Monday, June 3, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend Sports Journal Part 5


Monday, 5-27-2013

We start this holiday Monday in a fairly low-key manner, but optimistic nonetheless. I was up too late watching Buckaroo Banzai. I kept telling myself that I’ll stop watching and go to bed as soon as I lose interest, and then the movie was over. I didn't see the movie when it was released in the theaters, but strangely I did read the novelization.  The novel made no sense and was in parts, just a reprinting of the movie script.  As bizarre as it is, it does have an internal logic, so the story makes sense (especially compared to genre movies today, like the new Star Trek). The movie may be a throwback to earlier pulp heroes (or maybe Tom Swift), but it is overwhelmingly of its time, the 80’s. In spite of the big hair, big suits, and glam, the movies’ most endearing traits are the absolute earnestness of the actors’ performances, and the nobility of the heroes. Part of me is sorry they didn’t make a sequel or that no one has attempted a remake, but there is virtually no way to intentionally duplicate charm.

No racing today, but plenty of baseball. I may be kissing and making up with KROD. They’re broadcasting one of ESPN’s Memorial Day baseball games this morning. It’s rivalry week in the MLB, so I’m listening to the Nationals vs. the Orioles. I’m typing up yesterday’s stuff while it’s on and not really paying attention, as I don’t really care about either team. Though the game is in Washington, about half the crowd seems to be rooting for Orioles. 6-2 Birds. The announcers mentioned the same thing about Nationals Park that Len and JD did recently, that the pressbox is in the nosebleed level of the stadium. The guys mentioned that they were looking down on the blimp.

The second game, A’s vs. Giants, is joined in progress afterward. Scoreless until the 4th inning, when Madison Bumgarner ceased to be able to find the plate consistently and gave up two runs. The game is in Oakland and is a sell out, but they’ve left the upper level seats tarped over. They apparently did this in the playoffs last year too. I wonder about the A’s marketing department. It’s a very loud, active crowd anyway.

Meanwhile in Phoenix, a beleaguered Ranger team is facing the Diamondbacks as their cross-league rival in a day-night doubleheader. (The Astros are playing the Rockies, if you’re wondering.) Eric and Matt are talking about their travel accommodations. They sound in good spirits, though the game is 4-0 Dbacks in the 6th.

Scheduled double dips are an anachronism. They don’t even do straight up Ernie Banks’ style “Let’s play two” doubleheaders anymore. (Though there was one last season.) Given the length of the modern game, I don’t know if you could really expect fans to sit in a stadium and watch 7+ hours of baseball in a day. Although, pursuant to the exception to Rule 4.10 (a), “National Association League games may adopt a rule that one or both games of a doubleheader shall be seven innings in length.” Yes, it’s really in there, though I would like the term “National Association” defined more precisely.

I’m flipping back and forth between both games on the radio, since I like both the Giants and the Rangers. In the 6th in Oakland, Buster drives in a run making it 2-1 A’s. In Phoenix, the Rangers are striking out a bunch and leaving men on base. 4-1 Oakland (I missed some scoring there), and that ends up being the final. KROD again puts the game on autopilot late in the game, interrupting the coverage with their commercials every 15 minutes. 5-0 Dbacks, until the top of the 9th. Profar drives in Texas’ first run, followed by Beltre driving in two more, but to no avail, 5-3 Arizona, final. I rush out the door with the final out (actually Giants-A’s finished last) to go to my parents’ apartment for the WGN game.

Conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment