Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Baseball Journal September 11-13, 2017

9-11-17
Once again, no baseball for me on the tenth.  At work, I was able to catch a little of the Brewers versus the Pirates on the MLB free game.  I’m not passing up any chance to listen to Bob Uecker.  Since they’re playing in Milwaukee, I’m also not passing up a chance to see Front Row Amy.  Other than Mary Hart at Dodger games, I can’t think of any other attractive women regularly showing up behind the plate at a baseball game.  It’s kind of hit-or-miss at any given ball game whether there’ll be hot chicks in the crowd on camera.  When my co-worker went to see the Dodgers for the Fourth of July, I told him to look for Alyssa Milano behind the home dugout.  

Much of the game conversation was informative to me.  I didn’t know that the Brewers had just swept the Cubs in Chicago over the weekend, though I don’t think the standings have changed.  The Rockies swept the Dodgers as well.  It’s killing me that I haven’t been able to listen to Rockies when they’ve doing well.  I almost get the impression that the Cubs and Dodgers are resting up, waiting to turn it on for the playoffs.  Meanwhile, Cleveland’s winning streak continued as they put #19 in a row.  Ueker’s co-host asked him, “You ever seen a winning streak like this?”  “Nope.  Not me.  Nope.”  I was expecting a joke at that point, but he was being serious.  It’s just as well I didn’t see much of the game as it was a 7-0 Pirates blowout.  It looked like a good crowd there at least.

9-12-17
Game 1 of the PCL Championship in Memphis was canceled, perhaps remnants of the hurricane were moving through.  But in more awesome Chihuahuas’ news, I got an e-mail from Tim Hagerty.  Having an unexpected off day, he took a minute to send me a “Thank you” message for sending a link to that article about the Chihuahuas’ disastrous Labor Day game from the other team’s perspective.  I’m glowing.

The MLB free game was the Rangers and Mariners.  My first look at the game was 7-1 Mariners in the third.  Willie Calhoun, the main product of the Yu Darvish trade, was making his first Major League start.  His family was there, cheering him on.  He got his first hit in the first with an RBI.  My next look was in the fourth and it was 7-3.  Joey Gallo and Nomar Mazara had both singled in runs.  Manager Jeff Banister got tossed from dugout for arguing balls and strikes in the inning.  He came out and argued some more before leaving.  On replay, it was a bad call.

Meanwhile, the Indians won their twentieth game in a row.  Corey Kluber had a complete game shutout.  Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks (I was listening to the radio call of the game of course) discussed comparable winning streaks in other sports.  On the other end of the spectrum, the Dodgers continued their losing streak to eleven.  It was 10-3 in the seventh, so the guys continued chatting.  The Twins hit seven home runs in their game tonight.  Their team record was eight against the Senators.  Matt, from DC, was well aware of that one.  Willie Calhoun nearly made a great catch in the eighth, but actually managed to double off a runner for an out anyway.  He’s looking good.  The Rangers were not and lost 10-3.    

9-13-17
There were people here at work tonight doing networking stuff.  I was getting ready for vacation.  Thus, I did not get to listen to much of the PCL Championship Game 1 between the Chihuahuas and the Redbirds.  The game started well for the pups with a double by Travis Jankowski in the first.  The Chihuahuas loaded the bases with two walks, but a double play ended the inning without any runs.  Memphis scored two in the second and two more in the third, including an RBI by their pitcher, 4-0 Redbirds.

I came into the fourth inning as Hunter Renfroe was thrown out at the plate.  But, Tony Cruz drove in a run, and Nick Buss had a pinch hit RBI single, 4-2.  The inning ended with Cruz getting picked off of second.  The Redbirds scored two more in the sixth, 6-2.  In the eighth, the Chihuahuas scored two more of their own, but the inning ended with the bases left loaded.  6-4 was the final.  The crowd there was 3,700 for a weeknight game.  Cleveland 21 straight wins tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment