of the sport, and yet I can see this problem clearly.  It’s too late for Jordan, probably for Sasha.  Hopefully, KC just had a bad day or a minor injury.  Take care of the rest of the girls.  Megan Hart was reported to be in good shape and eager to play.  Savannah Davison was cleared to play this week.  Julianna Salanoa is there.  You may need the firepower here shortly, so it might be a good idea to see if these girls can play.

On to more pleasant things.  With the win, autograph time was all smiles.  At the end of the match, the PA pointed out a pretty staff attendant named Brooklyn (how cool) on court, and invited the fans to go get the players’ autographs on a special poster, which Brooklyn would be handing out.  On the court, I waved to Adam Young.  He reached over and shook my hand, which was nice since he was just in commercial break and not actually done for the broadcast.  I told him I’d seen him on TV doing football and that he did a good job.

First up was my favorite herself, Jordan Abalos.  I’m glad I shaved today.  The good news was that the line moved quick, but the bad news was that that really limited the face time, not that I had speeches worked out for Jordan and some of the other girls or anything.  She was all smiles and pleasant, because she’s always so poised and gracious dealing with the fans and the media.  I only got to tell her good luck, and she appreciated the support.  Let me say here at least, Jordan, you’re awesome.  Being a great volleyball player is probably the least of your good qualities.  Things will work out for you.

Sasha was right next to her.  Unfortunately, like I said, things were moving fast, and most of girls had their heads down signing.  I would have liked to have asked Sasha how she was doing, but she was probably in pain and miserable.  I got a moment with Analyssa Acosta.  She is so pretty and sweet, just like last year.  She talked to me and liked my “Aggie Empire” shirt.  As if I didn’t think the shirt wasn’t awesome enough, it’s been enhanced.  (There was some sort of contest or drawing for tickets to The Last Jedi announced during the match, but I didn’t care.)  Next year will hopefully be your year to start.  I made an effort to call the other reserves by name when I could, since they appreciate the recognition.

Lovely Kaylee Neal I made sure to talk to, since I definitely wanted to ask her about her internship with the women’s basketball team.  She lit up.  She liked it and learned a lot and said it was a totally different culture on that team than the volleyball.  Surprisingly, Kaylee said she didn’t know anything about basketball (or not so surprisingly at 5’ tall).  Quickly, I asked if she was going to be a coach someday.  She laughed and denied it, saying she didn’t have the temperament.  I know Coach Jordan has gone out of his way to praise her work ethic, and she’s been called one of the team leaders.  I think Kaylee will be coaching unless she’s got another career set up.  I really wished I could have talked to her more.  It would have been interesting.   

I got a good look at Bridgette Lowe’s hand.  Not only was it wrapped up, her fingers were taped together.  I was a bit shocked she was playing like that and actually told her and said that she was tough.  She smiled and brushed it off like it wasn’t that big a deal.  (I’m not sure how she signed.)  Brielle Sterns was nice and I got to praise her good game.  I told KC Tohm that she had good bounce back set in the third.  She gave me that killer smile.  What I really wanted was to ask how she was doing, but this probably wasn’t a good venue for that or an honest answer.  Lastly was our star player today, Tatyana Battle.  I got tell her she had a great game.  I’m sure she knew that, but didn’t mind hearing about it.

I guess if I want more conversation with the girls, I need to join that Sideout Club and have dinner with them.  Sorry, not this year.  Work is too up in the air (and I’m kind of shy).  I’ll have to live with regret and missed opportunities for now.  You guys are great.  Even though it was busy, if I wasn’t assertive enough to say something to everybody, know that I meant to.  I ran into my co-worker again.  She asked if this poster was going up in my cubicle, like my other Aggie posters.  No, this will go on the fridge at home. 

It was still early.  Let’s see if the Softball and Baseball teams are playing today too.     

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment