Monday, May 19, 2014

Sports Journal 5-18-14

Soccer
You know it’s been a poor sports weekend when you’re starting off with soccer.  Oh, it’s likely more my fault than sports in general, but athletics haven’t done anything to rouse me from my funk.

I thought last weekend that somehow the English Premier League had its championship.  Imagine my surprise as two teams were playing for a cup and neither of them were the team that was being congratulated last week.  I have no idea. 

I decided to give it a look-in because my favorite soccer team, Arsenal, was playing.  How did I acquire a favorite team in soccer when I don’t even have a favorite hockey team, a sport which I actually watch regularly and enjoy?  Simply, they are the favorite team of my favorite F1 driver, Jensen Button.  Also, they seem to be nicknamed, the Gunners, which would actually be a great team name.  Unfortunately in our repressive thought-controlled society, we’re unlikely to ever see that name used here.  (More on team names later.) 

My Arsenal guys managed to make the greatest soccer comeback of all time as they were down by the insurmountable score of 2-nil, but tied it in regulation and went into Extra time.  Failing to break the tie, the teams into Extra Extra time.  Arsenal scores!  Yea!  Championship! 

Wait, why are they still playing?  Two minutes later, the teams decided to stop playing for whatever reason, and Arsenal had indeed won, this time for sure.  I have no idea what I watched or how the game works, but my guys won!  I wonder if there’ll be another championship next weekend?  (Actually, I think there is.)

Cycling
Oh yeah, now I’m officially scrapping the bottom.  Even I may not read the rest of this post.  Actually, I enjoy bike racing, or did.  Because of all the scandal in the sport, it’s lost a lot of prestige and, frankly, it’s highly un-cool to say that you like it these days.  It was the Tour of California.  Cyclists in the final stage were challenged by high mountain elevations and even higher state taxes, and a flat out urban sprint, dodging illegal aliens left and right.  I’m just kidding.  It was an upscale neighborhood.  No doubt the residents had sent the lawn workers away for the day.  What’s great about cycling is that the winner gets kissed by trophy girls on the podium, the way God intended.  The winner had twin ruby red lipstick marks on his cheeks during the interview.  Awesome.

Hockey
My ability to watch hockey seems to be diminishing as summer temperatures rise.  I skipped the Sunday game, even though I like the Blackhawks.  I paid indifferent attention to the Saturday game where the Ranger drubbed the Canadiens.  They were playing in Montreal, and I couldn’t help but notice that there was an Expos banner up in the rafters with the hockey team’s banners.  This brings up the obvious question of what did the Expos ever win?

I think I missed mentioning this early in the baseball season, but late in Spring Training, I saw the Blue Jays in an exhibition game at Olympic Stadium.  The Montreal fans were encouraged to break out there old Expos jerseys, and they actually filled the stadium there.   Where were all of these people when they had a team?  Seems like there’s good-sized potential fanbase there.  Montreal Rays?  Montreal A’s?  Hmmmm.

Indycar
Wait.  That was a hockey update?  Weak.  I deserve a good, cheap shot into the boards for that one. 

Well, it’s about to get weaker.  Local boy, Ed Carpenter won the pole for the Indy 500 for the second year in a row.  I couldn’t watch more than five contiguous minutes of qualifying, in spite of four hours of coverage over two days.  Sunday was particularly bad as ABC/ESPN spent an hour doing nothing before drivers actually went out on track.  The new qualifying format made no real sense to me.  The change was probably mandated by the lack of needing a “bump” day, which certainly means that they’re probably paying a few teams to start to make up the field of 33 cars.  Still, I’m looking forward to the big race next weekend.  Sort of.  During the cycling, NBC was advertising the Monaco race starting at 5:30 am.  Memorial Day Sunday promises to be a very long day for me.

Baseball
Why am I even bothering with these section titles?  First up, I have to mention the NMSU Aggie baseball I listened to all afternoon on Saturday.  The second game of the double-header was rather memorable at 22-15 Aggies.  I think the football team would be happy if they could score like that.  It was a 7-inning game that, no surprise, took longer than the 9-inning game that preceded it.  There was something like five pitchers used in the first inning.  That was the end of their regular season.  They’re off to the WAC tournament this week.

In Major League Baseball, the rash of pitcher arm injuries continues unabated.  I don’t pretend to have any special knowledge about this subject, and apparently neither do the people who get paid to take care of these guys.  For all of the babying of Strassburg’s arm, he still ended up needing surgery.  My Rangers are getting devastated for the second year in row over injured pitchers.  Nobody seems to know what they’re doing when it comes to managing arms, especially new pitchers.  I think this issue will be (or should be) headed to the Commissioner’s office.

I was pleasantly surprised that KROD was carrying the ESPN Yankees-Pirates game Saturday afternoon.  I almost listened to it instead of Aggie baseball.  Unfortunately, apparently nobody at the station was listening either, as local commercials kept interrupting the game.  I changed stations in sheer frustration.  Let’s see you guys at KROD pull this kind of amateur hour broadcasting during a Cowboy game or during your local sportstalk sometime.  If it’s too difficult for you to broadcast national baseball games correctly, why don’t you just broadcast dead air/ESPN sportstalk (same thing) in between commercial breaks instead? 

Chihuahuas
This is what’s known in journalism as “burying the lead.”  I have to make another apology to the team.  On the team’s website, there’s a link to a contest for best minor league cap.  After perusing the entries, I’m forced to conclude that “Chihuahuas” is not only not the worst team name, it may not even be in the top ten of bad names.  The Biscuits, the Rubber Ducks, the Sand Gnats, the Hops (beer hops), the Kernals (cob of corn), the Tourists, and the Manatees are just a sampling of, not just worse, but much worse names.  I won’t even get into some of the weird, disturbing logos. 

There’s some winners on the list like the Arkansas Travelers, the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, the Tulsa Drillers, the San Antonio Missions, but for the most part, most teams are lucky to even have a questionable name.  Listening to all those Texas League games, I had just assumed most minor league teams had good names.  How about those cats?  We got Mudcats, Fishercats, Rivercats, Rockcats, Valleycats, and Flaming Cats (I’m just kidding about that last one).  I’m beginning to think somebody should take up my gag name, Surfing Bears, for real.  (If I ever own a team, I’m naming them the Gunners.  I expect harsh criticism from the PC police.)
 
The team, meanwhile, has sent down the hero of their first homestand, Jake Lemmerman, to Double A.  I said Triple A rosters were fluid.  His game-winning grand slam lives on in the promos. 

The Las Vegas 51’s came to town and lived up to their second-best record in all of baseball, taking the first three games in the series.  On a Dog Day Sunday afternoon, where El Paso fans were encouraged to bring their dogs, the 51’s went up 7-0 halfway through the game.  Game over?  Hardly.  In the bottom of the 6th, Cody Decker would drive in a go-ahead run for the dogs, capping a 7 run inning.  (No word on what he was wearing though.)  Needless to say, the sell-out crowd went berserk.  From the sounds of it, I don’t think any of them left at 7-0.      

The score would go back and forth again, but El Paso would prevail 10-9.  Another signature game for the team at home.  Unlike the Diablos, where it didn’t matter if they won, it only mattered what the promotions were (really, they didn’t budget for promotions in the post-season, the fans and team management literally didn’t care if they won or not), I think the fans are expecting more now.  The Chihuahuas need to win to keep their fanbase.  Victories like this are exactly what they need to keep the buzz going.  Another thing that helped this series was having local El Pasoan, Omar Quintanilla, playing, albeit for the opposing team.  The fans did applaud him and give him a warm welcome.  Very knowledgeable. 


My only disappointment with today’s game would have to be with the canine fans.  I don’t know how many dogs were in attendance, but I only heard one distinct bark.  Apparently the dogs were sitting on their paws for the game.  What were they thinking while their owners were going crazy?  Would the dogs rather have been home watching golf or hockey?  Mad that they never get taken to basketball or football games?  I blame their owners for not properly training them.

No comments:

Post a Comment