Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Photo Bomb: Old School

I took a couple of photography classes in school.  I had a nice 35mm camera, which my parents bought for me and absolutely never let me forget how much it cost.  They had some hope I might use the skill for a job someday.  Some much for that.  Now the camera is just a museum antique.  My parents were not happy with that investment.  


In high school, the dark room was an oversized closet and lacked a red light, so you had to load and unload your camera in darkness.  I lost several rolls of film having problems misloading film on to reels for developing.  I did the whole thing making prints with the chemicals: developer, stop bath, fixer.  I know this might be hard to believe for younger people, as well as people who only ever dropped film cartridges off at the drug store for processing.    


This first one is a Halloween picture of a friend striking a pose in costume.



I set the camera on automatic and timed a dunk on my Nerf Hoop.  To the left is my wipe board, where I tracked the comics I was collecting.


I also took a photography class in college, but that was mostly because I was getting my feet wet at community college before picking a major.  For a summer semester, I took this and an art appreciation class.  (Yes, really.)  I already posted a couple of photos of my baseball hats here.  The Tigers hat was my favorite.  Yes, it was inspired by Magnum P.I., but also the Tigers were good in the 80's.   The Orioles hat at the bottom my dad brought back from going to a game when he was on a business trip to Baltimore.


In that art appreciation class, there was a beautiful girl named Angelique.  The photography class first assignment was, surprise, to take some pictures.  During a break in art class, I brazenly went up to her and asked to take her picture.  She very generously obliged.  I never had a chance with her, but we were friendly for a while.


I turned in this picture for the assignment and mounted it on a matte board.  She also signed her name in my notebook, so I mounted that on the board as well.  Yeah, that is rather 80's hair and wardrobe with the rolled up jeans.


I should have posed these pictures better.  There's a dude laying out in the background behind her.


No comments:

Post a Comment