Tuesday, January 30, 2018

UTEP Women’s Basketball January 26-28, 2018


I listened to the UTEP Miner Women play on Friday (1-26-18) and Sunday (1-28-18).  I admit that I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to either game while they were on.  It occurred to me that what I really wanted was to be watching these games so I could see more of Katarina Zec.  I’d run into Coach Kevin Baker’s show earlier in the week on the radio, which I did enjoy listening to.  He seems like a really nice, upbeat fellow, which contrasts with the usual coaching duties of yelling at the players and the refs.  There was also an interview with an assistant coach (didn’t get her name), who had an amazing pedigree in education.

I was working Friday night and was pretty busy.  The ladies were in Houston playing Rice, a good team in C-USA.  It sounded like a really good crowd there.  A reportedly good-size contingent of UTEP fans were in attendance.  Scoring was low to begin with.  Katarina got most of her scoring early, but cooled off later.  The rest of the team wasn’t doing well either.  Tamara Seda was big presence on defense and UTEP went down big when she was out for foul trouble.  It was 29-15 Rice at the half.  The Miners had overcome 15-point deficits twice this season, but it wasn’t to be today with the final, 56-42 Rice.

Sunday, I had the NHL All-Star game on TV, but had the Miners on the radio.  I hadn’t seen that All-Star game in a few years, since it’s been on cable.  I didn’t realize they’d radically changed the format.  I guess I didn’t like it, since I kept flipping channels.  The Pro Bowl was on at the same time.  That was poor scheduling on the NHL’s part, though the Pro Bowl is even less interesting.  I ended up mostly watching a Mexican sports/soccer highlight/talk show with Ivette Hernandez, who made the show highly engaging. 

The Miners were playing the North Texas Mean Green in Denton.  (No matter how dissatisfied I get with the El Paso Chihuahuas’ name, I’m always comforted by the much worse team names out there.)  They were playing in arena nicknamed “The Super Pit.”  Duke Keith, calling the game, was downright offended by the name, I guess in comparison to “The Pit” in Albuquerque (which they’ve attempted to rename into something corporate, but it’s not going to stick). 

Katarina again scored early.  That was apparently all I wrote down, other than the 34-29 UTEP halftime score.  Ivette is very distracting.  Actually, though the game was fairly close, it just wasn’t very interesting as neither team was scoring much.  The fourth quarter took this to an extreme.  It was 44-41 at the start of the quarter.  Katarina made a three, which was the only field goal for the Miners for 10 minutes!  That’s right, they only made one shot from the field in this quarter.  They flat out didn’t score at all for the last two minutes.  The only good news was that the Mean Green weren’t much better.  The final was 50-48 Miners.  That’s 13 combined points for the quarter. 

With the score that close, regardless of the offensive futility, it was pretty dramatic at end.  The Mean Green (I’m grimacing typing that) had nine seconds with the last shot and were only down one point, but missed.  They fouled Jordan Alexander on the rebound with less than a second left.  She missed the first free throw, but made the second.  For the last play, the Greenies heaved the ball at mid-court and hit the rim.  Game over. 


Wait!  Nobody touched the ball afterward.  Should the clock still have time on it?  Who has possession?  Finally, the refs ruled that hitting the rim started the possession and ended that game.  Whew.  Coach Baker, after meeting with a multitude of friends and fans there, said in the post-game interview that Jordan was supposed to miss that second free throw, because the other team touching it would have ended the game.  So, six points in the quarter and one of them was an accident.  Well, this game turned out to be interesting after all.         

No comments:

Post a Comment