Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How would Joseph Conrad run a D&D game?

Ah, this one I like. Conrad actually lived an African adventure before writing about it in Heart of Darkness. Of course, his “adventure” was one dominated by discomfort and illness (physical and mental). His fictional story had a lot more action, even though it’s known for being a psychological tale.

Heart of Darkness was filled with evocative, detailed settings, and filled with vivid inhabitants. This is definitely the hallmark of a good DM. I think he would relish the opportunity to take a group of players on an adventure, especially from the comfort of a living room.

I’ve been working on my own adaptation of Heart of Darkness as a D&D adventure, probably along the lines of a Paizonian Adventure Path. I’ve thrown in some Apocalypse Now, the Vietnam War version of the story. Just for fun, I’ve planned for the character party to be fighting supernatural creatures inspired by the anime classic, Ninja Scroll. Somehow this combination seems appropriate to me. Of course, I’ve added my own original weirdness. That was unavoidable. I hope it will be in fashion Conrad would have done it.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment