Thursday, May 14, 2020

Artifact: Computerworld Sept 1999 Goes to Burning Man

Does it seem a little weird that a computer trade industry magazine for professionals featured an article on a bunch of crazy drug addicts in the dessert?  In 1999, Burning Man was a bit more of a novelty than a pagan festival for high millennials.  The reporting angle showed what various computer professionals, who were way cooler than you, did in their spare time.  Whatever.  I thought it was interesting.

I used to read these magazines all the time at work as my boss got them for free from the various publishers.  I wish I had saved more of my favorite articles from those magazines.  There was a  great Blair Witch/Windows 95 parody in one that I remember reading (but not any of the details).  There was one article where a network administer tried to book a trip to a convention online and then work away from the office on the trip.  The guy tested his out-of-office auto-reply by sending himself an e-mail, which sent the e-mail server into a loop and crashed it.  His online reservations didn't work out either and he got stranded, "I'm standing on the corner of Winslow, Arizona and am in no mood to sing the rest of the song."  (Computing has come a long way since the 90's.) 

This was a tabloid format magazine, so sorry about the formatting here.   






No comments:

Post a Comment