Friday, September 29, 2017

NM State Aggies vs UTEP Miners Volleyball 9-19-17


This regional rivalry event was the featured outing for my vacation, so I was looking forward to it.  Aggie Athletic Director, Mario Moccia, was on El Paso Sports Talk on the radio yesterday to promote the football game between the Aggies and Miners this weekend.  He made a point of promoting this volleyball match too, and that free tacos would be distributed there.  That last part seemed to pique the interest of the show’s audience.

Just as a bit of a sidebar, Director Moccia really made an honest plea for El Paso fans to come to the football game, all but saying “We need the money.”  He’d even gone to see UTEP’s game against Arizona last weekend as a “date night” with his wife.  Yeah, I don’t think an athletic director taking his wife to a rival school’s football game qualifies as a date either, unless she’s really into football.  He also talked about the “Stuff the Stadium” promotion against Troy last weekend.  I didn’t write the numbers down at the time, but I think this about right.  He’d said there were 15,000 at the game.  100 local businesses bought 7,500 tickets.  The university doesn’t jack with attendance figures as policy, they just count everyone who comes through the gate, though he wasn’t sure that the student fan count was correct at the game.  Wow, 100 businesses bought half the tickets for the game!  That’s some impressive community outreach and support.  Like I wrote elsewhere, they should build on that.

I went early to the volleyball game, expecting a good crowd.  There were already a good number of people there.  I might put the crowd at 2,000+ when the match started (and they stayed to the end).  [Edit: It was officially 1,200.]  It seemed like there were more students than usual too.  (I might have seen the soccer team there, returning the favor to volleyball team.)  I’m not sure there was much UTEP representation, but certainly they were drowned out if they were there.  Tickets for the game were $7, $2 more than usual for a single game.  “$7?  Are we paying UTEP to come here and lose?” said one fan in the ticket office.  I was okay with it for this particular match.  Like Mario more-or-less said, they need the money.

The game programs have been disappointing.  It’s just the rosters, no stats or even the team record.  No new posters either.  (I’m kind of hoping for nice Jordan and KC posters.  The player pictures are better this year than last year.)  There was a table where they may have been giving out free t-shirts in return for pledging not to rape anybody.  I wasn’t quite sure.  The university department head in charge of the program was introduced on court during the match.  The PA actually stumbled over the name of the department because it was so long.  My only comment here is that I’m currently reading Milo Yiannopoulos’ book, Dangerous, and enjoying it.  If university invited him to speak (UNM did), he might have something else to say.

One item on the table was a brochure for the Aggie Volleyball Sideout Club.  I’d heard about this and wondered about the details.  It takes in money from the fans just for the volleyball team.  For $75, you get a t-shirt.  (If it was that red camo Aggie shirt I’ve been wanting, I might be sending them a check right now.)  Starting at the $125 level, you get a pass to their social dinners.  I’ve seen pictures.  You get to sit down and eat with the girls.  Taking a cue from Aggie soccer fans, you could go around the tables and scream directly at the girls to play better.  Starting at $500, you get a signed volleyball.  That would look nice on the mantle.  At the top level, $5000, you get hugs and kisses from the girls.  Oh, I read that wrong (maybe some wishful thinking).  You get a championship pendent if they win and a hug from Coach Mike Jordan (or at least you should).  Tonight’s game had an honorary fan coach, who got to sit on the bench and then listen to the coach chew the girls out.  This fan might have been part of the club. 

I’m not dismissing this.  I hope the other teams have similar clubs.  Under other personal circumstances, I’d consider joining.  There’s quite a few different ways to contribute to Aggie athletics beyond buying single-game tickets.  It might be good if a comprehensive list, along with fan benefits, was produced and made available at all Aggie sporting events.            
 
I picked the $6 Kid’s Meal at the concessions.  It was cheaper than the $8 Pete’s Combo, and I wanted popcorn instead of chips.  I can’t figure out the pricing.  Hot dogs are $2 outside the Pan Am Center, and $5 at the Pan Am Center, where I think the grill actually is.  And I’m still convinced they’re leftovers from this weekend’s football game.  (Hey, when the buns are stale again this week, like they were at soccer on Sunday, I make assumptions.)  I question drink sizes and pricing too.  Most value meals at fast food places virtually give you the drink, since it’s the least expensive part of the meal, but here the soda and water are near premium items.  If the food was better and had more variety, you could charge more and have happier fans.  This happens with the Chihuahuas’ concessions.  People don’t like the prices, but do like the food.  I’ve heard UTEP partners with local restaurants for a great menu (okay, maybe it wouldn’t be a terrible place to take a date).  This is a glaring and fixable problem with Aggie athletics.  What a great opportunity to partner with some local food establishments (and then later have your menu called “racist,” like the ’88 Beer incident).                   

No radio call tonight, since it’s on Aggievision.  Adam Young’s Tuesday Coaches Show was even cancelled.  (I wonder if I missed him saying the show would be on another day this week.)  Out on court, the teams were practicing.  The UTEP girls were nearly all tall and lean, like the UCLA team.  I don’t know anything else about them.  There were some little girls from a local volleyball team out on court as ballgirls.  One of them was wearing a knee brace.  That just hurt to see on somebody that young.  Coach Jordan chatted amicably with a couple of fans in the section behind the bench.  Out on court, Coach Ben Wallis hit a dig up to the ceiling and got a round of applause from the girls.  Pistol Pete went by the press table and said “Hello” to the PA.  This was a different Pete than before, he looks good, though on Flex Cam later, he posed with a baby and the baby started crying.  Just after I sat down to eat, I was wondering if I’d hear my favorite Aggie PA tune Lean On, and there it was immediately.  I took that as a very good sign. 

UTEP only brought 13 players, while the Aggies have 20, though at least one couldn’t play, probably more.  Bridgette Lowes’ hand was still wrapped, but she was practicing.  Megan Hart looked like she was jumping well in practice.  Julianna Salonoa was all smiles, but didn’t play.  (I’m just itching for her to play and do well.  I may be waiting until next year.)  Jordan Abalos looked serious and unhappy.  Here’s one case, where I wish I could talk to a player and say something encouraging.  Up on the video board, there was an image advertising season tickets which showcased her . . . well . . . chest, but I don’t think that was bothering her.  (Out of the all the promotional pictures of Jordan the marketing department must have, they picked a headless one?)

Another message on the board promoted a Homecoming-ish rally downtown on October 20.  It’s going to be a free event and feature all the Aggie teams.  This is a nice idea (I’ll be at work though).  A group of students were settled next to the Miner bench, but I don’t think they were giving the team too much trouble (maybe they were from UTEP).  For the introductions, the lights went out and the team video played.  Some of the Miners were watching it.  I held my breath (as probably did the arena staff) and thankfully the lights came back up.  I guess they fixed that problem.

Photo from Las Cruces Sun-News

This picture came out after the match on Thursday.  My dad immediately noticed me in the upper right of the picture.  I took the picture to work and the security officer said, "Oh, I thought I saw you in that picture this morning."  That's very observant.  I just wish the picture featured me standing and cheering.  Great shot of Lia Mosher

Set 1
Two and a half pages in, let’s actually talk about the match.  Ari Sierra put in an ace at 3-1, Aggies.  Megan Hart started.  She had a good idea on an overpass, but hit it out, 4-2, but she came back on a messy point with a kill, 5-3.  6-5 KC Tohm was called for a foul.  The coach got on to ref and the fans joined in heckling like it was a baseball game.  KC came back with a tip kill at 7-5.  It’s always good to see the girls get a good play right after a bad one.  10-8 was a point with epic digging and was finished by Sasha-Lee Thomas with a hard kill. 

12-8 Briana Ainsworth served in an ace.  Her next two points were hard fought, but went to the Aggies.  Timeout.  The place erupted for a cheerleader t-shirt toss into a crowd.   Briana also got a soft little tip for a kill at 15-10.  16-11 Sasha buried a kill into two defenders.  17-12, Tatyana Battle laid out diving for a ball and just missed.  Ari piped up and yelled out encouragement to the team.  As I’ve mentioned before, she is their vocal leader.  17-15, the coach was about to blow after two balls in a row were hit out. 

Photo from Las Cruces Sun-News

21-17 timeout UTEP.  While Coach Wallis spoke to one of the girls individually, Coach Jordan stared at the players sitting on the bench for a minute while waiting for her.  That was more intimidating than when he actually starting yelling at them.  This guy is terrifying.  I don’t know if he should be coaching young women, maybe leading Marines over a hill under fire.  22-17 Jordan served an ace, which was part of a good run on her serve.  Her balls arced over the net and straight down to the floor.  It seemed like an unexpected trajectory from a standing serve and caused the defenders problems.  There were three set points for the Aggies before Lia Mosher finished it with a kill at 25-19.                                  

Set 2: Aggies 1, Miners 0
This game started well with an overpass kill by Brielle Sterns, 1-0 Aggies.  2-1 Ari and Tatyana made a couple of great digs, but it was a UTEP point.  The Miners followed up with a dump kill and an overpass kill and started to take the lead.  4-7 UTEP, Jordan missed on a kill.  I looked up at the scoreboard.  She had no kills to that point.  5-7 Sasha got a kill to break up a UTEP run.  6-10 UTEP, a ball dropped in the middle of the Aggie side of the court.  A knowledgeable fan behind me started yelling at the girls to cover the middle.  Was it an Aggie soccer fan?  (I was making a joke about this at the Sunday soccer match and here it was actually happening.) 

