Friday, March 20, 2020

Country Music Magazines: Life-Roots of Country Music

In answer to your first question, I'm actually not a big Country music fan.  However, my mom was.  In particular, she loved Dwight Yoakam.   (Elvis was her other love.  I transferred several Elvis movies and specials off of her VHS tapes to digital video recently.)  As part of her fandom, she left behind a pile of magazines.  Most of them featured an article about him.  Some of them just had a mention.  She'd draw a little box anywhere a magazine where his name was printed. 

Dad and I weren't sure where she had gotten all these magazines.  Neither of us remembered buying any of them for her.  There was one that had a note on the back that I'd bought it for Mother's Day.  I like Dwight Yoakam, but I'm not that big a fan, so I'd decided to give the magazines away, but I couldn't do it without keeping something. 

What a mistake.  This was way too much work for a subject that I'm not that into.  The only way this could have been worse would have been if I was a big fan.  I might tried scanned these in their entirety.  Without any real direction, I scanned whatever I thought was interesting.  That became terrible "mission-creep" and resulted in me going through the stack a few times.     



This was a pretty classy retrospective of Country music.  It was mostly a picture book though.





Gene Autry had one well-trained horse.


There's Minnie Pearl.  I remember seeing her perform on TV, but I can't remember anything other than her, "How-dee!"


Cast picture of the Grand Ole Opry.


Dolly Parton's unmistakable silhouette.  


The funeral of Patsy Cline.


Here's an almost unrecognizable picture of Willie Nelson.  Nelson, of course, wrote Crazy, which Cline made immortal.



 Lastly, he're a fun piece on Country hair.  I'm digging Tammy Wynette's hair.  My first exposure to her was her duet with the rap group,The KLF, in the 90's.









No comments:

Post a Comment