Friday, May 30, 2014

Memorial Day-Vacation Sports Journal 2014 Part 1

Thursday

Today’s Meal: McAllister’s Deli, Sweetberry Chicken Sandwich from the Secret Menu and a Mixed-Berry Lemonade.  The sandwich was fine, though not as good as the two other items I’ve had from the Secret Menu: the Patriot and the Godfather.  I blame the bellyache on the fact that I didn’t stop when I was full.  The Lemonade was a disappointment.  It was just okay.  Given how good their sweet tea is, I was expecting more, especially after they’d been sold out the last three times I’d tried to order it. 

NMSU Aggie Baseball
I listened to their first WAC tournament game Wednesday night.  It started a bit after 8:00 and ended at midnight in gut-wrenching defeat.  They’d lead comfortably for most of the game only to lose it in the bottom of the 8th.  Final score 11-10 against City State Directional Tech (who cares who they’re playing).  Today’s game in the Loser’s bracket (I assume there’s a more politically correct name for that, but I don’t know what it is), the Aggies bounced back 7-3, which means I’ll be able to hear them tomorrow.  Of note, one of Aggies uses a wooden bat.  Apparently none of the BBCor bats were heavy enough for his tastes.

Texas Rangers
I started listening to the Rangers’ day game on Wednesday, only to lose reception early on.  I was enjoying today’s day game, where they were whipping up on the Tigers, when the same thing happened.  A co-worker has suggested a neighbor is probably experimenting with a Tesla Coil.  I went to McAllister’s because they were the only nearby restaurant open before the game.  I started listening to the Aggie game, because I couldn’t hear the Rangers, and I had an upset stomach the whole time.  This wasn’t the best way to start a vacation. 

One thing I did hear was that the Rangers have gotten some new radio sponsorship for challenge calls.  Oh, how I’ve loved watching the manager-umpire hokey-pokey dance while they’re trying to decide if they want to challenge or not.  I knew (and presumably everyone else) that this would turn into some stupid gamesmanship ploy.  I just didn’t know it’d be this bad.  And rest assured, it’ll get worse.  The time it takes New York umps to make the call, doesn’t include the wait times for the challenge/no challenge decisions.  Gee, I wonder if games are going to slow down and last longer because of this? 

Washington Redskins
I’m so gratified that the Senate, who couldn’t be bothered to take up a bill about cleaning out bad employees from the Veterans Administration, did find time to condemn and demand a name change for the local NFL team.  I’ve got handful of much more offensive names that would be way more appropriate to represent Washington DC.  Instead, I’ll suggest a completely inoffensive name that will appeal to children, just like the Chihuahuas: The Washington Toy Poodles.  There’s the Toy Poodles now charging out on to the field in their pink and white uniforms with their adorable mascot, Fifi! 

As a Dallas Cowboy fan (I know I’m pretty quiet about that but I haven’t had a lot to cheer about for the last, oh, decade), I hate the Redskins and look on with complete amusement at this situation.  On the other hand, the Redskins do have a pretty good national fanbase who do care and probably don’t want the name changed.  According to the last known poll on the subject, somewhere upwards of 90% of the people of being theoretically directly offended by the name, don’t care about it.  So who doesn’t like the name, and why are the rest of us listening to them?

I can see it now.  “It’s a game-winning, last second field goal!  The Toy Poodles have beaten the Cowboys!”  (JDH417, watching the game, grits his teeth.)  “G*d*mnit!  And the name change has made this loss a thousand times worse!”   

El Paso Chihuahuas
The dogs were out of town and KROD powered down for the evening before their West coast game came on, and I don’t have an Internet connection at home.  But, I do have some news to report.

One of the Tim’s guests during the dogs’ first home day baseball game has posted his review of the new ballpark.  He’s got the dramatic, sudden history of the stadium here, a bunch of pictures here, and a review of the food here.  Short story, he liked the place a lot.

I’ve also got a couple of reviews from people at work, who’ve gone to games.  Yes, the dogs have got some appeal here, up the road, in Las Cruces.  Both people who’ve gone very much enjoyed the experience and were highly impressed with the facility.  Both had no trouble parking across the street in the parking garage, which I find heartening.  The only complaint that both had was the high price of concessions.  No complaints about the food itself, which was great. 

One of the girls was irritated that she didn’t get to see enough of “Chico,” just barely getting a glimpse.  Given that she didn’t have her kid with her at the time, I found this a little disturbing.  She was worried about taking him along, him being a hyperactive little boy.  I told her, I thought there was a playground somewhere at the stadium, so she may take him next time and, no doubt, embarrass him in front of the mascot.


Friday

Today’s Meal: A Five Guys Bacon Cheese Burger.  Excellent.  Over the meal, I prepared my bid for the Los Angles Clippers.  Upon acceptance, I plan on firing all of the multi-million dollar salaried Black players and replacing them with sub-minimum wage hourly illegal aliens.  I may even convert the team to an indoor soccer league.  At the press conference I’ll say, “Missing Donald Sterling yet?”

NMSU Aggie Baseball
Back at the WAC tournament, the Aggies took the first game of an elimination double-header, 7-4.  Next, they faced the number one seed with their pitching staff highly depleted, giving up 6 runs by the second inning.  They made a good comeback run, but lost 9-5 and finished their season.  I’m sorry to see it end, since these Aggie games are the best reception I get for baseball on the radio.

Texas Rangers

Rangers are playing the Tigers again.  Weird to hear Eric Nadel call one of my favorite players, Ian Kinsler, making plays against the Rangers.  Then the signal cut out from the El Paso station and the game was over before I could pick it up on a Midland station.  So much for baseball today.

No comments:

Post a Comment