Friday, October 25, 2013

Artifacts: Archie #70 and Uncle Scrooge #14

[Cyber-Pulp update: Made up some test characters today.  I've shown some rough draft material to playtester Evan, and he's enthusiastic about it, or enthusiastic about breaking the game.  "If my character goes into "Bullet Time, is he also healing at an accelerated rate?"]

The used bookstore I go to carries used comics as well.  A few months ago, they had a bunch of old comics from the 50's there.

I was very pleased to find an old Archie.  The humor is timeless.



I posted excerpts from it at the Archie Fan forum.

http://www.archiefans.com//index.php?action=gallery&g2_view=tags.VirtualAlbum&g2_tagName=Archie+70

[I just noticed this link no longer works.  Their servers crashed a while back and all the images I posted there disappeared.  Here are the scans.]












I like this ad and Archie in-house ads in general.


You gotta love this ad for 78 rpm records, featuring the music of Dean Martin and some Mambo selections.


Archie was popular enough to spawn a horde of imitators.  Wilbur was Archie's attempt at copying itself.


Ah, one of my favorite Archie characters, Katy Keene.




I am a huge Carl Bark's fan.  This old Uncle Scrooge was a treasure.


The main story was Uncle Scrooge finding the Lost Crown of Genghis Khan and meeting the Abominable Snowman, but I liked this story best.









This is the back cover.  Notice the Pledge to Parents in the corner.  Marvel and DC (and probably Archie) have nearly totally walked away from kid-friendly comics, even though their material hasn't matured in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment