Monday, August 24, 2020

Pre-Labor Day Sports Update Part 1

I think I meant to do this after Labor Day, but with the Indy 500 this weekend, this seemed like a better time.  Admittedly, this is going to be more sports social commentary than recapping the action.  I have not been taking notes while watching sports.  I’m still on hiatus from writing. 

MLB 
Since the last time I wrote, my schedule has changed back to working at night, instead of during the day.  I’m personally ambivalent about the change, but it has allowed me to watch quite a bit more baseball, which is an upgrade in that respect.  The downside is that I don’t know what to do with myself during the day before I go to work.  I had no idea I was writing so much before.  Apparently, that was most of what I used to do.  Instead, I’ve been drawing.  I’ve already posted some sketches.  I’ll be posting some more after this.

After the debacle of MLB’s opening weekend social justice extravaganza, they mostly settled down to just broadcasting the games.  They’ve tried some unsubtle BLM sign placement at times.  One was a white guy in a BLM t-shirt strategically placed for a constant camera view during a FOX national game.  The A’s have put a BLM logo on their mound.  (Most teams have put additional advertising there.)  The damage has likely already been done to their ratings.  At least MLB has been smart enough to basically stop the messaging.  The NBA’s continued BLM flogging is killing their playoff TV viewing.

I’ve been able to watch parts of several games every night at work.  One night, I saw four games, including two walk-off wins.  MLB.TV, MLB Network, FOX Sports AZ (Diamondbacks), FOX, ESPN, and FS1 are all showing games at night during the week.  When the season is over, it’s going to suck and get real boring. 

I’ll just comment on a couple of game items.  The “Slam” Diego Padres have been awesome lately.  They hit grand slams in four consecutive games.  No other team has ever done that.  A potential coincidence was that they were playing the hapless Rangers at the time.  Fernando Tatis Jr. caused a small unwritten rules controversy by hitting one of those slams on a 3-0 count with the team already up big late.  I have no opinion.

On the weekend, a Mexican station has been showing games on Saturday and Sunday.  Unfortunately, the Sunday game usually conflicts with seeing dad, but I’ve been able to see the Saturday night games.  Tonight, I saw my first Braves home game.  They’ve already had to change the name on their stadium.  I guess their sponsoring bank got bought out.  Their mascot, Blooper, is the only one I’ve seen working a game.  You could see him in the background heckling Bryce Harper of the Phillies whenever he came to bat.

WWE
Still the most entertaining sport this summer.  If you say that it’s not a competition and that the outcomes are predetermined, why do you watch the NFL?  The closest the WWE has come to any social justice messaging was having a bunch of BLM-like thugs attack their performance center in a riot.  I wasn’t able to quite follow that storyline, but I think some wrestler was behind it.  They have moved their matches to an arena with a bunch of video screens in the stands with video camera views of fans in the audience.  Interesting concept. 

MLS
I’m certain this will be the only time I ever mention Major League Soccer.  They allowed a few fans at one of their matches and proceed to kneel in front of them during the Anthem.  The crowd promptly booed and then chanted, “USA!  USA!”  Afterward in an interview, a player referred to their own fans as “disgusting.”  Apparently, they’d embarrassed them in front of the other team.  Meanwhile, I’ve noticed in Mexican soccer, they’ve superimposed fan cam videos in the stands for their broadcasts.

NHL
Hockey initially had their players standing for the Anthem, which included the Canadian Anthem.  Then NBC got a hold of them demanded social justice.  A couple of players kneeled at a game.  One confused player even did it during the Canadian Anthem.  Canadian viewers likely had a confused reaction, “What’s up with that, eh?” 

During an intermission period of a game, they had a black actor/singer/whatever lecture all the players and viewing audience on how racist they all are and how disadvantaged he was.  This was certainly the case.  Here he was all rich and famous and me, and probably most of the people watching, didn’t know who the F he was. 

The NHL was flashing a “We skate for black lives” sign during games.  This weekend, they changed it to, “We skate for victory.”  I don’t know if there’s more to the message, if it means anything or is just a playoff marketing slogan.  In any case, they no longer seem to be pushing The Agenda.

UTEP
Briefly, I thought there was a possibility of seeing live Volleyball or even Women’s Soccer (damn, I’m desperate, aren’t I?).  Up until Friday, Conference-USA had not canceled their fall sports.  Perhaps me and Ron could maybe go to a game in El Paso and see UTEP volleyball.  (It’s not a total betrayal.  Their coach was a former Aggie assistant coach.  Their graduate assistant is a former Aggie star player.)  Unfortunately, under New Mexico’s current quarantine rules, I’d be under house arrest for two weeks if I went out-of-state to go (unless I could call it a business trip). 

By Friday, it didn’t matter.  Their conference went ahead and canceled volleyball and soccer.  Football, meanwhile, is still going forward.  The Miners have a full schedule, albeit including several FCS teams.  I don’t know if I’m desperate enough for live sports to go and see bad college football, but end the quarantine and who knows?  On a slightly related note, the El Paso Locomotive will be allowing a limited number of fans for their games in Southwest University Park.  For their sakes, here’s hoping there’s no kneeling.  Most of their players are international anyway.  Why would they care about American social issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment