Friday, January 12, 2018

NM State Men’s and Women’s Basketball and UTEP Women’s Basketball

1-11-18

UTEP Women’s Basketball
Okay, I’ve written about enough UTEP Miner Women’s games that I’m going to have to start tagging them.  I keep running into their games on the radio on KROD.  I don’t have a schedule for them.  I don’t even know what station the Miner Men play on.  Today, I caught the girls playing a matinee in El Paso.  It was another Basket and Education Day, like the one the Aggies played against Arizona (12-14-17).  Ouch!  I didn’t want to remember that game again.  When I tuned in, it was halftime.  I could tell there was a big crowd of kids there without even being told.  A basketball/acrobatic troop was performing and the kids were going crazy.  I’m kind of sorry I wasn’t watching.

The Miners were playing the Charlotte 49’ers.  That doesn’t sound right.  I don’t think I’ve heard of them before.  Why would an east coast basketball team be called the “49’ers?”  The Miners went down by 15 early, but made a comeback in the second.  They took the lead in the third.  It got close in the fourth, but the Miners pulled away 67-58 in the end.  Tamara Seda had a good game in the process.

Interviewing the coach afterward, he thanked the kids, who had to leave before the end, for helping them in their comeback.  Steve Kaplowitz did the game and Sportstalk an hour later on remote, so he was a busy fellow.  His co-host, Tracy Miller, had an interesting comment that she’d done some officiating.  The experience had given her a respect for them that she didn’t have as a player (especially ref’ing men’s games). 


NM State Women’s Basketball
Later at work, the good news was that the Aggie Women were playing on TV on Aggievision.  The bad news was that I was busy and could barely watch.  Also, the Aggie Men were playing an hour after the Women started.  Both teams were playing Grand Canyon University.  This was a tight game.  It was 31-30 Aggies at the half.  Brooke Salas had 10 at that point.  Jasmine Cooper had 8.  Gia Pack had gotten a technical foul, but I didn’t see the incident.  The first year coach of GCU was a really good-looking woman.  The camera kept focusing on her, so the director agreed with me.  She was a former WNBA player. 

Honestly, I only got to really sit down and watch the end.  With under a minute, Brooke sank a bucket to give the Aggies a three-point lead, 61-58.  As Zaire Williams was reported to have said later before the possession, “Get Brooke the ball.”  On the defensive end, the Aggies had fouls to give and disrupted the Lopes (smart play), who ended up losing the ball out-of-bounds.  Brooke was fouled and got a free throw.  GCU got a quick basket on their end.  On the inbound, Zaire took a poke in the eye, but made two free throws to ice the game.  64-60 Aggies final.

Brooke finished with 16 points.  She high-fived that kid that’s always around Aggie sports as she left the court.  Coop finished with 11, which is super-encouraging.  Tonishia Childress had a pair of three’s.  Monique Mills had 0 points.  That’s not a good thing.  I’m really concerned about her psyche now.  And Tamara William was there supporting the team.    
   

NM State Men’s Basketball
I picked up the Aggie Men playing at GCU at the half.  It was 37-37.  The Lopes are considered to be the Aggies main competition for the WAC this season.  Again, I was busy and not able to pay close attention.  With under 10 minutes, the Aggies went on a 9-point run.  Later, the Aggies’ had a possession where they had six seconds on the shot clock, but had to go the entire length of the court.  I’m not sure how that happened, but the result was AJ Harris going coast-to-coast for a layup.  Johnny McCants snagged an offensive rebound and a jam to put the Aggies up by 11 with under two minutes. 


With under a minute left, I finally remembered that GCU puts all of their sports games up live on Youtube.  So, I did watch the very end as the Aggies won 70-59.  The Aggies had 18 costly turnovers, but were +25 in rebounds.  This was a big win in a hostile environment.  The Lopes really stuff the place for their home games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment