Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Mike's Southwest Travels: Sitting Bull Falls

Main Index

Sitting Bull Falls

September 3, 2005

Location:  Guadalupe Mountains near
Carlsbad, New Mexico

Excerpted from:  http://www.waterfalls-guide.com/nm_sitting_bull_falls.htm
You would never expect to see a 130 foot waterfall here but it is real. A regular desert oasis, picnic tables, camping sites, plenty of hiking trails and even some great swimming pools should really help make this a great visit.


Excerpted from:   Guadalupe Back Country Byway Biking, caving, horseback riding, backpacking, hunting, picnicking, and wildlife viewing await you on this Back Country byway managed by the Bureau of Land Management. This is an opportunity not to be missed.




    
Really.  This place is simply enchanting.  However, the Falls aren't well known and it's a shame.  Twenty minutes from Carlsbad, the Falls are too far away from actual civilization to get much publicity, while simultaneously being overshadowed by the famous Carlsbad Caverns.

And then there are people who really go to an extreme to see the Falls.

Excerpted from: http://www.freedom.org/prc/news/19990901/wally.html


Two German air force jets apparently collided during a training flight over southeastern New Mexico on Friday. The four pilots bailed out over Sitting Bull Falls, landed on a cattle and sheep ranch and were taken to a local hospital.



 
There's a fine recreation area at the foot of the falls and even two scenic rest  stops on the trail to the top.



There was a nice crowd out at Sitting Bull Falls over Labor Day.  The girl was not there when I was there.  Unfortunately, all I got were pictures of boys playing in the water.  But I'm forgetting all that and posting the girl's picture anyway and building an elaborate fabricated memory about it.



Not to say I didn't get some hot sex at the Falls.  Regrettably, I was not directly involved in said act.  This is one of the springs on the mountain that produce one of the falls.  It's also apparently a romantic spot for couples to throw inhibition to the wind, cast off their clothing, and make passionate love...for the passing amusement of fellow hikers, such as myself.  I had the decency to respect their modesty and not take their picture in such a delicate state.  Also, they weren't very good looking.


Here's the spring at the top.  Yes, right past that clump of grass is the quick way off the mountain.  You might not want to skinny dip there.


What I really wanted to do was visit the Caves of Sitting Bull Falls (say it with a deep echoing voice).  Apparently they were damaged by a rockslide from a freezing spell, but are still pretty impressive.  The caves are supposedly dangerous and climbers are not allowed in without a permit.  "That doesn't apply to me," I confidently said, as I worked my way up to the cave.  Suddenly, a park ranger appeared out of the brush, "Say, son, you wouldn't be thinking about going into them there dangerous caves there were you?"  "Why, no, Mr. Ranger," I said replied as I watched him fondle his large caliber handgun, "I must have gotten lost.  Excuse me, I'll just be on my way."   I wasn't going to contest the logic of man willing to shoot me to death to save my life.


Somehow this weasel got into the caves.  Look at him just sitting there, all smug and happy, mocking me.  Oh, well, maybe next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment