Saturday, March 14, 2009

BSG: The End is Here

How sad is it that I'm looking back at Hercules and Xena as the "good old days" of fantasy and science fiction on TV? Speaking of those shows, I guess I could talk about Legend of the Seeker, which is produced by the same people. It's a reasonably entertaining show. There's only been one egregiously bad episode. Unfortunately, it was their big, two-hour series premiere, wherein they apparently shot off most of their special effects budget. The incredibly cliched premise doesn't help. The actors deserve Emmys for getting out some of those lines in the first episode with a straight face. After that though, it's not bad. Tonight's episode was excellent.

Oh yeah, back to the new Battlestar Galactica. How sad is it that I'm going to comment on this episode without actually having watched it? Call it virtual reviewing. What's really hurting this show with me is that the old Battlestar Galactica is being rerun on the Retro Network. That show kicked ass! (Mostly.) Why didn't it run for four seasons? It's not fair! (Answer: Even by today's standards, the old show was very expensive to produce. ABC couldn't afford it.)

Okay, on with my pseudo-review. I think a comment on Aintitcool summed it up, "WTF is this! Am I watching the right show?" There were two highlights in this episode which was entitled, "Filler Episode." (Or should I say, "Yet Another Filler Episode." By the gods, have they been phoning it in this season.) In a flashback, a drunken Apollo fights a pigeon. I'm not sure if he wins. The other highlight was Baltar having a Ralphie moment, straight out of A Christmas Story. "Oh frakkkkkkkkk. Only I didn't say `Frak.'"

Predictions for The End next week. An Evangelion-like ending is starting to look all but assured. (I'm not going to try and summarize Neon Genesis Evangelion at this time.) It may at least be like the End of Evangelion movie, in that there'll be plenty of action around the scenes of incomprehensible psychological wanking. Let's hope there isn't an actual wanking scene like there was in Eva.

How does it all end? Adama looks up at the sky and shouts, "Noooooo!" as the camera begins a long, infinite pullback to the tune of the Head-Six (voices in the head) theme song. What leads up to that moment? I can't say.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment