Monday, November 27, 2017

NM State Men's Basketball Recap November 17, 2017

Let’s talk some Aggie Men’s Basketball.  I’ve listened to a couple of their games this season without taking any notes.  (Yes, I also listen to and watch sports just for fun or just to have something on.)  The team won against a slight foe and lost to a good one so far this season.  However, this game was serious.  All Aggie fans had this game circled on their calendar.  I was on vacation, but told that there was a buzz around work about this game.  Here it was.  This was the return of traitorous ex-Aggie coach, Paul Weir, and his new team, NM State arch-rival, the UNM Lobos to Las Cruces.  I’m told there was even some national interest in this game.  Nothing like a jilted fan-base to heighten a rivalry game. 

Though I could have gone, since I wasn’t working tonight, I didn’t even consider it.  I did not want to face the crowd and traffic by myself and didn’t want to try getting with anyone else to go.  I definitely planned on listening over the radio.  Imagine my surprise as I tuned in and heard the voice of the El Paso Chihuahuas, Tim Hagerty, doing the announcing.  It didn’t change my mind about going, but I was now really sorry I wasn’t there.  If possible, I would have loved to have met Tim and told him directly how much I enjoy his broadcasts. 

Usual Aggie Basketball announcer, Jack Nixon, was out-of-town to call Aggie Football on Saturday.  I’m sure he was hating missing this game.  Tim, of course, did a great job in his absence.  He brought up that this rivalry has been going on since 1904.  That first game was won by the Lobos, 21-9.  They might have been playing by some different rules back then, and the peach baskets probably kept getting dislodged every time they were hit by a shot. 

The surprises kept coming.  I had my TV on while listening to the radio.  While I was flipping channels at the beginning of the game, I suddenly ran into the game on the continuous weather network.  Last year, I saw an Aggie Women’s Basketball game on that station, so it wasn’t totally unprecedented, it just wasn’t on the TV schedule.  Maybe the crowd tonight was big enough to lift a local blackout.  Adam Young was doing the duties here.  Sorry Adam, I kept the radio on and TV muted.  There was a slight delay, but how often do I get to hear Tim Hagerty doing basketball?  Still, it was great to be able to watch (and made me really wish I was there).          

NM State did what they could to promote the game.  Free t-shirts and foam fingers were handed out before the game.  As Jack Nixon said during a previous game, “Come on out and show Paul your finger.”  Chik-fil-a was running a free sandwich promotion if the Lobos missed two free throws in a row.  There were even tailgaters reported in the parking lot in the afternoon.  The next day, Athletic Director Mario Moccia reported the crowd at 6,900.  Capacity at the Pan-Am Center is 12,500+ (according to program information).  From watching TV, the seats in the rafters weren’t filled, but everything in the lower bowl was.  And the crowd was into it.  A titanic “boo” greeted the Lobos onto the court.  Another went up when Coach Weir was introduced.            

Things were bad to start.  The Lobos went up 8-1.  The Aggies didn’t score a field goal until five minutes in, and it took four attempts on that possession to get it in.  However, events turned around quickly.  On two separate plays within minutes of each other, Sidy N’Dir fed an “alley oop” to Johnny McCants for a jam to get the score close.  The crowd was completely jazzed by the plays, even more so because McCants is a local kid on the team.  A couple of minutes later, N’Dir took one in himself on a drive and dunk to give the Aggies a 17-16 lead.

The game kept getting chippier as it went along.  Right before the half, the Aggies managed two steals on the same transition, but a Lobo player fell on top of the thieving Aggie player.  Another Lobo roughly brushed by the Aggie, which caused a retaliation, which was what the referees saw when they called a technical.  Upon review, they reversed the call.  I’m not sure what the final verdict was though.  It was 31-18 Aggies at the half.
  
The Old Man got on camera in the first half waving a sign.  There was another sign that read “Weir in good Jans with NM State,” referring to current Aggie coach, Chris Jans.  The Aggies were not great in the half-court offense, but were really good when running.  However, that wasn’t their game plan for tonight, since running was the Lobo’s preferred style.  Adam was surprised by the low score.  Given the teams, he was sure going in that somebody would score 100.  The Aggies were annoyingly missing on 50% of their free throws.  The Lobos were shooting 50% on field goals, so the Aggies were fortunate to have the lead. 

The Aggies started off the second half with three three-pointers in a row.  40-30 Aggies.  The only thing stopping the Aggies was a delay by the officials to pick up some discarded gum on the floor.  None of the players took responsibility.  The student section, many of whom were wearing surgical masks for some reason, chanted, “It was Paul.”

The Lobos went to a full-court press later in the half and took to shooting threes.  The Aggies kept playing patiently and were trying to draw fouls.  N’Dir got a steal and took a hard foul.  The referees were starting to get angry with the players’ aggressive play.  Words were exchanged between players after a contested rebound.  Technicals were called on both teams, but a Lobos player was ejected.  With the Aggies up late in the half, 59-49, the crowd really got into it.  Adam reported, “Lou Henson Court is shaking.” 

Both teams started going up tempo.  69-55 the Aggies got a layup.  A frustrated Paul Weir said the wrong thing to an official afterward and got “T’ed” up.  That didn’t help his team, but did delight the crowd.  At 73-55, the student section was jumping and cheering.  The game was well-enough in hand that the Coach put out the bench for the last minute.  Our happy totals are: Aggies 75, Lobos 56 or Aggie fans get revenge and Paul Weir has to take it.  Our stat of the game: Aggies +25 in rebounds.  The team walked up the into the student section to rousing congratulations on their way to the locker room.     
   
About halfway through the game, I remembered I’d picked up a leftover Men’s scorecard at a Women’s game.  I could’ve kept a scorecard for this game.  (Weird things make me happy.)  Zach Lofton was the Aggie high-scorer with 28 in any case.  The Aggie defense held the Lobos under 100, which the Lobos’ previous two opponents this season could not do.    Coach Jans credited the fans for their support tonight.  I couldn’t help but notice all the newspaper did before and after the game was run articles about Weir and put his photogenic picture with them.  Jans was the forgotten man in this affair. 

I was happy for an Aggie victory.  Hearing Tim Hagerty in the off-season was great.  Getting to watch the game on TV was an unexpected bonus.  There was a bit of a scheduling conflict late in the game.  As advertised earlier in the week, The Contest episode of Seinfeld came on another channel.  It was the twenty-fifth anniversary broadcast.  I remember watching when that episode came on originally.  It was definite “water-cooler” talk when I went to work later that night.  I still laughing so hard, I could barely tell my co-worker what happened in the episode.  

No comments:

Post a Comment