Tuesday, February 20, 2018

NM State and UTEP Men’s and Women’s Basketball 2-15-18

The UTEP Miners Women’s Basketball team played a late afternoon game versus the Marshall Thundering Herd.  Since they were playing in West Virginia, it was actually an evening game, I guess.  Brandon Cohn was there riding solo and damn happy to be there.  The Marshall band played All My Ex’s Live in Texas during the Miner player introductions.  One of the Miners missed the trip for academic reasons, giving them a short bench.  I can see why NMSU has made a point of keeping all of their players eligible. 

I was getting ready for work during the first quarter.  I heard Katarina Zec get a block.  Given that I’m listening for her, I’m always glad to hear Kat some highlights.  The quarter ended 17-12 Herd.  I was in transit for the second quarter and tuned back in at work at halftime.  It was 28-25 Herd.  Brandon complimented the Marshall staff.  They gave him and the team a tour of the university, including the tribute fountain.  It’s turned off on the anniversary of the tragic accidental deaths of their football team in the 70’s.  (I haven’t seen the movie.)    

Things got kind of busy at work, so I wasn’t entirely paying attention to the game.  Marshall went on a run in the third and the quarter finished with them leading 45-39.  Late in the fourth, Jordan Alexander got a put back to bring the score within two.  I missed the end due to a loud conversation in the next cubicle, but the final was 66-64 Marshall.  UTEP may be in trouble making the post season conference tournament with their current record.  My girl Kat led all scorers with 20 points and along with 9 rebounds. 

During the game call, Brandon said, “She missed the bunny,” a couple of times, referring to a player missing a layup.  I’d never heard anyone else using that phrase, but upon searching, it’s apparently common.  I’d only use it during Women’s games frankly.  My next door cubicle mate asked, “Why are you listening to a Miner game?”  He then answered his own question, “Oh, it’s that girl, right?”  I mentioned Kat wears nerdy glasses when she’s not playing.  He immediately got the Superman reference.   

Later that night, I got to watch the Aggie Women take on the Utah Valley Wolverines on TV here at the Pan-Am Center.  Well, not really.  I was pretty busy and only got to check in on the game a couple of times and watch the last few minutes of the game.  I joined the game at the half with the Aggies up 30-24.  This was in spite of 10 Aggie turnovers and Mariah Seals of the Wolverines putting in 14 points, mostly off of four three’s. 

During the third quarter, the Aggies went on a 16-0 run to take a definite lead.  I also noticed that the girls on the bench were wearing pink sweaters.  I thought that campaign was over.  In the fourth, the Aggies had up to an 11-point lead.  That got trimmed to 4 in the last minute.  The game got rough as Jasmine Cooper and a Wolverine player both got technicals, but only the Utah Valley player fouled out.  The Aggies would go on to ice the game with free throws for a 59-51 Aggie win.  Brooke Salas led with 25 points, 17 of those in the second half.  Gia Pack came in with 18.  In the postgame, Coach Atkinson used the phrase, “The Nail,” to reference the free throw line.  I like that.  I’ll have to work it into a post sometime in the near future.

An hour after the Women started, the Aggie Men started their game against Utah Valley on the road.  I joined this game on the radio at the half, after the Women finished.  It was 41-37 Wolverines.  Zach Lofton only had 2 points.  In the second half, it was a close back-and-forth.  The Aggies took a slim lead of 61-60 with under 10 minutes to play. 

The crowd there in Ogden was really into it.  The score tied at 66 with six minutes left.  With under four, Utah Valley got a block and a three for a 71-68 lead.  That grew to 81-74 with under a minute.  The Aggies weren’t able to catch up.  86-79 Wolverines was the final.  Wolverine Kenneth Ogbe, whom the Aggies silenced in the second half of their game in Las Cruces (1-20-18), scored 22.  The Wolverines ended the game with five players in double figures.  Zach finished with 19 in the Aggies’ first conference loss.  Coach Jans blamed the team defense.  The Aggies never stopped them from scoring to be able to get on an offensive run.  

No comments:

Post a Comment