Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This season so far in Doctor Who


This isn't so much a review, as just series of impressions.


Asylum of the Daleks

When episodes like this come along, it's very easy to remember why you watch the show. Tight, focused, and it had a payoff. Also, we were introduced to the delightful Oswin Owald. I sincerely hope that the character, and not just the actress, returns as the Doctor's companion in the Christmas special.


Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

This episode is so ridiculous and paper-thin, I feel compelled to rip it to pieces. But can't. What can I say, it was fun. Not to mention, Karen Gillan just looked delicious in this. Am I turned on by blue and white, striped sweaters? When she's wearing one, I am.


A Town Called Mercy

This episode serves the distinction of being the worst waste of a great guest star, since Anthony Stewart Head was brought on to NOT play the Master. I like Ben Browder a lot. If there was ever going to be an American Doctor, this would be the guy, if for no other reason than just to hear him rattle off a steady stream of pop culture references, rather than technical explanations and backstory. Still there was something missing from this appearance, namely Claudia Black, his hypothetical companion. I can imagine what happened on the set during filming:

"Where's John Crichton? Where's Cameron Mitchell? Who the hell are you?"

"Why I'm the Doctor. Isn't that clever? Doctor Who, just like in title."

"Shut up, you fairy. Now where's Ben Browder?"

"Oh, dreadfully sorry. We've already killed off his character."

"That is bloody rubbish. You're only halfway through the episode. I've seen John and Cam survive virtually anything, even death. (Though that was technically a duplicate.) Crichton!!!!!"

And then the Master shows up in a gimp suit. "Hallo, John."

(This is great. I really should be writing for the show. Yeah.)

Otherwise the episode was dreadful. I can see where they were going with trying to establish the Doctor's morality. Of course I saw it. Everybody saw it. It was that heavy-handed. Unfortunately, this show reminded of the worst of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where they established some moral or ethical dilemma and then never really resolved it in a meaningful way.


The Power of Three

This one started out so promisingly and then never amounted to anything. I guess it's supposed to setup an event and a big villain for later. I guess. Whatever. A domestic episode with Rory and Amy was a nice premise. Pity they didn't run with it.


The Angles Take Manhattan

Imagine my disappointment as a hoard of Medieval German barbarians at no point in this episode attacked the City. Then I realized that there was a misspelling in the file name of my pirated copy.


The Angels Take Manhattan

Here's what this episode felt like: I've got some cool ideas and great way to cap off Rory and Amy's story. I'll start out writing most of the script in detail and just outline the ending. When shooting actually starts, I'll realize there are a few tremendous plot-holes and also that the episode is running short, so we'll have to pad out some scenes. Don't worry. We'll just tell the actors to be really emotional at the end. That'll cover up any problems.

The Angels' scheme would have been clever, if it had made sense. Even upon re-watching, I still didn't get it. Actually, a lot of the time-travel stuff in this one I didn't get. Then the Deus Ex Machina at the end to force Rory's and Amy's exit. The story just needed a little more logic in order to work.

I don't want to sell the emotional content short. Matt Smith and Karen really wring it out at the end. But the climatic scenes went on too long. That's how you turn drama into melodrama.

One last thing. "Blink" was the definitive Angel story. As introduced, they were never more than a one-shot villain. You can tell this by the fact that they have to add more to them every time they're used. I only want to see these creatures one more time: the Doctor exterminating the lot of them for making Rory and Amy disappear.


Overall

Asylum is well worth your time. The rest? Not so much. I am highly anticipating the Christmas special and the Doctor's fiftieth anniversary season.

No comments:

Post a Comment