Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Artifacts: USS Ranger 1960 Yearbook Intro


Meet Seaman Stanley "Dusty" Rhodes.  (Not to be confused with that wrestler guy.)  Mr. Rhodes was a former boyfriend of my mom.  He gave her his yearbook from returning from a tour on the USS Ranger aircraft carrier.  (I did do review of a magazine on carrier operations.)  After mom died, dad unsurprisingly didn't want to keep the book.  (Dad was also in the Army.)  Dad did make an effort to find him.  I did some Internet searching and talked to a relative, but to no avail.  So, I am now in possession of the book.


Inside the front cover were a few loose items, including the picture.  There were a couple of local news articles about the deployment and a Billboard Hot 100.  Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis was #1 in the nation at this time. 





Inside the front cover in the upper left was Dusty's inscription to mom.


I photographed the pages in the book for these postings.  They're going to be a little rough, but if I'd tried to put this huge book on the scanner I'd never have gotten this done.


No comments:

Post a Comment