The Aggies managed to get back in with some great block kills from the Sasha and Brielle working together.  Sasha got a kill to tie it at 12 and the lead at 14-13 with Brielle on a block.  18-15 Jordan got her first kill on a tip.  19-16 Jordan hit one hard enough at a defender that the crowd actually gasped.  It wasn’t a kill, but the Miners didn’t get it back over.  I sense Jordan was taking out some frustration with that shot.  24-19 Briana saved a point on a Miner dump shot.  On set point, the crowd started doing the “Aggies!” chant that usually only comes up during basketball games.  25-19 Sasha and Brielle again on a block for the set.

Set 3: Aggies 2, Miners 0
And here it was, the moment we were all waiting for at halftime: free tacos.  They were rolled tacos, so I didn’t care, but the cheerleaders had no trouble handing them out to fans not so picky.  A remix of Herb Alpert’s Tequila played, while the PA riffed over it.  Director Moccia came in on the sidelines to supervise.  It was another great moment in Aggie athletics. 

1-2 UTEP, the Miners got in an ace, but in the middle of three net serves early in the set.  Sasha didn’t start.  6-7 UTEP, KC had a kill.  She just majestically flew through the air for it.  (They know they look cool out there, don’t they?)  7-9 UTEP, the Miners won an epic point.  It felt like it took a full minute to play out.  9-10 UTEP, Sasha got a kill to change the momentum.  Ari came up to serve and got four straight points to 14-13 Aggies.  Her serves were going right to the back line, but too close to let go. 

19-15 Tatyana took three swings on the point before getting the kill.  21-15 Sasha got her tenth kill.  21-16 Kaylee Neal had two fantastic digs that covered both ends of the court.  The crowd gave her the loudest cheer of the night.  Annoyingly, the Aggies didn’t win that point.  Sasha came up big with two more kills to finish at 12 for the night.  On the first match point, Jordan Pleasants came in to serve.  Jordan Abalos got her fourth kill to end it, 25-18 and 3-0 Aggies.

Like I said, I don’t know anything about UTEP’s team, but they played hard, occasionally showing some nerves (especially on serve).  They were just out-muscled, specifically by the Aggies’ Jamaican import, Sasha-Lee Thomas.  Once again, she took over a match, smacking unstoppable kills directly into the court like she was pounding nails.  She got in her big points in an absolutely demoralizing fashion against the Miners.  Not to mention, Sasha was putting up a wall at the net on defense.  Tatyana Battle put 9 kills and KC Tohms (I think) had 8.  With those three on, it was going to be hard to win against the Aggies. 

Of course the name missing from this list is the captain, Jordan Abalos.  She played the entire the match and probably had her usual double-digit digs and was enthusiastic by the end of the match.  She just didn’t get her usual double-digit kills.  Like I said, she looked unhappy before the match started.  Is she injured?  I’ve seen Jordan come up hurting from diving on the floor for digs, not jumping from spikes or blocks.  If she’s not right, the team has plenty of defensive players that could have cycled in for her for a few points.  Did the coach designate the other girls as the main attack options to see how they’d do?  If that wasn’t it, at least they did do a good job in Jordan’s offensive absence.  Jordan is awesome regardless.                   

I’d hoped Megan Hart would see significant time since she started, but I don’t think I saw her in after the first set.  I’ve seen her be good on offense on a bad leg.  She can jump now, so she should be even better.  I think Megan needs more playing time to be a force.  That time could be hard to find with freshmen Lia Mosher and Brielle Sterns doing so well on defense.  Pairing Brielle and Sasha on defense is working very well.  I get a sense that Coach Jordan is still trying to figure out what he has to work with on the team and who he can depend on.  I think the team got caught short-handed at the end of last season in perceived talent, though perhaps not actual talent.  I hope nobody gets sold short on a chance, because you never know when you’re going to need another option.        

When I got home, I got a little bonus volleyball on the Stadium Network.  It was another Mountain West game, this time between Nevada and San Jose St.  Unlike, Boise St.’s full gym (9-15-17), Nevada’s was just about empty for this match.  I think the Aggies could have taken either of these two teams from what I saw.  Hey, they’re playing that Lean On song there, too!  It was great to see such a well-attended match and passionate crowd at the Pan Am Center.  The Aggies really took care of business tonight, which is good to see before conference play.   

No comments:

Post a Comment