Tuesday, September 12, 2017

NM State Volleyball Borderland Invitational 9-9-17


Isn’t that a fun picture?

NM State Aggies versus Samford Bulldogs
I flirted with the idea of watching the other teams’ matches today, but decided it was impractical given the time between them.  I can kind of understand the scheduling, but I’d at least consider putting the non-Aggie matches together.  Perhaps run all of the matches together and just sell day passes, like the softball tournaments.  The Rangers were playing the Yankees on TV, so I was busy anyway.

No conflict with a Chihuahuas’ game tonight since they swept their way into the league championship yesterday.  I’m okay with not getting a game under those circumstances.  I tuned into the Aggie/Lobo football game for the pre-game and dropped into an interview with a couple of members of the volleyball team.  No, I’m not sure why.  Maybe they didn’t want to talk about the football team.  I heard Tatyana Battle and, I think, Briana Anisworth being interviewed by Jack Nixon.  Though the volleyball match was going to be on TV with no radio, I took my radio with me anyway, so I could check in on the football.  (Though I was sure they’d announce some updates during the match.)  Before I left, the Aggies had gotten a touchdown off a turnover, but gave up two points on a failed PAT, 6-2 Aggies.      

A good crowd was in the middle of showing up when I got there.  Several young girls were there, who were high school and middle school volleyball players.  I overheard a lady, probably a coach, saying she was hoping her girls could learn some teamwork tonight.  It’s always great to see that kind of community support and also when Aggie teams run clinics for local teams.  The ticket was $5, even though the game was part of a tournament.  Inside, the PA gave a scoring update on the football.  The Aggies had scored again and were still leading. 

“I think I need a loan for this,” said a fellow patron at the concessions.  I felt about the same after surrendering $16 for a drink, pretzel, and a churro.  I also had to wait about 10 minutes for it, so they weren’t ready for the crowd.  At least it tasted good, though I was covered in sugar and salt afterward.  After yesterday’s lighting issues, they didn’t bring them down for the intro video, making it a lot less dramatic.  Lia Mosher and Sasha-Lee Thomas were in as starters.  Ari Sierra and Lia got the biggest cheers during the player intro’s.  

Set 1
Without a radio call, I was lost for counting scoring.  The scoreboard wasn’t showing player kills.  The Aggie girls were spreading the kills around in the first set.  Brielle Sterns and Natalie Mikels came in early.  Natalie had another net serve.  Her serving motion is really awkward (though I saw someone on Samford have the same style, so it’s not unique), but it is effective when gets over the net.  Megan Hart was again in a knee brace.  I noticed Jordan Abalos was limping a little.

The Aggie football team was up 16-5 on the Lobos in Albuquerque, while it was 9-5 Aggies in Las Cruces.  12-6 a ball flew into the stands on an Aggie point.  T-shirts were then tossed into the crowd.  I’m starting to realize how lucky I was to get two shirts here last year.  The PA announced the football score to the cheers of the crowd.  13-6 Tatyana Battle and Ari made some great dives to help win the point.  15-6 Briana Ainsworth got an ace on serve.  19-7 Kaylee Neal came in to big cheer and served up an ace.  22-8 Lia got an awesome kill.  The set ended 15-10 on a KC Tohm kill.  The girls and the crowd were happy.  Coach Jordan was quiet in approval.

Set 2: Aggies 1, Bulldogs 0
23-5 Aggie football at halftime.  The guys were looking good.  The volleyball teams changed sides, and I got a good look at a Samford assistant coach.  This guy had the part in the front of his hair gelled up into a spike.  If he was in a boy band that would probably look appropriate.  4-3 Briana got a really clever dump shot for a point.  From that point on, however, Samford took the lead.  I could see Coach Jordan on the sidelines shaking his head.  At 9-12 Samford, he called a timeout and was remarkably calm-looking while discussing things with the girls.  Meanwhile, banks of lights in the arena kept going on and off, and this was throughout much of the match.  The place is still having electrical problems.

By 10-15, Samford was clearly playing with some confidence.  Jordan and Sasha were getting enough kills to keep the team in it.  13-19 and another Aggie timeout.  15-20 a ball hit the bottom of the video scoreboard over the court.  I’m surprised that doesn’t happen more.  Megan Hart came in at 16-22.  She wasn’t scoring, almost more of a decoy, but the tide started to turn.  21-22 KC got a massive kill and Samford took a timeout to regroup.

I spotted Julianna Salanoa on the sidelines encouraging her teammates.  23-22 the Aggies reclaimed the lead on Ari’s serve.  24-23 KC can do it with a light touch too and got a tip kill.  Natalie came in to serve for the set.  She did get it over, which I thought was encouraging.  Samford was not willing to concede however.  The match went to five set points.  The older fans were getting tired of standing up for them.  Tatyana Battle got a tip kill on an epic point to finally win it.  28-26 Aggies.

Set 3: Aggies 2, Samford 0
What?  No Taylor Swift Look What You Made Me Do over the PA tonight?  Is it already over?  Don’t worry.  She’s released another new song that has a couple of drops in it that will be irresistible for sporting events.  Somebody put me in charge of the music.

The stats finally came up on the scoreboard.  Jordan and Tatyana had 9 kills, KC had 7.  Tatyana and Ari got aces on serve early on.  Samford had their best point at 4-3 (Aggies) on a block and a spike straight down into the floor.  The Aggies returned the favor on the next point, doing the same.  10-7 was a scary point as Jordan dove for a dig and hit the floor hard.  She came up limping.  I’d already noticed her having some trouble walking earlier.  I’m officially worried about Jordan making it through the season.  Nobody can question her heart, but her left knee is truly doubtful.    

Touchdown Aggies!  Third quarter on the field, 30-5 Aggies.  13-11 on the court as Lia crushed a kill to end a Samford run.  14-12 Jordan hit it long on the previous point and came back for a tip kill on this one.  18-13 Brielle got an overpass kill and forced a Samford timeout.  23-16 Jordan Abalos was finally taken out of the match and was replaced with Jordan PleasantsAnalyssa Acosta came in to serve up match point.  25-17 and the Aggies won in straight sets.  Jordan led the team with 12 kills.  Tatyana had 11 kills and Brielle had 8.  That second set was really gritty for the Aggies and showed some good character.  I love these girls.

After I got home, I put the football game on.  Unfortunately, things got interesting in a slowly unfolding horror sort of way.  The Lobos changed quarterbacks in the fourth quarter and rallied (or the Aggies collapsed, I don’t know which since I wasn’t watching the game).  By the end, it was 30-28.  A last minute (okay, last two minutes) failed two-point conversion was the only thing keeping the score from being tied.  All-American running back, Larry Rose III, got the Aggies two first downs to end the game.  Whew!  There’s some more Aggie grit for you.

(No ticket image.  It had a coupon on the back of it and I used it for lunch on Sunday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment