Wednesday, November 22, 2017

NM State Aggies vs UT Permian Basin Falcons Women’s Basketball 11-14-17

Game #2 for the ladies.  This time they were playing the UT Permian Basin Falcons, a Division I team, on a Tuesday night.  Thanks to my vacation, I was able to attend.  I’m sure Coach Brooke Atkinson would have rather started the season with this game, than the Western Michigan Broncos (11-12-17).  The Aggies didn’t play a bad game against the Broncos, except for their shooting.  Even Brooke Salas’ team-leading 15 points in the game was off a 5 for 19 field shooting performance (thanks to the radio broadcast for that stat).  The coach said she was okay with the shots Brooke took; they just didn’t fall in for her.  The team actually started the season with a pair of closed scrimmages against other teams.  I wonder if that lack of playing in front of a crowd may have hurt them on Sunday.

If the crowd then was a little sparse then at 646 (according to tonight’s program), there might have been some cause for stage-fright on Tuesday as over 1,000 showed up.  Okay, many of the fans were little cheerleader girls, who were doing the halftime show, and their relations.  The Pan-Am parking lot was full when I got there.  At the start of the game, the little girls came down en mass in brightly colored, neon streams into the goal end seats. 

Speaking of relations, I got poked during the first quarter by a co-worker who was sitting behind me that I hadn’t seen.  She was there for her niece.  She apologized for interrupting me.  Yeah, there I was with my earpieces in, listening to the game, keeping a scorecard, and writing notes.  This reminds me of that Men’s game I went to last season (1-21-17), where a couple of other co-workers didn’t come by and say “Hi” because I looked “intense” watching the game.  It is a way different level of concentration than keeping a baseball scorecard.  Anyway, I tried talking to her for a minute, but it was almost impossible with the crowd and band noise.  I saw another co-worker go by and yelled and waved, but I couldn’t even hear myself.  Still, it’s a good thing to have a big crowd.

I had Adam Young and Nolan Fox in my ear for the game.  They did a good job and it was an enhancement, but again with the crowd noise, I ended up missing some interesting commentary about the team.  It ended up not helping me keep score when I couldn’t hear.  In the concourse, there were posters with Zaire Williams and Tonishia Childress to go with the Jasmine Cooper one released earlier.  Brooke Salas was on the pocket schedule.  Come on guys, you used the same picture of her from last year.  I’m still waiting for the poster. 

The guy cheerleaders had the large team flags to help bring out the team from the locker room.  The girl cheerleaders were up in the stands when play started.  There was a new PA for the game.  The voice was familiar though.  I think he does commercials for the university.  A lady with an extremely cute little dog was sitting down in front.  I really wanted to pet that dog.  Also of note, the band did a really good job on the Anthem tonight.     

        

First Quarter
This was the UTPB Falcons only game against a Division I opponent this season, so it was their big out-of-conference game.  Just to say, they’re a pretty nice-looking team and coach.  A couple of the girls wore their shorts hiked up, showing off their legs, which wasn’t a bad idea given how they looked.  The Aggies have another game against a DI team later this year.   

The referees seemed like they were in a hurry.  They started play before anybody other than the players were ready.  The Aggie fight song was still playing during the tip-off.  They did have to stop play early on as there were shot clock issues.  Pan-Am guys, get your act together for the games.  This is embarrassing.  At an early break, the PA announced that the cheerleaders were going to be throwing more stress balls into crowd, but play was once again started early and the promotion was canceled.  It was like the referees had a plane to catch.

Gia Pack started the game off well with a three on her first shot and two more buckets.  She’d go on to have a great game with 18, but I think that was her only three-point attempt.  I don’t know why she’s not doing the thing she was best known for last season.  Coach Atkinson started putting in the reserves early as the score became lopsided quickly.  Freshman Pam Wilmore came in and got a couple of buckets.  I like her hustle. 

The Falcons were firing a lot of air balls in the game.  The band taunting them about it seemed unnecessary.  Noise prevented me from really hearing the comment, but the guys mentioned there was a difference between DI and DII courts, that might have been causing them problems.  Nolan mentioned the Aggies weren’t getting a lot of rebounds with the misses, because it’s really hard to track an air ball.  28-11 Aggies after 10 minutes.

Second Quarter
This could be a problem for the rest of the season.  Coach Atkinson’s preferred spot to stand during the game is right in front of Adam and Nolan.  They did have trouble seeing a couple of plays and were dodging around her, trying to get a look.  Brooke took her first shot in the second quarter.  She made a three.  Unfortunately, she had a pretty quiet day and did not play much.  The guys were a bit disappointed, but fully expect her to be among the conference leaders in the scoring by the end of the season.  She still does it on defense.  On a trap, she got a steal, passed to Gia, who finished and got the foul.

Zaire Williams had a downright bad day.  She seems to be being groomed as a three-point shooter.  Zaire made one in the next quarter, but was 0 for 4 in this one.  UTPB did pick up their defense and shooting, but the Aggies really turned up their defense.  They were denying shots to the point of near shot clock violations.  47-26 Aggies.

Pistol Pete came by.  He chatted with a couple of older ladies in front of me.  They were actually there cheering on the other team.  They were from El Paso, but I’m not sure who of the four El Paso players on the Falcons they were there for.  The biggest cheer of the game from the crowd came when the Sundancers and the Aggie Cheerleaders came out on court during a break.  The little cheerleaders were impressed with them.

