Monday, September 11, 2017

NM State Volleyball Borderland Invitational 9-8-17


Afternoon Match: NM State Aggies versus Abilene-Christian Wildcats

I talked to my dad in the morning and he asked me if I was going to the volleyball game in the afternoon.  I hadn’t even thought of going, even though I could have.  I may be in serious denial about my current work schedule.  Thinking about it, I considered that the match could not have gone long for me to make it to work on time.  Also, I’m never sure about parking at the university during a weekday. 

Not to mention, I’d already planned on listening to the radio broadcast.  Adam Young reported a “light” crowd for this Friday afternoon match, but the “die-hards were there.”  When he’d talked to Coach Jordan at the Aggie Coaches’ Show earlier in the week, Adam mentioned the good crowds of 1,000+ so far.  The coach lamented that they used to recently get 3,000 for rivalry games and once had 7,000 for a game against Hawaii.  (7,000 would be a good crowd for a Men’s basketball game against a conference opponent these days.)  At least the crowd that was there sounded good.

Regardless of the crowd for a Friday afternoon game, it had to be more embarrassing that the arena couldn’t get the lights back on after the team intro video.  This isn’t the first technical glitch I’ve seen during an event at the Pan-Am Center.  This created a 20-minute delay, which if I had been there, would have really made me nervous about the time.  However, the girls made the best of it.  Adam reported that both teams were on the court dancing to the PA music to entertain the crowd.  When I saw a video of it on the team Twitter feed in the evening, I completely and totally regretted not being there.  Both teams were doing an “Electric Slide-ish” routine that was too cute for words. 

Set 1
The match seemed like almost an afterthought in comparison.  The Aggies started their regulars for the game with KC Tohm, Lia Mosher, and Sasha-Lee Thomas out there.  I didn’t take point-for-point notes; I just hit the highlights.  Ari Sierra dropped in two aces in the set, and Tatyana Battle shined on kills with five.  25-17 Aggies.

Set 2 Aggies 1, Wildcats 0
The Coach got “yellow carded” for arguing a double contact called on Lia.  “I don’t care,” he said.  I didn’t even know they handed out soccer-like cards for volleyball.  Freshman Lia Mosher played well, but I think she’s been called for that a few times.  KC got in on the kills and Tatyana was up to 10.  25-17 Aggies.

Set 3 Aggies 2, Wildcats 0
This set was tight.  The Wildcats lead through most of it.  Coach Jordan called a timeout late when the team went down by two.  It worked and the team rallied to a 25-22 Aggie set win and 3-0 match win.  Freshman Natalie Mikels looked good and bad during the set, but I think more good things are to come from her.  Tatyana Battle pounded it with 17 kills.  KC Tohm had 10.  Briana Anisworth had another double-double in assists and digs.  This was a pretty efficient match for the Aggies, and it needed to be.  They had another match in about three hours.


Evening Match: NM State Aggies versus Delaware State Hornets.

Work definitely interfered with me going to this match.  I would have wanted to go to this match.  Adam said the Aggie reserves were going to do most of the playing in this match, and I would have liked to have seen them play.  This personnel decision was driven by the early game and a Saturday game tomorrow.  Certainly it was also rather sporting of the coach.  The Hornets had not won a set so far this season. 

Set 1
Most of the regulars did start, except for team captain, Jordan Abalos.  Most of them cycled out fairly quickly.  Freshman Julianna Salanoa came in and got a kill.  I’m hoping to be right about her being great in the future.  The coach and the assistant coaches complained to the refs about Delaware State serving out of rotation, twice.  It was not called.  Analyssa Acosta came in on defense and made a couple of good digs.  She seemed sweet when I met her last year, so I’m glad she’s doing well.  Ari Sierra chipped in a couple of assists during the set.  Kaylee Neal served an ace.  25-11 Aggies.

Set 2 Aggies 1, Hornets 0
Megan Hart came in.  Yea!  She had a sprain, but was doing better and got a kill.  KC Tohm got in on the kills this set.  Julianna got in on the blocks.  A “pancake dig” was called on a play against the Aggies.  The Coach and Ari questioned why the refs didn’t whistle the play when it happened and let everyone keep playing.  Natalie Mikels put in an ace.  Adam mentioned how accomplished she was in high school play.  Out of rotation service was finally called on the Hornets, twice.  From playing PE and intramurals at school, I remember service turns were always confusing.  Still, it shouldn’t happen at this level.  Megan McGuire came in and served set point.  25-14 Aggies.

Set 3 Aggies 2, Hornets 0

Jordan Abalos came in to start the set.  Where’s Bridgette Lowe, last week’s hero?  Adam briefly mentioned she was injured.  Julianna served up an ace.  Jordan Pleasants came in for Jordan Abalos and served well too.  Lia Mosher got the kill on match point.  25-13 Aggie set win and 3-0 match win.  KC Tohm led with 12 kills.  Ari Sierra had 16 digs, including her 1,000.  Briana Ainsworth had 19 assists.  The Aggies took care of business today, even the reserves.  I hope this is a good confidence builder.

No comments:

Post a Comment