Friday, December 18, 2020

Photo Bomb: El Paso Air Show 1

El Paso used to host the Amigo Airshow.  These pictures are from 1987.  I think it was held at Biggs Army Airfield.  There was a big crowd there that year and it was fun.  The airshow is long gone unfortunately.  


I was in a photography class in high school, and I took my new 35mm camera out to the show.  I had the pictures developed at a store since we only did black and white developing (and I didn't want to ruin the film).  I took the pictures to class to show the teacher and everyone.  I don't even think it was part of an assignment; I just wanted to show off the pictures.  One display I don't have any pictures of are of the Blue Angels.  I remember seeing them perform here once, but maybe it was a previous year where I wasn't taking pictures.  They were flying A-4 Skyhawks at the time.  One of them snuck up on the crowd and let off a roar while everyone was looking in the other direction.  They were demonstrating how quiet the planes could be on approach.  The crowd was a little jumpy after that.  


There was another time when the Golden Knights performed a skydiving routine.  That was pretty cool.  I do mean the Army parachute team, not the hockey team.  Pushing a hockey team out of a plane probably wouldn't have been as entertaining.  


That looks like an A-7 Corsair do a bombing demonstration, which I don't think involved any actual bombs.  Unfortunately, I can't remember anything else about the display.  




This is an A-10 Warthog on static display.  I was trying to photograph the planes at interesting angles.


Here's a B-52.  It is big.  I don't think they allowed tours inside of it.


Here's its radar-controlled tail gun.  


Here's an F-16.  Great dynamic lines on this plane.  I tried to make it look the plane was in motion with this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment