Thursday, September 7, 2017

NM State Volleyball Springhill Suites Invitational Sept 2, 2017 Part 2



Saturday September 2, 2017
NM State Aggies versus UNLV Running Rebels

And I’m back at the Pan-Am Center for another match today.  I couldn’t exactly hang out at the university for six hours waiting.  I was pleased to see plenty of cars parked there this time.  Adam Young later put the crowd at over 1,000.  The ticket for this game was $7, which is what Aggie sports usually charges for tournaments.  For my dinner, I got the Pete’s Combo for $8, which surprisingly included two small bags of chips.  When I sat down to eat my hot dog, it was nice, plump, tasty, and on a fresh fluffy bun.  Yes!  Finally, a good hot dog at the university.  More like this please!

Going through the concourse, I saw volleyball alumni, Nathalie Castellanos.  I immediately recognized her from playing in the Crimson and White game two weeks ago.  She’s got a distinctive, attractive look.  I definitely enjoyed watching her play.  Up close, Nathalie was taller than on the court, perhaps she was in heels or maybe it was because the other girls around her were taller.  I wanted to chat, but she didn’t look like she did, so I let that go.  Her black, leather jacket did make her more intimidating, while I was juggling a very hot hot dog, two bags of chips, my notebook, and a rolled up poster.  Maybe I’ll run into her in a better mood sometime.

After I got to my seat, I noticed the attractive team assistant I’d seen on Friday at the scorer’s table, standing in front of Adam.  On that note, I was more than pleased that he was going to be radio for the game.  It really adds to the experience.  The schedule didn’t list any games on the radio.  During Adam’s pre-game, I saw team captain Jordan Abalos come by and give him a smile.  Awww.  The family and friends and boosters (not sure exactly who’s there) section below me was nice and full for the girls.   The cheerleaders came in while Taylor Swift’s Look What You Made Me Do was playing.  I suspect I’ll be hearing that song a lot here. 

Damn it!  The girls were having their hit around and I finally saw Megan Hart and why she wasn’t playing Friday.  Her and a teammate (who I couldn’t identify) were both wearing boots.  I was really looking forward to seeing her 6’5”frame blocking in the middle.  Looking at the program, the Aggies have 20 players on the roster (now 18).  The Rebels just brought 13 players.  Given that they were playing twice today, that didn’t look good for them on paper.  On the other hand, with two of our girls in boots and three in knee braces, the Aggies look like a rehab ward.     

We’re ready.  The lights went out and the new intro video played to the tune of Led Zepplin’s Immigrant Song (“We come from the land of the ice and snow . . .”).  Very cool.  Our starters were introduced.  Freshmen Brielle Sterns and Lia Mosher were in.  Sasha-Lee Thomas was not starting.  This was interesting in a worrying sort of way.  The girls tossed little souvenir volleyballs into the crowd.  Jordan and Brielle have good arms on them, tossing to the other end of the court.  The other girls, not so much. 

Set 1
The Aggies dropped the first three points until Kassandra “KC” Tohm got a kill.  Pistol Pete came by and took a picture with a little Aggie fan girl.  Aww.  The score went to 1-6 Rebels.  Coach Mike Jordan had seen enough and called a time out.  He sat the girls down in front of him.  The PA started playing loud music.  There were 1,000 people in the arena making noise.  I was wearing earplugs and listening to the radio call maybe about 15 rows up from the bench. 

I could hear the coach clearly.

He let them have it in screaming tones.  I found myself saying, “Yes, sir.”  Even the cheerleaders throwing t-shirts into the crowd did not help with the collective shock from that dressing down.  The beautiful Norwegian girl on UNLV that I’d noticed in the morning, Thea Sweder, came in, which did make me feel better.  This match got too intense for girl-watching though.  The next point was long, but thankfully the Aggies won it.   

Jordan got her first kill at 3-6.  Sasha came into the game and got her first kill at 8-9.  Her and Lia combined for a block at 9-11.  The score was tied at 13 over a long point with dumps and tips, but won on block by Jordan and Sasha.  13-15 Kaylee Neal came in and was immediately targeted on spikes.  Tatyana Battle started getting the ball for kills late, but the Rebels got to 24.  Her and Jordan got kills and then there was a block to hold off three set points.  Timeout UNLV.  Associate coach Ben Wallis did all the talking to the Aggies.  Coach Jordan probably needed to rest his voice.  The set ended on the next point, a cross court kill from the right side pin.  They did that all during the set.  I think a couple different players were doing it.  The Aggies had no answer for that shot.

Set 2-Rebels 1, Aggies 0           
Brielle got a kill off a Rebel’s face at the beginning of the set.  Reserve player, Bridgette Lowe, was a surprise starter in the set.  She got a tip kill to tie the set at 2.  The girls seemed to rally at her scoring.  Brielle got another kill off a tip on an overpass on one touch and gave the team a lead at 3-2.  Beautiful.  Freshman Natalie Mikels came in and served up an ace that just dropped over the net, getting her and the team fired up.  But she netted it on the next serve.  She just needs more experience.

UNLV got then got three blocks in a row, and the Aggies were firing out of bounds. The Rebels retook the lead at 9-11.  Timeout Aggies.  Brielle got tip kill in a point with several of them on both sides, 11-13.  Bridgette got another kill, 13-14.  Tatyana kill, 14 all.  Brielle got a kill and the Aggies led 15-14.  The score tied again at 16.  Coach Jordan argued that the point was out and the crowd agreed.

KC got into it with a hard kill and then a tip kill. 22-20 Aggies, timeout Rebels.  The crowd started getting into it.  Kaylee came back in and was targeted again, but this time she got the digs.  Jordan got a pair of kills to take it to 24-20 and set point.  The crowd got up and started clapping as the Aggies won it on a service error, 25-20.   

Set 3-Aggies 1, Rebels 1
Intermission was a balloon popping contest with kids.  I went to the bathroom and someone took my seat while I was gone.  I settled in nearby.  There was that Taylor Swift song again.  The PA likes it.  Coach Jordan and coach Wallis both gave Kaylee a hug before the start of the set.     

Sasha got started with a kill on a point with two diving digs, 2-0 Aggies.  Early on, Coach Jordan argued the score with the refs.  Wrong, he ended up saying “I guess I can’t count.”  He got into with them immediately afterward on another touch or out point.  I was getting into this.  I was jumping for balls while still in my seat.

Jordan served up an ace, which started an Aggie run.  7-3 Aggies, Bridgette scored again as she hit the back line on a kill.  11-6 was an epic point with three dump plays, but ended on a net violation for the Aggies.  The Aggies went up 13-6 and UNLV took a timeout.  More t-shirts flew into the crowd.  Even with my other Aggie shirts, I did want the Volleyball shirt.  14-8, Jordan made an “oops, excuse me” overpass that accidentally dropped over the net for an underhanded kill. 

With sides changed back to their original sides in Set 1, the Rebel right side crosscourt attack started working again.  They went on a run that got temporarily broken up on a Jordan kill at 20-16.  At 20-19, the Aggies took a timeout after 8 of 9 points went to the Rebels.  KC got a kill at 20-19, but UNLV answered with that right side attack, 21-20.  Jordan and Sasha got kills.  23-21 a ball dropped untouched between four Aggies.  I suspect the coach will be reviewing that play a couple of times at the next team meeting.  24-24 and the crowd was up and clapping.  Natalie served up another ace to close out the set 26-24.

Set 4 Aggies 2, Rebels 1
The dance cam went Gangnam Style and actually had a couple of girls on the Rebels dancing until the coach got their attention.  Kids were dancing on top of a sideline table.  Back to the action, Sasha and Tatyana got kills early, and Sasha and Bridgette teamed up for a block.  12-9 Aggies, Jordan, with a very soft touch, floated a tip kill in.  13-9, Sasha and Bridgette again with a block.  15-10, Tatyana with another kill.  Timeout UNLV.  During the break, Alison French on the Rebels started dancing to the PA music.  I have to mention this, because she was really working it.

18-11, Bridgette got a hard kill.  19-13 the Aggies won an ugly point, finished by Tatyana getting a tip kill.  Megan Mcguire made her first appearance in the game to serve at 20-14.  It was a late sub and the UNLV coach complained, but it was allowed.  Sasha got a block and then a soft, lefty tip kill to get it to 23-15.  The crowd got up at 24-15.  The Rebels scored a couple more, but a long out serve ended the set and match at 25-17 and 3-1 Aggies. 

The Rebels seemed out of gas by the end.  Even if the Rebels hadn’t played earlier, I think the Aggies still would have won.  UNLV came out sharp, probably because of the early game.  The Aggies may have come out flat from last night’s loss.  Both teams seemed evenly matched, but the home court would have helped the Aggies.  Since both teams were riding three-game losing streaks, they had equal motivation.                    

Coach Jordan still seems to be trying to figure out what he has to work with.  Putting in Bridgette Lowe was inspired.  I don’t know how much she played last week, but I don’t think anyone saw that production coming off the bench.  She was ready.  Kudos to the coach for sticking with Kaylee Neal.  She hadn’t looked good earlier, but she got it together.  Natalie Mikels looked good and bad, like a freshman.  She should get better.  Brielle Sterns looks really good right now.  KC Tohm and Lia Mosher’s time was limited in the game unfortunately.  I know these two can play, so I hope they get worked into the rotation. 

What can you say about the captain, Jordan Abalos?  She led the team in kills (16) and digs (25).  She hit the floor hard a lot, but didn’t seem any worse for wear.  Tatyana Battle was second in kills at 13.  Sasha-Lee Thomas didn’t start, but she was absolutely pivotal.  I hope she’s okay to play most of the time.  Ashley Owens led the Rebels with 12 kills.  The Rebels’ right side attack was devastating.  I hope nobody in conference was watching this game, before the coach can figure how to cover that better. 

Ari Sierra was all over the court with digs.  Even on hits she had no chance on, Ari would end up splayed out on the floor and come up smiling apologetically.  Speaking of smiles, Briana Ainsworth did her usual great job of setting the ball.  Her lovely self and beautiful smile is easy enough to notice by everyone, but her game contributions sometimes get lost in the kills and digs.  She doubled with 31 assists and 12 digs.  Lastly, I kept an eye on freshman Julianna Salanoa on the bench.  She never came in, but was all smiles the entire game and high-fiving teammates at every opportunity.  I want this girl to succeed.  If you’re a reserve now, be the best reserve.  Your time will come. 

Well, I saw a game with no rooting interest and no crowd and a game with a definite favorite and a large crowd today.  Both were very enjoyable in their own ways.  I’ll take the Aggies and the crowd in preference.  I’m not sure what I’ll do next weekend with another invitational.  It’ll depend on the scheduling if I go to the games not involving the Aggies.  These games were a great start to watching live volleyball games this season.  (Keep those fresh buns coming on the hot dogs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment