Tuesday, March 1, 2016

NMSU Aggies vs Maine Black Bears Baseball 2-27-16 Game 2

There was a 30-minute intermission after Game 1 of this double-header.  Crowd chatter let me know that this double-header would be a 9-inning game and then a 7-inning game.  I had thought that both would be 7 innings, as the schedule had optimistically stated that Game 1 would start at 2:00 pm and Game 2 would start at 4:00 pm.  Even without knowing the time, I could tell it was nowhere near 4:00 when Game 2 started.  Actually, several people in the crowd for the second game arrived as the first game was ending and had to wait through the intermission.  (Some came from the Aggie Women’s basketball game.  Talk about real Aggie fans.) 

I visited the concession trailer to take care of diner.  On the way down the stands, I noticed the stylish, hot girls who’d been seated in front of me had left a pile of sunflower shells spit on the stands.  Granted, that was what everyone else was doing, but that seemed less classy behavior than how they had looked.  For $9 I had a small bad hot dog, lousy nachos, and a Coke Zero, all of which I ate too fast, which would have consequences.  Immediately, I ended up wearing the nacho sauce.  After the game, the nachos came back and haunted me that night. 

At least the stadium music was good.  (I found out later that it was 90’s Night at the ballpark for the music.)  There was even a surprising jazz track that sounded like a Vince Guaradi song.  I fiddled with my little radio again, hoping Game 2 would be broadcast, but no luck.  Taking a look back, the radio press box was dark.  With the sun going down, it got cooler, but I felt prepared as I’d brought a jacket.  I could now clearly see the scoreboard with the dark.  The field was well lit.  The stadium was not.  Seeing to write notes and keep a scorecard was a challenge.               


As attractive as the girls sitting in front of me for Game 1 were, they got topped in Game 2.  A stunning blonde kept getting my attention as she walked past me a few times.  Unlike the other girls who had clearly invested a lot of time and money in their looks, this girl was in blue jeans and a t-shirt, with her hair casually pinned up and was wearing little makeup.  She was just naturally beautiful.  As she wasn’t sitting anywhere near me, I wasn’t able to make an onsite sketch, but after dreaming about her, I found myself trying to draw her Monday morning.  This probably isn’t even close in looks, and I was rushing this. 

During the game, a group of Japanese girls came in and sat directly behind me.  Having watched plenty of Anime, I knew Japanese when I heard it, though I didn’t understand any of it.  They were a lively bunch.  They chattered, “ooh’d and ahh’d” with plays on the field, giggled, and at one point, even broke into a little song.  I’ve seen a couple of baseball games played in Japan.  Their crowds there are pretty passionate, but these girls (presumably university students) just seemed to be just out for a little entertainment.  They did not seem to be there rooting for #4 Brent Sakurai of the Aggies, which was the most tenuous guess I could make for a draw for the girls (and he’s from Hawaii).  In contrast to what I’ve seen in the cartoons, no tentacles appeared while they were there.  (I should mention that I actually haven’t seen the notorious tentacle Anime, Urotsukidōji or anything like it, though I have seen a couple naughty comedies that were very funny and highly inappropriate in mixed company.)  

    
The game started off well as the Aggies got fired up from two great defensive plays in the first.  Once again, #7 Daniel Johnson made another great catch in center field (I’m sounding like a broken record).  Then there was a great relay to third from right field to cut down a runner trying a stretch a double into a triple.  The bench actually helped by shouting “Three!” to tell the on field players where to throw the ball.  This got the Aggie dugout rev’ed up.  In the second, it was the Black Bear’s turn, as they got out of a bases loaded jam (thanks to two more hit batsmen) without giving up a run.  I like seeing the players getting really involved.  However, nobody scored for the first four innings, and everyone quieted down.

It was scoreless, but not tension-less.  Everyone waited to see who would break the seal first.  If the ump missed any calls, don’t worry, both benches and the crowd will let you know.  There was no let up on the home plate umpire from the previous game.  Elsewhere in the crowd, a (I’m trying to be as diplomatic as possible) developmentally challenged little girl was heckling the Maine team.  It was disconcerting, but she was into it and having a good time.  No harm done.  #9 Roman Trujillo from Las Cruces, came with his own cheering section, which is appropriate for a hometown young man.  In the second inning, I saw a fake to third, throw (or fake) to first move.  This type of motion is a balk under the current MLB rules.  One, it’s a waste of time.  Two, it never works.  (Okay, I’ve seen it work, but it’s about as common as a triple play.)  The college rules should be amended.  Also, lengthy timeouts with full team meetings on the field should be discouraged, as college games typically run too long.    
    
In the fourth, #24 Marcel Renteria, the Aggie pitcher, got hit on the leg by a liner.  He was checked out and okay, but in the fifth, he was really laboring.  Along with a couple of hits, there was a wild pitch, a balk, and made many throws to first to hold the runners (a sure sign of a tiring pitcher).  Still, Renteria and the Aggie defense held them to two runs.  There was actual dancing the Maine dugout.  They were back into it.  In the bottom of the fifth, the Black Bears went through three pitchers achieving the same result: two runs scoring with only one hit and a bunch of walks.  The turning point in the inning was #33 Joe Koerper seemingly hit by a pitch.  Coach Brian Green had it out with the ump and fired up the team and the crowd.  Maine ended the inning with a double play.  We were tied.   

In the sixth, I held my breath for the possibility of a four strikeout inning.  #27 Joe Galindo entered the game and got three strikeouts, but one was with a wild pitch, which allowed the runner to reach.  The last out was a fly out, but I was glad to see a scoreless frame.  Just to keep the crowd involved, there was a foul ball that went straight up and over the screen and dropped unto the entry stairs to stands.  A kid got it and brought back to an older woman.  She ended up with three or four balls.  Perhaps she was collecting them for the team.  There was another older woman sitting nearby.  Though she had a blanket, it had gotten too cold for her and she left before the end.  She told the other lady that she’d listen on the radio.  I should have said something.  Meanwhile, between innings, I noticed two Aggies running a sprint to the outfield with a coach.  It seemed like punishment, but I don’t know for what. 

The final inning, the 7th, started off ominously as #8 Brett Worthen came in and fell off the mound, nearly cart wheeling, twice.  He was okay, but there must have been something wrong with the mound.  It didn’t affect his pitching, as he had two strikeouts.  #25 Mason Fishback, the catcher, threw out the one base runner.  It had been getting steadily colder at the park, and my jacket was no longer enough insulation.  I was officially freezing, but darned if I was going to leave.  At the bottom of the frame, the Aggies got two hits and were moved up by a wild pitch.  With one out, the next batter was walked intentionally to load the bases for a possible double play.  Fishback came up and did hit a grounder to second.  But the play developed too slowly, and he beat it out to first as pinch runner #18 Greg Popylisen scored the winning run.  The team charged the field, and I suddenly felt toasty warm for the rest of the evening.      

For players of the game, I give it to Galindo and Worthen for locking down the 6th and 7th innings.  The Aggie defense came up big with some great plays and only one error.  I arrived home happy and finally saw a clock.  It was 8:20.  So that was a nice, tidy six hours at the ballpark.  Who’s up for a game tomorrow? 


No comments:

Post a Comment