Halftime
The Razzle Dazzle Cheerleaders came out on court.  About half of their performance was just getting the enormous number of girls lined up and ready to go.  It’s a good thing I didn’t need to go to the bathroom, because I was surrounded by parents taking cellphone videos of the performance.  The little girls were adorable, of course.  It occurs to me that these girls’ ages may have precipitated the time change for this game to an hour earlier. 

Third Quarter
We had a scary moment in this quarter.  Gia and Brooke both hit the floor, fighting with the Falcons over a rebound.  Brooke came up rubbing her head.  The Coach took her out immediately.  I think she was okay.  The Aggies started clearing their bench.  Aaliyah Prince came in.  She got a finger roll shot in the lane for her first college points.  The bench and starters erupted for her.  Adam mentioned she was highly recruited.  After a good start, she kept losing the handle on the ball.  Adam thought she was trying too hard.  On the Falcons, Jackie Perez, at 5’3”, was one of the shorter players on court.  Adam and Nolan were amazed by her play.  She collected at least 7 rebounds by the end of the game.  66-33 Aggies.

Fourth Quarter
The Aggie starters were completely out.  The Falcons also used their bench.  I think everyone played, except for Tonishia Childress, who was injured.  Both teams started off playing up tempo, running up and down the court.  The Coach immediately called a timeout and presumably told the Aggies to knock it off.  I’m sure there was good reason, but I think everyone left (most of the kids and parents were gone by this point) and myself would have enjoyed it.

Baylee Robinson from Roswell came in.  She was in a knee brace.  Kaeli Atkinson was in.  She’s not related to the Coach, but was related to another one.  (Again, crowd noise.  Couldn’t hear the story.)  6’4” Aissatou Fall from Senegal was a presence on court.  Adam referred to her as a “project,” as she was just recently introduced to the game.  She also scored her first college points.  You can’t teach size, but you can teach the rest of it.   

I was pleased to see El Paso walk-on, Sara Lopez, enter the game.  She was so eager, she forgot to check in first, and the referees made her go back and do it.  Nolan also seemed glad to see her.  He reported that she’s “a gym rat,” and hangs out there playing pick-up games (which apparently she shouldn’t be).  Sara dominates the guys there.  She got a steal and a couple of free throws and was cheered on from the bench.  Brooke was all smiles for a change.  I think they’re friends off court. 
          
Sara ended up at the line three times and converted on all her attempts.  There’s been a rules change, that they’re not doing one-and-ones anymore.  They’re all two shots on fouls.  One last good Aggie play before the end.  Pam made a steal and passed to Sara.  She either made a great behind-the-back pass or a bad behind-the-back dribble.  Pam got the ball and finished.  Aggies win 85-58.

This game was never hugely in doubt.  I didn’t take a large amount of notes.  Briana Caro was the high-scorer for the Falcons with 13.  Sierra LaGrande had three three-pointers in the second half.  The team actually had more three’s than two’s for the game.  Like I said, Gia Pack had a great game for the Aggies in only three quarters.  The twins, Monique and Dominique Mills, also had great games at 15 and 11 points respectively.  More praise for Jeneva Toilolo, who had 8 off the bench.  Overall, the defense and rebounding looked good. 

Last game, a gentleman leaving saw me scribbling and told me to make sure I got everything down.  Tonight, I think it was the same guy came by and asked if I wrote for the paper.  No, I’m just writing to torture myself in case I accidently enjoy the game too much.  (And like a guy from the paper would be wearing Aggie gear at a game?)  Amazingly, even with the distractions, the scorecard added up for me (after a couple of tries).  No idea if it’s right or not, but it added up.  I would have stayed for the end of the radio post-game and all the stats, but they turned out the house lights on me.  Somebody really wanted this game over with quick.  

I’ve been overeating on vacation, but I had to try Schlotzsky’s new turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich.  It was pretty good (along with their ice cream of course).  Somebody else came in after me and used the coupon on the back of an Aggie ticket.  I was miffed though.  There’s no radio call for the game versus Lobos on Saturday in Albuquerque.  What the heck!  No competition for Aggie Football that day I guess.


Postscript
So a couple of days later, I was at the mall and ran into a senior from last season’s team, Tamera William, at Auntie Anne’s pretzel shop.  Given that I still have her signed poster up in my kitchen, I had no trouble recognizing her.  Let me get this out of the way first: Yikes!  She’s gorgeous!  I’d referred to Tamera as a “cutie” before, but out of uniform and dressed up, she’s a knockout.  She couldn’t have been nicer.  It probably helped that I knew her name and told her I’d met her getting her autograph (and I was wearing an Aggie hat).  I also told her the team could have used her defense on Sunday. 

Tamera’s working on finishing her degree and thinking about trying out for the WNBA.  She asked if I’d be at Friday’s big Men’s Basketball game with the Lobos, so she’s still an Aggie fan.  I could have chatted for a few minutes about the team, but unfortunately she had a coughing fit, which cut our encounter short.  Hopefully, she’s okay and not sick or choking.  She seemed a bit embarrassed, though there wasn’t any reason to be.  Even with that, this made my vacation week and hopefully (again), a pleasant fan interaction made her day too.     

No comments:

Post a Comment