Monday, March 7, 2016

NMSU Aggies vs Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks Baseball 3-6-16



I enjoyed last Saturday’s Aggie double-header and was looking forward to the one scheduled for this Saturday, but real life got in the way.  Let me tell you, six hours at the ballpark is way more enjoyable than six hours at a hospital, even when you’re not the patient.  With things settled down, I planned on making the Sunday game.  Unfortunately, they started without me.  I could hear a game going on as I approached the stadium and briefly hoped that it wasn’t the game I was coming to see, or perhaps some pre-game festivities.  I might have turned around and gone home if I’d just asked someone what inning they were in, since I could listen to the game was on the radio, if I hadn’t seen a spectacular blonde, in the mold of Anna Sawver, go inside.  I felt compelled to enter.  I wonder if I was the last person to buy a ticket for the game.

I only briefly saw the girl again once inside, and that was as she was leaving, but that seemed to be the way my weekend was going.  Flipping on my small radio, I learned that Stephen F Austin (SFA) had some travel issues that moved up the start by two hours.  I was nothing but dismayed by the scoreboard which showed the Aggies losing 6-4 in the FOURTH inning.  Crap.  It got worse as I listened and learned that the Aggies had dropped the Friday game and the double-header on Saturday.  I abandoned the notion of starting a scorecard and mentally checked out on even writing anything. 
    
The crowd inside was kind of small.  At least I had no trouble getting a prime seat behind home plate. I’m not sure if was surprised that it was small, given that the team had split a couple games with nationally ranked Texas Tech and it was such a nice day, or that anybody was there given the scheduling.  There wasn’t a radio call for the games on Saturday, which would have announced the change in game time.  I question whether the website was updated.  How’d people know when to show up unless they knew the players? 

Backtracking slightly, I’d listened to both Texas Tech games on the radio.  The Aggies won dramatically on Tuesday, holding on to a one-run lead in the 9th as their closer, #8 Brett Worthen, was injured after starting the frame, and the bullpen had to piece together a victory.  The Aggies were demolished the next day 14-2.  It’s not going to be your day when the opposing starting pitcher gets a dozen strikeouts, and obviously Aggie pitching wasn’t that great, especially with the wind blowing hard out.  In spite of the victory, the loss seemed have demoralized the team, starting the skid against SFA. 

I was apparently surrounded by fans of the visiting team, but there was plenty of space, and with my crimson hat and shirt, I obviously wasn’t with them.  They at least had a couple of attractive female fans.  Since I was seated up front, I didn’t see much of the crowd, except for an attractive blonde woman, sitting by herself near their dugout, rooting for the other team.  I wasn’t exactly sure of her age or how she was associated with the team, but she was very much into it. 

For some reason, there was an increased presence by campus security.  Did something happen the day before?  One thing definitely missing from the crowd was the kids.  I don’t know if anybody was running down foul balls behind the stadium.  A couple of aisles over, there were a couple of guys who I think were umpires watching the game.  I popped out my radio earpiece to listen to them talk shop for a bit, but didn’t really glean anything of interest.  There wasn’t much else of interest I noticed, as I was oriented right up with home plate.  I still haven’t felt comfortable enough at the stadium to sit higher up, let alone near the Aggie dugout. 

I can really only recap the part of the game I saw, but what I saw was enough to convince me to write something out.  (Forgive me if I’m getting some specifics wrong or vague.  I didn’t start keeping notes until about the 8th inning.)  The Aggies scored as I was settling into my seat, so it was 6-5 going into the 5th.  Things went quiet for the Aggies, but the Lumberjacks kept threatening.  They attempted a steal of home in the 7th that looked to me to be part of a double steal, a call which would have come from the coach.  After a little game of Twister at home plate, the runner was tagged out and the inning ended.  In the 8th, #27 Joe Galindo came into the game with the bases were loaded and two outs.  Even the small crowd started making a lot noise, along with both dugouts.  Galindo ended it with a strikeout.  In the top of the 9th, there were runners at the corners with two outs.  Once again, everyone got loud, and again Galindo ended it with a strikeout.  The Lumberjacks really wanted that insurance run.

In the bottom of the 9th, the PA urged everyone to put on their rally caps, however you wanted to interpret that.  I turned mine around backward.  The crowd began stomping on the metal stands as the Aggie batters came up.  #7 Daniel Johnson made a long fly out to right field as the wind had picked up.  The crowd got a bit louder.  #44 Dan Hetzel banged out a double and was replaced a pinch runner.  The crowd got louder as #22 Austin Botello came up.  The wind had worked against the Aggies against Texas Tech, but this time it took a more favorable turn.  A heavy flyball to right center carried right over the fence and picked up all the Aggie fans to their feet, cheering.  The team charged the field for a celebration.  Aggies win 7-6.


For me, the afternoon of baseball ended after less than an hour and half, but I thought I’d gotten my money’s worth.  I certainly needed something to cheer about after spending the day before at the hospital and waiting for a prescription.  Right after the game, the winds had picked up and the temperature had dropped to a less pleasant level.  I did hang around the clubhouse area for a moment and saw Botello give an interview, though I’m not sure with whom.  I’ve dubbed the area the “kiss and cry” as team’s girlfriends and families hang out there after the game.  Perhaps, the “kiss and hug” would be more accurate.  Galindo got an enthusiastic hug from a girl, maybe a little sister.  I felt like giving the guys hugs for that win too.  Stephen F Austin wasn’t kidding about travel issues.  Out in the parking lot, I saw their bus pulling out, before most of the crowd had even left.  It’ll be a couple of weeks before I get to see or hear the team again (they’re not in town and not on the radio), so it was good to leave off on a high note.         

No comments:

Post a Comment